UnkTob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
Heres a video comparison I did on it

I had added 2 bottles but 1 worked also.
Thanks for the advice and for posting the video. Yeah, once I heard the tick, I fricken ALWAYS hear it now, and it drives me bonkers. Makes the car sound like a cheap piece of poo, IMO. I've ordered some of the Ceratec and will give it a try! I have that 2k rattle (sounds like knocking to me) as well. Wish there was some solution for that. It makes it sound like I'm using the cheapest gas in the world. lol
Sponsored

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
The 'tick' is typical for a high pressure direct infection engine. I have had a few of them and they all sound the same. My '17 Z06 Vette tick is so much worse than my Mustang.

I use Ceratec and for me it didn't get rid of the tick but it did help with engine noise overall and the cars drive much smoother.

One of the problems with the tick sound is that it makes it hard to diagnose normal engine noise from abnormal engine noise since the noise floor is so high.

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
How thoroughly did you drain previous oil?
Ceratec is a suspension of ultra-fine ceramic particles. They are intended to fill micro scratches and imperfections. As they get compressed and heated they fuse together forming and extremely hard and smooth surface. This coating is supposed to last 4 oil changes and requires physical removal, belt sander. This reduces overall friction and helps improve the lifespan of wearing parts (metal on metal anywhere in your engine). Seems to work.

They have another product that is primarily molybdenum which acts as a temporary friction modifier which lasts one oil change - cheaper but much less effective.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How thoroughly did you drain previous oil?
good, but when I switched to amsoil 0w30 I had to add more ceratec because the tick came back. Ill add 2 bottles every oil change now I think, the car just seems to run better with it in anyway and its 40$ for 5k miles for almost certainly less wear.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I think my '17 GT makes a similar noise to what everyone refers to as the BBQ, but only when releasing the clutch. I can hear it when I pull into my garage, it bounces off my other car next to me. That is the only time I can hear it.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
good, but when I switched to amsoil 0w30 I had to add more ceratec because the tick came back. Ill add 2 bottles every oil change now I think, the car just seems to run better with it in anyway and its 40$ for 5k miles for almost certainly less wear.
You added ceratec, after n kilomiles switched to oil with no ceratec, and tick was still gone. Then you've made yet another oil change (amsoil 0w30) with no ceratec and the tick came back?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You added ceratec, after n kilomiles switched to oil with no ceratec, and tick was still gone. Then you've made yet another oil change (amsoil 0w30) with no ceratec and the tick came back?
I had the tick when my car was brand new then I fixed it by adding 2 bottles of ceratec in with castrol edge extended 5w20 for ~3.5k miles. Then I switched to amsoil 5w30 with no ceratec and the tick was still gone, but I added a bottle of ceratec after making that video I posted above anyway just because I had a bottle and Ceratec seems to smooth the engine out. Then I switched to amsoil 0w30 after that ~3500 mile oil cycle, and the tick came back right after that oil change, so I added 2 more bottles and its gone again. Overall I am just going to use 2 bottles ceratec in every oil I put in there. It seems to run better with ceratec.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Since you posted this in the mod section let me recommend my solution. Install a Roush exhaust and resonator delete. Similar After market exhaust work also. I couldn't tell you if my car ticks, clunks, creeks, rattles, buzzes, or etc. Just kidding. I have heard a tick but mine is 100% related to the AC and Heat (common problem). When I turn one of those on it ticks. As soon as I turn either of them off it goes away. I don't use either very often so it doesn't really matter and I have to be parked next to something to hear it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you posted this in the mod section let me recommend my solution. Install a Roush exhaust and resonator delete. Similar After market exhaust work also. I couldn't tell you if my car ticks, clunks, creeks, rattles, buzzes, or etc. Just kidding. I have heard a tick but mine is 100% related to the AC and Heat (common problem). When I turn one of those on it ticks. As soon as I turn either of them off it goes away. I don't use either very often so it doesn't really matter and I have to be parked next to something to hear it.
Mine was like this at first, ac puts a slight load on the engine and that was enough to cause the tick. Ceratec fixes it if you havent tried that give it a try.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I had the tick when my car was brand new then I fixed it by adding 2 bottles of ceratec in with castrol edge extended 5w20 for ~3.5k miles. Then I switched to amsoil 5w30 with no ceratec and the tick was still gone, but I added a bottle of ceratec after making that video I posted above anyway just because I had a bottle and Ceratec seems to smooth the engine out. Then I switched to amsoil 0w30 after that ~3500 mile oil cycle, and the tick came back right after that oil change, so I added 2 more bottles and its gone again. Overall I am just going to use 2 bottles ceratec in every oil I put in there. It seems to run better with ceratec.
Ok, got it.

My story is - i got short block replaced due to tick. I added 1 bottle of ceratec to new block preventatively shortly after. This is 15-17 engine, so it uses less oil, but still if you use suggested amount of ceratec it would need more ceratec than one bottle.

I will be adding ceratec with every oil change as I do not want to hear the tick ever again.

But I'm not sure regarding amount. Overall ceratec feels very positive, but I could find posts people complaining on mos2 and ceratec leaving sediments.... so it might have cumulative effect and maybe I could go with less than one bottle moving forward.

Last edited:

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Has anyone scoped the location of the tick, do we know what is causing it?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with previous posts. Your first oil change add Ceratec. Add the correct amount of oil and a bottle. It will quieten down your engine. I add a bottle every oil change. It made a difference in quietness.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Can someone explain why it comes back after every oil change ( motorcraft stock)? and then seems to go away after about 1500 to 2000 miles. Like clockwork every oil change. It damn near sounds like it gets worse every time it comes back as well. So FN embarrassing taking off from a light and slow light throttle input. People turn and look and I want to yell FORD SAYS ITS FUCKING NORMAL!!!

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone explain why it comes back after every oil change ( motorcraft stock)? and then seems to go away after about 1500 to 2000 miles. Like clockwork every oil change. It damn near sounds like it gets worse every time it comes back as well. So FN embarrassing taking off from a light and slow light throttle input. People turn and look and I want to yell FORD SAYS ITS FUCKING NORMAL!!!
just ceratec it
Sponsored