UnderHood insulation cover removal?

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Spoke with the dealer, they have no idea why the hood insulation isn't there. According to them, they don't ever remove them (and have no reason to do so), so perhaps it came that way from the factory. If that's true, then one must wonder what else was left off.

Anyway, they said they'll put one on order and get it replaced. Shouldn't be an issue.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Spoke with the dealer, they have no idea why the hood insulation isn't there. According to them, they don't ever remove them (and have no reason to do so), so perhaps it came that way from the factory. If that's true, then one must wonder what else was left off.

Anyway, they said they'll put one on order and get it replaced. Shouldn't be an issue.
That’s really odd but glad they’re ordering one for you

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT

Thats bullshiT! Happy to hear they are ordering for you. Some tech prb needed a new one and ripped it off, or the previous owner did and never put it back on and traded it in. No way that car came from factory without one.
Anthony

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thats bullshiT! Happy to hear they are ordering for you. Some tech prb needed a new one and ripped it off, or the previous owner did and never put it back on and traded it in. No way that car came from factory without one.
Anthony
Car had 13 miles on it brand new, so no previous owner. Thing is, if it weren't for this forum, I'd have had no idea it's supposed to be there.

Sponsored

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Mach1 and Bullitt hood vents are the same as the GT with the black plastic underneath, but the hood insulator is different. If you put a GT hood insulator on a Mach1 (or Bullitt), the drivers side hood vent will dump water onto the open air filter. With the different hood insulator, water flows through the hood vent and it dumps onto the hood insulator and runs to exit out in the slot at the very front. This picture of a Mach1 hood insulator will explain what I'm talking about:
PXL_20210406_122803173.jpg
This is an interesting observation.

But it then begs the question for those who have the PP performance upgrade which has the Bullit CAI/Throttle body - do we need to do anything to divert the water from dripping right on top of the intake air-filter.

I guess a few drops might not be a problem but I am sure under heavy rain it might not be a good idea.

Last edited:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The M-9603-M8B kit has a different lid/gasket design than the Mach1 or Bullitt. It is shaped so that water drips out in front the air box onto the flat area where it says "Ford".
Air intake.png

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
The M-9603-M8B kit has a different lid/gasket design than the Mach1 or Bullitt. It is shaped so that water drips out in front the air box onto the flat area where it says "Ford".
Air intake.png
Cool - one less thing to worry - the Ford engineers already thought of it!

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
If someone has removed one in good condition, I would be interested in it (Squirrels chewed mine)

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Car had 13 miles on it brand new, so no previous owner. Thing is, if it weren't for this forum, I'd have had no idea it's supposed to be there.
Someone at dealer scoffed yours. plain and simple. Sad shit goes on at StealerShips everyday.
Anthony

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Someone at dealer scoffed yours. plain and simple. Sad shit goes on at StealerShips everyday.
Anthony
It's too bad, because otherwise, this dealership has been pretty above board.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IIRC, there were a few threads on other Ford forums where new car owners were finding that the under hood insulation was missing.

There was this SSM released for the 2018+ F150's:
SSM 47545 - 2018 F-150 - XL/STX - Under Hood Insulation Removed - Built On Or After 5-Jun-2018

2018 F-150 XL and STX vehicles built at Kansas City Assembly Plant on or after 5-Jun-2018 and Dearborn Truck Plant on or after 16-Jul-2018 are not built with an insulation panel on the underside of the hood. This was a running production change. Do not submit as mis-build or warranty claim to add the insulation panel.
Sometimes there are mid-year production changes that could be the result of cost savings and/or supplier related issues and some components or non-essential parts are deleted.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, there were a few threads on other Ford forums where new car owners were finding that the under hood insulation was missing.

Sometimes there are mid-year production changes that could be the result of cost savings and/or supplier related issues and some components or non-essential parts are deleted.
They are quite an expensive part (certainly in the UK, its £325 +20% tax ... 😲)

WD :like:

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for that. If it turns out that Ford deliberately left it off at the factory, then I'll be okay with it. Not tickled pink, but I can live with it. And heck, maybe I'd choose to take it off myself. But basically, I just want whatever was there when it left the factory.

Haulin’ator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If someone has removed one in good condition, I would be interested in it (Squirrels chewed mine)
Air intake.png
Very informative, thank you! I had this CAI installed on mine by the dealership when I bought it new.

23B801C4-4F56-45E7-9E22-54EC71C88C04.jpeg
Sponsored