tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Get rid of the car and start fresh. Seems there is history with the car and 2 extremely reputable TUNERS. 3 strikes and someone or something had to be out. In this case I think the car šŸ˜¬
Iā€™ve thought about this many times haha. This car constantly tests me. If anything Iā€™ve learned a ton about cars and the Mustang and coyote platform.
Sponsored

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That's the positive for sure. Im crazy like that, I'd sell and start fresh. Still no guarantee. You are not FI? if your not and would be nice eventually, you are stuck till all this gets resolved.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I built the motor. From everything Iā€™ve researched if timing was off even 1 tooth I should get a code and it should be noticeable.

Not saying I didnā€™t mess something up causing a loss in power but not really the point of this post.
Iā€™m reading your post and canā€™t help but wonder if something is wrong with the engine, whether it be cam timing related or something else. The facts are, 2 different tuners have tried to tune it and neither have successfully done so, 1 second slower 60-130 isnā€™t successful for the same setup. There is a problem that needs to be fixed before it can be tuned successfully.

I know you said there was an issue between you and Wengerd, but he offered to try and help in this thread. It might not be a bad idea to have someone else look and see if they can help figure it out.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
That's the positive for sure. Im crazy like that, I'd sell and start fresh. Still no guarantee. You are not FI? if your not and would be nice eventually, you are stuck till all this gets resolved.
Most of it is my fault and a little bad luck. Still waiting for the transmission to fail. Itā€™s over 130k miles now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Iā€™m reading your post and canā€™t help but wonder if something is wrong with the engine, whether it be cam timing related or something else. The facts are, 2 different tuners have tried to tune it and neither have successfully done so, 1 second slower 60-130 isnā€™t successful for the same setup. There is a problem that needs to be fixed before it can be tuned successfully.

I know you said there was an issue between you and Wengerd, but he offered to try and help in this thread. It might not be a bad idea to have someone else look and see if they can help figure it out.
Lund claims there tune is fine haha. The other guys tune is way off and itā€™s not because of any issue the car is having. You donā€™t get the car thinking itā€™s making 900hp n/a on 91 because of a phaser lagging issue.

i am talking to Wengerd and weā€™ll see what happens.

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Most of it is my fault and a little bad luck. Still waiting for the transmission to fail. Itā€™s over 130k miles now.
We all go thru this. Regretfully, all this is a hobby/money pit or whatever else you wanna call it.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
We all go thru this. Regretfully, all this is a hobby/money pit or whatever else you wanna call it.
Yep. Before I got this car I knew nothing about cars. Now I can pull the engine in a day without looking at any manuals. Was it worth all the money? Idk haha. Especially the 2nd engine blowing up, could have done without that one.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I built the motor. From everything Iā€™ve researched if timing was off even 1 tooth I should get a code and it should be noticeable.
You don't have to be off a tooth to have it degreed off one way or the other. Maybe it's set advanced a bit which would reduce high rpm power? 100% sure the springs are good etc?

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Lund claims there tune is fine haha. The other guys tune is way off and itā€™s not because of any issue the car is having. You donā€™t get the car thinking itā€™s making 900hp n/a on 91 because of a phaser lagging issue.

i am talking to Wengerd and weā€™ll see what happens.
Iā€™m sure they do, the tune probably is fine. Iā€™m saying it sounds like a mechanical issue and not a tune issue, at least on Lundā€™s side. When you rebuilt the engine, did anything change with the engine? If not and it runs a second slower with the same tune then itā€™s not a tune issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Iā€™m sure they do, the tune probably is fine. Iā€™m saying it sounds like a mechanical issue and not a tune issue, at least on Lundā€™s side. When you rebuilt the engine, did anything change with the engine? If not and it runs a second slower with the same tune then itā€™s not a tune issue.
Yes I agree.

Only thing I changed was it got new parts. New shortblock and new cam phasers. Heads got cleaned. Can't think of anything else that changed. Its exactly the same setup.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You don't have to be off a tooth to have it degreed off one way or the other. Maybe it's set advanced a bit which would reduce high rpm power? 100% sure the springs are good etc?
Heads got taken apart and cleaned by a shop Ive used before so I hope the springs would be good.

Not sure how I could tell if the cams are off besides pulling it all apart and doing it again and seeing if it goes any faster.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how I could tell if the cams are off besides pulling it all apart and doing it again and seeing if it goes any faster.
I mean at some point, it might come down to that.

Now that I think about it for a second, I don't think the cams being advanced would lose that much power. Think about it this way, you said there's a 1 second difference in 60-130, right?

That's 50-60hp. I remember back in the 96-98 Cobra days, guys would retard their cams and at best gain 10-15hp (depending on how the car came from the factory).

Compression/leakdown tests? 100% sure it's the same compression ratio? It could be a combination of things, if it's just one thing wrong that's causing that much horsepower loss it's something pretty bad.

Do you have a dyno sheet of the current setup?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well that's frustrating. Keep us updated on how it goes with Wengerd.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Heads got taken apart and cleaned by a shop Ive used before so I hope the springs would be good.

A compression test would tell you
Sponsored