Sponsored

V6 - Saving up for Mods, got some questions.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
As for the question about BBK long tubes and drone....I'll go through my progression, maybe it will help. I added a used MBRP Cat back (mean for 15-17 GT - it bolts right up to the V6 exhaust no mods needed) when the car was brand new. Then I added shorty headers. It was a little loud for my tastes. Added 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators right after the h-split on the MBRP exhaust. Sounded great. Zero drone. Then I went to BBK Long tubes. I used the off road pipe but added Flowmaster bullet cat converters. Not big on "high flow" no name converters. RASP city. I ended up having my exhaust guy cut out the h pipe portion of the MBRP exhaust (along with the Vibrant ultra quiet resonators) and added a Magnaflow True X resonator / muffler. I love the way it sounds now. Zero drone, zero rasp, I can beat it on it without every cop in 5 miles looking around. Performance gain was worth every penny.
You have an under body shot of your complete setup? Curious how that looks.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You have an under body shot of your complete setup? Curious how that looks.
No. I'll try to get one, but no promises. Actually if you look up a picture of the MBRP GT Cat back exhaust - you'll see where the two pipe heading towards the back have the H. The Vibrant resonators were welded in AFTER that H before. My exhaust guy cut those AND the H out and installed the Magnaflow 12469 in place of what he cut out:

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...ords=12469&qid=1557925338&s=automotive&sr=1-1

So in essence, my BBK off road pipe + these Flowmaster converters https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-2...25&qid=1557925419&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr added to the off road pipe. That connects to the MBRP cat back. And then the Magnaflow added as I described.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
Well my damn credit fell through for the tires haha, been spending to much money lately I guess.

So gotta save up for wheels and tires, gonna miss that LMR deal for sure.

Ok so I thought I read somewhere that if you change out your transmission fluid it will add some smoothness to your gearbox is that true?

Also, I was looking at that Barton Short Throw Shifter but it seems to have disappeared off the planet for the V6, makes me kinda sad.

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
No. I'll try to get one, but no promises. Actually if you look up a picture of the MBRP GT Cat back exhaust - you'll see where the two pipe heading towards the back have the H. The Vibrant resonators were welded in AFTER that H before. My exhaust guy cut those AND the H out and installed the Magnaflow 12469 in place of what he cut out:

https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Ex...ords=12469&qid=1557925338&s=automotive&sr=1-1

So in essence, my BBK off road pipe + these Flowmaster converters https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-2...25&qid=1557925419&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr added to the off road pipe. That connects to the MBRP cat back. And then the Magnaflow added as I described.
As always Im completely lost - I guess like most men Im really visual. Plus Im not a mechanic so I get confused easily!

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-stainless-race-catback-black-2015gt.html?utm_content=Exhaust - Catback|MBRP&T5_Var4=389210-A&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&utm_campaign=AMM+Mustang+Brands+Medium+RLSA&T5_Var3=blue&intl=0&dialogtech=ppc&gclid=CjwKCAjw8e7mBRBsEiwAPVxxiOQ0R27951ppMhQhgdBvIZRts-gTIG7PnV6yy_MyVnjOfoZrteVVcBoCrL8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is that the catback you have?

I see that muffler is 3" in and 3" out. So you have BBK long tube headers out to a off road pipe which has two of the flowmaster cats connected to it, then out to the exhaust, and then it ENDS in the magnaflow? Those look like dual outs though. Am I wrong about all of this? lol

Does the magnaflow replace the H Pipe? So you would be going from 3" in to 2.5" on the cats?

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Take the photo I uploaded. And put together a photo representation of what you think he is saying. What you already described is basically the jist of it....

The Barton isn't popular this generation of Mustangs. The short throws that eveyone rolls with this gen are the expensive ones; MGW and Steeda Race Tri-ax. The more affordable; Boomba short throw, which is very popular paired with the Blowfish Bracket. I used to run the Steeda Short Throw (non-RACE tri ax) with shifter bushings and a transmission insert bushing. It worked very well and I enjoyed it. I switched to Boomba with the Full Tilt Boogie Racing (FTBR) Bracket, which mounts your shifter to the transmission instead of the chassis. I also added trans and diff fluid with the steeda clutch spring. I haven't installed the FTBR bracket, because I bought it from here in Germany. The other upgrades I have run and like them over my old setup. I did this because I wanted a more solid tactile shifter for when I move to boost.

