Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to back off of some of what I'm telling you. I don't think you want to AutoX seriously? You just might do it from time to time?

I think the 4-piston/14" brakes are the minimum any of these cars should have. I'd give you a pair of calipers if you were in So Cal.
Yes, I am no professional...I am just preparing for my first track day as said before ☺. If I enjoy it lots I might go on a strict diet and lose my fore barrel so that my not-a-four-barrel can go a bit faster round the track in not-so-novice-auto-crossing...but I don't even know how yet, so one step at a time! I like the sound of suspension as that is something I want regardless, so maybe I should start there, with some nice brake pads.
This is a DD with occassional HPDE/autocross/track day intention...that's all.
I will build another whole mustang if I plan on full Autocross, but that is for another day.

If you do the rear gear, then buy an entire loaded rear housing from a wrecked car. That's the easiest (and cheapest) way to swap, by far. If you're going boosted, get an iron one.
Very good to know, thank you! Making a note of that.

I went with 4 piston GT, those are plug and play. I dont know id they fit in 17s, theres no GT with 17 from the factory.

Afternarket calippers I have only seem brembos and willwood which both of them are expensive and in my opinion not worthy for the v6 power range.

Regard prices, id have seen in FB marketplace for around 250 bucks, you can find it for less (Florida). Keep in mind that you also need the rotors.

if you can find brembos, I think that you need to upgrade the brake master cylinder as well.
I will most likely go for some 4 pistons...but not until after I get better wheels and tires, which I want to wait on a bit! Thank you, I will make sure to do this asap after I get some nice 18, 19, or 20 inch bronze wheels for my little Filly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You all are a wealth of information! I appreciate it much! If anyone else has more to say, keep the comments rolling! My notebook is out! (yes, its paper and pencil...)

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not even close. You'll need 18x11 rims with 295/305/315's and 200 TW tires. You'll also need GT brakes.
What kind of Michelins are they? If they're Pilot Sport 4S you'll be fine. You'll ultimately have less grip at the limit than wider tires, but they should be good enough to hold you over until you upgrade the wheels.
Currently looking at 18x11 5x114.3 Apex EC-7s in Anthracite Grey…thoughts? Love the color and style in person, seen them on a GT350 and fell in love. Anything comparable or at a better price?

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Currently looking at 18x11 5x114.3 Apex EC-7s in Anthracite Grey…thoughts? Love the color and style in person, seen them on a GT350 and fell in love. Anything comparable or at a better price?
Apex is basically it if you want 18s. SVE doesn't have the track reputation of Apex but are good for the price. You would have to get 19s, though.

Whether you go with 18x11 or 19x11 you'll need +52 offset and 25mm spacers up front.

https://lmr.com/products/2015-Mustang-Wheels

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That's about as good as you're going to find. There used to be some cheaper wheels floating around, but the Apex ones are a great option. These will clear the 6-piston brakes.

You'll either need to get different offsets front to rear or get et52's all around and run slip-on spacers over extended lugs on the front. The other thing is that if you're running 11's, then you need to run a bit of camber in the front to keep from rubbing.

Depending on your AutoX aspirations, you might be happier with a little less tire. 305's follow every line in the pavement. If you are just putting together a DD car that will hit an AutoX recreationally once or twice a year, you might run into fewer issues with 18x10's and 275's. It *definitely* will not be as fast, but it will be a hell of a step up in grip over what you have and be a little nicer on the street that the big meats.

It's entirely up to you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Apex is basically it if you want 18s. SVE doesn't have the track reputation of Apex but are good for the price. You would have to get 19s, though.

Whether you go with 18x11 or 19x11 you'll need +52 offset and 25mm spacers up front.

https://lmr.com/products/2015-Mustang-Wheels
If I get the S550 EC-7s, I still need spacers or do you mean if I got SVEs I would need spacers?

Re-written: do I need spacers if I get Apex EC-7s 18x11s because they are 11s? I am just looking for a decent tread good for daily driving in all seasons (no snow in my area) as well as for tracking rarely/spirited windy road driving.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That's about as good as you're going to find. There used to be some cheaper wheels floating around, but the Apex ones are a great option. These will clear the 6-piston brakes.

You'll either need to get different offsets front to rear or get et52's all around and run slip-on spacers over extended lugs on the front. The other thing is that if you're running 11's, then you need to run a bit of camber in the front to keep from rubbing.

Depending on your AutoX aspirations, you might be happier with a little less tire. 305's follow every line in the pavement. If you are just putting together a DD car that will hit an AutoX recreationally once or twice a year, you might run into fewer issues with 18x10's and 275's. It *definitely* will not be as fast, but it will be a hell of a step up in grip over what you have and be a little nicer on the street that the big meats.

