Sponsored

V6 - Saving up for Mods, got some questions.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
So a question about gears, what would it be like to go to 3.55 gears? Ive read people suggest doing that, but would it matter for the V6?

Can I just buy the gears and have a shop put them in?
Okay gears...for you it won't be hard because you have a manual so the swap doesnt require reprogramming of the BCM....now before everyone jumps on me and says that it may or not be true for manuals....I have had zero issues with my swap. Alright, back to it. So the gear change for our cars can be done a few ways since the s550 rocks an IRS suspension.

1. Just buy a used 3.55 or 3.73 gear differential IRS housing or what we call the IRS pumpkin. Link to one below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-17-Ford-Mustang-3-55-Ratio-Rear-Carrier-Differential-OEM-6k-Miles/192874448024?epid=19019593179&hash=item2ce8368498:g:HSUAAOSwxXZcno~d&LH_All=1

You can find them for cheaper if your patient and look around. Shelby auctions on eBay usually has the best deals. I and many others snagged ours shipped for about 350ish from them.

If you go this route you can actually perform the install yourself with a friend. Plus, you can sell your stock IRS pumpkin and make a buck. Easy.

2. Find a someone who wants to swap their 3.55 or 3.73 IRS pumpkin with yours. You would be surprised how many people do this. It's because someone goes turbo or supercharger and wants a lower gear ratio. In other cases they want to improve gas mileage and make their daily drive easier.

3. You buy just the gears and an install kit. Link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-9000-883...869905&hash=item33c1bad55c:g:dgcAAOSwn7JYD7p4

However, it may seem cheaper, but you have to have a shop do this. Well that is unless you know a guy or you have experience doing this job. This can be a pricey install and all the cost saved is either exceeded or becomes awash. Also, you won't have an extra IRS pumpkin to sell or keep.

Last thing. Check your stock gears and see if your lucky and you already have some factory optioned 3.55s (read the VIN sticker in your driver side door well). Are gears worth it in the V6???? Yes, yes, and yes....but that is my opinion. Also, keep in mind if you drive long distance you may not want 3.73s and take a MPG hit. Now, I consider a tune, gears, wheels and tires the trifecta of first mods. That should help you understand my feelings lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
@ctandc72 lmao, we literally replied with the same advice like minutes apart.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
Okay gears...for you it won't be hard because you have a manual so the swap doesnt require reprogramming of the BCM....now before everyone jumps on me and says that it may or not be true for manuals....I have had zero issues with my swap. Alright, back to it. So the gear change for our cars can be done a few ways since the s550 rocks an IRS suspension.

1. Just buy a used 3.55 or 3.73 loaded IRS housing or what we call the IRS pumpkin. Link to one below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-17-Ford-Mustang-3-55-Ratio-Rear-Carrier-Differential-OEM-6k-Miles/192874448024?epid=19019593179&hash=item2ce8368498:g:HSUAAOSwxXZcno~d&LH_All=1

You can find them for cheaper of your patient and look around. Shelby auctions on eBay usually has the best deals. I and many others snagged ours shipped for about 350ish from them.

If you go this route you can actually perform the install yourself with a friend. Plus, you can sell your stock IRS pumpkin and make a buck. Easy.

2. Find a someone who wants to swap their 3.55 or 3.73 IRS pumpkin with yours. You would be surprised how many people do this. It's because someone goes turbo or supercharger and wants a lower gear ratio. In other cases they want to improve gas mileage and make their daily drive easier.

2. You buy just the gears and an install kit. Link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-9000-883...869905&hash=item33c1bad55c:g:dgcAAOSwn7JYD7p4

However, it may seem cheaper, but you have to have a shop do this unless u know a guy or you have experience doing this job. This can be a pricey install and all the cost saved is either exceeded or becomes awash. Also, you won't have an extra IRS to sell or keep.

Last thing. Check your stock gears and see if your lucky and you already have some factory optioned 3.55s (read the VIN sticker in your driver side door well). Are gears worth it in the V6???? Yes, yes, and yes....but that is my opinion. Also, keep in mind if you drive long distance you may not want 3.73s and take a MPG hit. Now, I consider a tune, gears, wheels and tires the trifecta of first mods. That should help you understand my feelings lol.
Where do I go to check the VIN and see? I took a picture of it.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Where do I go to check the VIN and see? I took a picture of it.
You will see in the VIN sticker the gear ratio. Look for a 3.xx the xx being the .31 or something like it.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
3.73s are great! Love them on my car, don't love my gas mileage but I've come to accept I drive enjoyably and won't ever see 20 on my car. I paid $800 for the 3.73 pumpkin with install, made about $200 off selling my 3.15 pumpkin.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
3.73s are great! Love them on my car, don't love my gas mileage but I've come to accept I drive enjoyably and won't ever see 20 on my car. I paid $800 for the 3.73 pumpkin with install, made about $200 off selling my 3.15 pumpkin.
Same. I had 3.73s in first Mustang. Loved them, even with the boost. Second Mustang I decided 3.55s since I had a pretty healthy commute to work. They were fun and I liked them, but I didn't get that ear to ear grin like I did with my 3.73s. So I went back to 3.73s and I love them even more than I remember from the first time lol.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
A tune will increase throttle response and performance. BUT on an otherwise stock car - going to 3.55 or 3.73 gears will give you a BIGGER difference in everyday driving.

And another vote for 3.73 gears - I switched to 3.55 gears and it was worth it. I've got the Ford Performance 3.73 gears and install kit ready to go in when I drop the transmission to install the new Spec flywheel and clutch.

Sponsored

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
A tune will increase throttle response and performance. BUT on an otherwise stock car - going to 3.55 or 3.73 gears will give you a BIGGER difference in everyday driving.

And another vote for 3.73 gears - I switched to 3.55 gears and it was worth it. I've got the Ford Performance 3.73 gears and install kit ready to go in when I drop the transmission to install the new Spec flywheel and clutch.
Let me know how that SPEC flywheel and clutch workout. I have been eyeing that setup.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Man....one new member asked one question and we are now at 9 pages in on this thread, lol. Most in here for quite awhile.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
vengance of the scorned V6 owners I guess.
I have a 3.73 GT and while I'll stipulate to it being a lot of fun, I think it's a bit much unless you're doing autocross and dragstrips all the time. On the other hand it means I can enjoy the glorious sound of zinging past 4K rpm and not finding myself immediately in cuffs.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Man....one new member asked one question and we are now at 9 pages in on this thread, lol. Most in here for quite awhile.
Well, you answered most of the follow-up questions, lol. All good! It's a one stop shop for V6 mod advice.
Sponsored