Yes, better trans and diff fluid is worth it...to me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Take the photo I uploaded. And put together a photo representation of what you think he is saying. What you already described is basically the jist of it....

The Barton isn't popular this generation of Mustangs. The short throws that eveyone rolls with this gen are the expensive ones; MGW and Steeda Tri-ax. The more affordable; Boomba short throw, which is very popular paired with the Blowfish Bracket. I used to run the Steeda Short Throw (non-tri ax) with shifter bushings and a transmission insert bushing. It worked very well and I enjoyed it. I switched to Boomba with the Full Tilt Boogie Racing (FTBR) Bracket, which mounts your shifter to the transmission instead of the chassis. I also added trans and diff fluid with the steeda clutch spring. I haven't installed the FTBR bracket, because I bought it from here in Germany. The other upgrades I have run and like them over my old setup. I did this because I wanted a more solid tactile shifter for when I move to boost.

Yes, better trans and diff fluid is worth it...to me.
Haha you learned me up!

Yeah I want the same as you for shifting. So Ill look into those things.

Would this:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-short-throw-shifter-tri-ax-street-2015-2019/p/MS58/

and this:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/blowfish-racing-manual-shifter-support-bracket-2015-2019/p/MSSB1/

Work well together?

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The Barton isn't popular this generation of Mustangs. The short throws that eveyone rolls with this gen are the expensive ones; MGW and Steeda Tri-ax.
Can confirm, buddy got the Barton on his 18 and has had trouble with the original and the revised one they sent him. Other buddy nothing but praise for his MGW.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Haha you first said no not at all? Thats what my email said.

I just want a better shifter, more solid shifting from the car. Especially if Im going to add any more power.
I was responding to fast and didn't read you were asking about the non-race Tri-Ax from your link.

I would start small and just do a cheaper shifter bushing and transmission insert paired with new fluids and a short throw of your choice. I think you will find you like it just fine. Maybe do the cheap Steeda Clutch Spring as well. At a minimum do the Energy bushing inserts. Its like $40.00 for the two and the Steeda Clutch spring ($20.00) to help eliminate the 2nd to 3rd gear lockout when shifting under heavy load (an issue with manuals when your mashing the pedal and shifting).

Sponsored

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I was responding to fast and didn't read you were asking about the non-race Tri-Ax from your link.

I would start small and just do a cheaper shifter bushing and transmission insert paired with new fluids and a short throw of your choice. I think you will find you like it just fine. Maybe do the cheap Steeda Clutch Spring as well. At a minimum do the Energy bushing inserts. Its like $40.00 for the two and the Steeda Clutch spring ($20.00) to help eliminate the 2nd to 3rd gear lockout when shifting under heavy load (an issue with manuals when your mashing the pedal and shifting).
Yeah I usually shy away from anything that says "Race" option, as this is my daily driver haha.

Im still not completely sure about my exhaust setup, but you guys have really, really helped me understand what I need and what I can do.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yeah I usually shy away from anything that says "Race" option, as this is my daily driver haha.

Im still not completely sure about my exhaust setup, but you guys have really, really helped me understand what I need and what I can do.
No problem. Its what the forums are for....

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My new wheels have arrived. The TPMS may arrive this weekend. That means I'll probably have them mounted next weekend with 275/40r19 bfgoodrich all seasons.

Anyone have experience with bfgoodrich comp 2 A/S in the snow?

Will all 4 stock 18in wheels with tires fit in the mustang?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Will all 4 stock 18in wheels with tires fit in the mustang?
I have been wondering this myself. I'll be interested to hear if someone has done it.

I think I'm going to go with General G-Max AS-05s in the same size. Glad I won't have to deal much with snow.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Yeah can't say I tried putting rims and tires into my Mustangs lol.
Sponsored