monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Hi Guys,

How many members have removed there underhood insulation cover? I just added the SCHROPP upper strut tower brace and it seems to be hitting the underhood cover, causing pitting marks on polished aluminum whenever it rains or i wash the car. I think if i remove it wont hit anymore. Just wondering about the hood vents and water?? Any thoughts?
Thanks Anthony
Sponsored

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I removed mine a few months back; haven't had any issues. Go for it.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Thanks Kona!
Take notice of water, and report back.
Thanks Anthony
I'll do you one better and report back immediately :like:

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a wholly enclosed garage, so my ride sees plenty of rain. No issues. Mind that it all makes it down to the engine anyway, cover or not; that insulation's got a big gaping hole in it too. It also gets wet and holds that water, which is probably what's causing your issue with the STB.

Like say, I vote go ahead and yank it. Get a trim removal tool and pop the pins carefully. I would also highly suggest putting a piece of cardboard, or towels, something over the engine to catch any errant pins that have a mind of their own. Worst comes to worst, you can always put it back.

If it's any further motive, it might sound a little louder, too. :giggle:

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
I'll do you one better and report back immediately :like:

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a wholly enclosed garage, so my ride sees plenty of rain. No issues. Mind that it all makes it down to the engine anyway, cover or not; that insulation's got a big gaping hole in it too. It also gets wet and holds that water, which is probably what's causing your issue with the STB.

Like say, I vote go ahead and yank it. Get a trim removal tool and pop the pins carefully. I would also highly suggest putting a piece of cardboard, or towels, something over the engine to catch any errant pins that have a mind of their own. Worst comes to worst, you can always put it back.

If it's any further motive, it might sound a little louder, too. :giggle:
Thanks again for the reply, appreciate it! Same here, my car is outside in rain, snow etc.. Im gonna try and remove and monitor the water as well. Those 2 big holes are for the drains that are connected to the hood vents, they catch water and direct it out the sides.. as well as allow air up and out as small as they are.
Anthony

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Removed them on every mustang I’ve owned since 1988.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
All gone here .
20200808_071834.jpg

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I guess what I don't understand is this. More heat less power, Insulation keeps heat in, and heat rises.
Or am I missing an important piece?
Noise reduction mostly

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I guess what I don't understand is this. More heat less power, Insulation keeps heat in, and heat rises.
Or am I missing an important piece?
Noise reduction, a bit of prettying up—same as the engine cover on the '18+. Anyone who comments about it being fire retardant—while that'd be nice, is also very false. (Seriously—it feels lije it's made of compressed cardboard and cheesecloth. How'd that rumor start???)

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Noise reduction, a bit of prettying up—same as the engine cover on the '18+. Anyone who comments about it being fire retardant—while that'd be nice, is also very false. (Seriously—it feels lije it's made of compressed cardboard and cheesecloth. How'd that rumor start???)
What we get on our euros (which I am assuming is the same ?) is kind of like a fibrous material bound in a flexible way (almost like glass fibre, but without the traditional hard / glossy resin) and its backed with a compressed sound deadening material.

1665652366097.jpeg

I don't know to what extent, but it is partially resistant to naked flame (I tried it a little to see if I could repair / mask some damage)

WD :like:

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
What we get on our euros (which I am assuming is the same ?) is kind of like a fibrous material bound in a flexible way (almost like glass fibre, but without the traditional hard / glossy resin) and its backed with a compressed sound deadening material.

1665652366097.jpeg

I don't know to what extent, but it is partially resistant to naked flame (I tried it a little to see if I could repair / mask some damage)

It's probably the same material. It at least FEELS cardboardy.:crackup:

The claim I usually see is that, in the event of an engine fire it'll fall down and smother flames which... no. No it will not.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
All gone here .
20200808_071834.jpg
that poney is behind the cover, if yes I see a load of covers being tossed, and the best reason yet to dump it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
that poney is behind the cover, if yes I see a load of covers being tossed, and the best reason yet to dump it.
It's not there on an 18+ ... :frown:

1665658741770.jpeg