How to check oil level properly

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So I am just over 400 miles into the car and with all the threads about oil I wanted to check the level to make sure I wasn't burning through a sizeable amount.

I didn't baby the car so far and I am personally considering the break in period to be over after 500 miles. I always go easy until the oil reaches a decent temp but beyond that I use WOT a bunch and get up to at least 7k revs a few times on each journey.

I know to make sure the car is on a flat surface and that the engine is warmed up but the problem I have is that whenever I remove the dipstick I cant get a clear reading (never mind that its soooo hot in the engine bay when its at temp), I think this is to do with where the dipstick is positioned and that you have to pull it out at sort of an angle. Anyone else have this issue and no of a way to get a reliable reading?

As a side not the oil I can see on the stick is still pretty clear in color and I haven't noticed any leaks after parking. Also you need to forgive me as I am not the most savvy person when it comes to fixing or maintaining cars so I rely on my dealer (which is ok because they are excellent and are pretty knowledgeable on the GT350 and sell/service a few regularly) but on this car I did do my homework on what to pay attention to.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I check oil cold. Hot oil is in other places then the pan and well everything in the bay is hot..

Leave the car on a level for a while. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and put it back in and pull it out again then check level.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The GT350 supplement manual says to let the engine sit 15 minutes after running before checking the oil. It's not easy to get at the dip stick with the strut tower brace, but you get used to it. I keep a pair of mechanics gloves in the car to use when the engine bay is hot. You just angle the dipstick and hope for the best.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The GT350 supplement manual says to let the engine sit 15 minutes after running before checking the oil. It's not easy to get at the dip stick with the strut tower brace, but you get used to it. I keep a pair of mechanics gloves in the car to use when the engine bay is hot. You just angle the dipstick and hope for the best.
Id see that as a minimum time to wait not as a exact thing.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Check it cold between high and low you are good to go.

OP
OP
jamesb1986

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for the replies, I just couldn't get a reading after trying to check it a bunch of times. As I pulled the dipstick, I guess because its at an angle, it would come out with oil all over the stick and it was impossible to tell where the reading was meant to be at.

I assumed that because of the awkward angle it was rubbing or catching inside the port and so it would move/scrape the oil all over the stick on the stick as it was pulled out. I will try again tonight and post pictures if I still cant get it.....

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks for the replies, I just couldn't get a reading after trying to check it a bunch of times. As I pulled the dipstick, I guess because its at an angle, it would come out with oil all over the stick and it was impossible to tell where the reading was meant to be at.

I assumed that because of the awkward angle it was rubbing or catching inside the port and so it would move/scrape the oil all over the stick on the stick as it was pulled out. I will try again tonight and post pictures if I still cant get it.....
I think the marked side should be towards the engine and only that side is correct side. The under side (wheel well) is not correct.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

If you get it in the right way there should be little resistance. There will be oil on the whole stick but it should be thicker at the bottom almost like a paint run

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What I do is I wipe down the dipstick and then dip back in again. Then when I pull the dipstick out of the crank case, I make sure to angle the dipstick to one side of the access port so it doesn't get oil on the other side of the dipstick. It'll most likely fling out when you remove it completely but whatever. Now you can read the untouched side of the dipstick and you should see a pretty clear line.

Yes, I said access port. I was not about to say "hole" in that response, it's raunchy enough as it is.

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Seriously, this ain't rocket science, lol. Try to always check the oil level when cold before starting, the 15 minutes mentioned is to allow the oil to drain back if the engine has been run and is a minimum waiting time. It doesn't matter which side of the dipstick you read or which side is up. I'm sure someone will correct me on this :D

Edit: I also pull the dipstick and wipe it dry then reinsert it, pull it and read it.
Sponsored