It's entirely up to you.
Aha this is perfect. Rare AutoX not going for professional honestly. So 18x10s with some 275s…. Got it. (Still need spacers with that, or just good camber/alignment?)

going to go for a nice set of BMR performance springs with FRPP dampers for a one inch drop and hopefully not pothole/bump ridden DD.

(Also, I want a square setup.)

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Aha this is perfect. Rare AutoX not going for professional honestly. So 18x10s with some 275s…. Got it. (Still need spacers with that, or just good camber/alignment?)

going to go for a nice set of BMR performance springs with FRPP dampers for a one inch drop and hopefully not pothole/bump ridden DD.

(Also, I want a square setup.)
You'll need to run different offsets or spacers to keep everything happy. Apex can give you the dimensions, depending on how you want to do it.

For springs, you could do a lot worse than the Ford Performance package.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
18x10 then sounds best using 275.

Is there a cheaper/better wheel option that looks/performs similar to the Apex EC-7s? Or should I stick to those?

FRPP dampers it is then, thoughts on the best other suspension items to get close to the GT350/Rs setup? It always looked (the fitment/gap) just enough and I feel the handling was decent (unless you think there is improvement to be had there, im thinking about dampers and springs currently, I already know what I want to do for sway bar/bushings/etc)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If I get the S550 EC-7s, I still need spacers or do you mean if I got SVEs I would need spacers?

Re-written: do I need spacers if I get Apex EC-7s 18x11s because they are 11s? I am just looking for a decent tread good for daily driving in all seasons (no snow in my area) as well as for tracking rarely/spirited windy road driving.
You would need spacers for anything 11 inches wide. Looks like you're settled on 18x10, which I agree is better for your intended use. With offset in 35-40 range no spacers are needed.

Apex is a really good wheel. For your DD and occasional autocross use, you would probably be fine with any flow formed 19x10 wheel (SVE, Steeda, Project 6gr, & others).

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
FRPP dampers it is then, thoughts on the best other suspension items to get close to the GT350/Rs setup?
Alignment, suspension bushings(right now you're rubber all around) and BMR rear cradle lock-out. The FP spring package has a stiffer front and softer rear than the BMR packagt lee, at least consider them. The next step would be the FP or BMR anti-roll bars.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

Thanks to all your awesome support and suggestions (and Rodney @steeda) the following is on its way soon…

All from Steeda!

Sport Progressive Springs
Pro-Action Non-Adjustable Shocks and Struts
Camber Plates (All 2015-2024)
Pre-Cut Jounce Bumpers (Full Set)

Found a good 5% off code (DM me if you want it ;)

Thoughts on the incoming haul? More items will be coming later on!

Dieval

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
V6 2015
Update:

Thanks to all your awesome support and suggestions (and Rodney @steeda) the following is on its way soon…

All from Steeda!

Sport Progressive Springs
Pro-Action Non-Adjustable Shocks and Struts
Camber Plates (All 2015-2024)
Pre-Cut Jounce Bumpers (Full Set)

Found a good 5% off code (DM me if you want it ;)

Thoughts on the incoming haul? More items will be coming later on!
Let me know how it goes! I have Steeda minimun drop springs and my car handles great. Looking to get the non adjustable shocks and struts on the next steeda sale.

OP
OP
CobaltFilly

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know how it goes! I have Steeda minimun drop springs and my car handles great. Looking to get the non adjustable shocks and struts on the next steeda sale.
will do! I got the package deal that shaved off a bunch, and then bought the jounce bumpers extra. Excited, I used steeda items and BC coilovers on my old track car, so this will be a new experience!

SBPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, 1993 Probe GT
For DD/Autocross the best mod is the driver mod. Get seat time, seat time, seat time. We had two experienced drivers that would embarrass most drivers in their stock V6 mustang and stock Honda Civic with their RAW times, and have some of the top PAX times.

I would focus on TIRES and wheels first.

I would stick with the stock brakes and a good pad. Not sure about the Mustang's inverted cooling rotors? I use to run Hawk HP+ on my Ford Probe(1000 lbs lighter than my V6 Mustang). With the cheap stock rotors I never had any brake fade on HPDE days at the end of a long straight. Autocross tracks usually don't have much of a high speed straight. Being smooth and maintaining speed is more important than trying to out brake someone.

For suspension, strut/spring combo or coil-overs. Maybe some sway bars next. All the other suspension components will further tighten everything up.

Light weight and acceleration after those mods as you gain more experience.

I see too many people try to build a track beast and get discouraged when other drivers are faster in their near stock cars. Get out there and get some seat time, learn your limits, learn the car's limits and most of all HAVE FUN!

EDIT:
will do! I got the package deal that shaved off a bunch, and then bought the jounce bumpers extra. Excited, I used steeda items and BC coilovers on my old track car, so this will be a new experience!
I thought I read you were just starting out and going to try autocross to see if you like it(maybe in another thread)? Then I re-read the post above. So, if you already have racing experience I hope I didn't insult you in any way.
Sponsored

Last edited: