Sponsored

Vacuum display in dash?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
I think I will swap it out for a clock...or maybe a compass like the old timers use to put on their dash back before navigation. :D
So replace the dial that is outdated for another dial that's also outdated?

Okay.

:shrug:

DFW Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 BMW M3 / pending 2018 GT PP1
seems like a great opportunity for one of the Forum Sponsors to create a niche aftermarket upgrade ....

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
So replace the dial that is outdated for another dial that's also outdated?

Okay.

:shrug:
Analog clocks are on their way back in. ;)

Though, I remember when analog clocks where THE most important gauge on a pony car's dash. Typically larger than any other gauge, and size always determines importance. :amen:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
As useful as a dwell meter is today. Very old school and out of date.
Lee
When having car trouble away from home base no applicable tool is "out of date"...

a dwell meter would not be an applicable tool for electronic ignition... besides, with points problems just throw some emery cloth at it an it'll get you home.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Analog clocks are on their way back in. ;)
Hope so. I told a millennial to turn something clockwise and they didn't know that that meant.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hm.. interesting read. I have to tell you that it's not uncommon for my gauge to be under 10 when at the freeway at 6th gear @65-75 mph and gently accelerating or going slight uphill.

Anyine gets it in this area under conditions above?

P.S. I think given its position it's a nice gauge to have... All other propositions are dupes - oil temp, clock and compass are all present in various displays already. Any gauge at this position is going to be hard to read at track as you'd need to divert your eyes for too much from the road. At this position you could fit something that's more useful for the passenger than the driver.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Hm.. interesting read. I have to tell you that it's not uncommon for my gauge to be under 10 when at the freeway at 6th gear @65-75 mph and gently accelerating or going slight uphill.

Anyine gets it in this area under conditions above?
A sharp drop and then steady rise is normal during acceleration.

If you're under 10 in.Hg under steady load, you'll want to diagnose that issue.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
A sharp drop and then steady rise is normal during acceleration.

If you're under 10 in.Hg under steady load, you'll want to diagnose that issue.
at 6th speed rmps are at around 1800-200 rmps. I do not want to accelerate hard being in 6th gear. If I need to accelerate quickly I downshift to 5th.

At 6th I "slightly" press gas pedal down, literally in a matter of milimiters and wait for speed to gain 5mph or so. And it takes time, like a minute sometimes. So during this slow acceleration it might stay between 5 and 10. Once I'm back to speed maintaining mode with no uphills it'd go back to ~15.

It can also be under 10 at 6th if I go uphill and press gas pedal down in order not to loose speed... of course, I'm not doing this for steep hills and rather downshift.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Vacumn gauges also provide information about the internal condition of your engine if you know how to read them.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Vacumn gauges also provide information about the internal condition of your engine if you know how to read them.
If it were an actual vacuum gauge and not a processed output from a sensor connected to a computer. In this application, it is fairly useless, and really just a throttle position indicator.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. i knew what it was, dodge used to have one in the center of the cluster on some cars in the 60's, said 'Power Gauge' on it. Good to see if you have a vacuum leak, not good for much else. Swapped mine out for a GT350 Gauge last month, Pressure and Temp. Plug and play, as stated. :clap2:

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
It's more of a throttle position display! No/low throttle the gauge points left, give her gas and the gauge swings right. Rev it up and it swing back and forth like a tach. When my passengers ask I tell them it swings back and forth to impress them :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hope so. I told a millennial to turn something clockwise and they didn't know that that meant.
Doesn’t surprise me - you should see it when they actually have to talk to someone in person, or pick up a REAL phone and deal with customers... like a deer in headlights... :lol:

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Has anyone swapped in a nice set of Autometer gauges into the perf pack dash bezel in place of the ford gauges?
Sponsored