Sponsored

TSB 19-2140 - 5.0 Engine Chirping Noise

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Atlas1, sorry to revive an old thread, my 22 does the same thing, identical noise, 30 seconds after start, chrip from the pass side front engine. It goes away as soon as it starts to idle down, maybe 60-90 seconds. I'm assuming it's the timing chain tensioner. Being someone that has worked with and in and around dealers my whole life, I really do not want a flat rater tearing the front of the engine apart if I can help it. I'm sure there are great techs out there, but they are hard to find... has never changed or gotten worse, thinking if it never changes I'll just see what happens.

Just was curious what it was.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
This thread is mixing several different issues. The issue at hand is the oil release on the chain tensioner and it generally reveals itself when HOT (not cold).

I built my car and it never had a chirp, after getting the motor back together, it now chirps once the motor warms up. At idle and it's intermittent (not steady) and only once the car is warm(er).

We looked for everything (idlers, pulleys, etc) and it's coming from inside the valve cover. We even though maybe it's something in the valve train (as this is a totally built motor and heads) but it seems like the symptoms (when warm) indicate that it's my passenger side tensioner. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has experienced any negative effects by just ignoring it (I plan to fix it, but I'm not tearing it down to the timing for just a chirp).

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Atlas1, sorry to revive an old thread, my 22 does the same thing, identical noise, 30 seconds after start, chrip from the pass side front engine. It goes away as soon as it starts to idle down, maybe 60-90 seconds. I'm assuming it's the timing chain tensioner. Being someone that has worked with and in and around dealers my whole life, I really do not want a flat rater tearing the front of the engine apart if I can help it. I'm sure there are great techs out there, but they are hard to find... has never changed or gotten worse, thinking if it never changes I'll just see what happens.

Just was curious what it was.
Have them test your passenger side VVT exhaust solenoid. Rev the motor to 2k and then let off. You'll be able to replicate the sound for the service team. They'll have to do a full replacement. But that solved the issue for me and the car drives like a dream now.

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Have them test your passenger side VVT exhaust solenoid. Rev the motor to 2k and then let off. You'll be able to replicate the sound for the service team. They'll have to do a full replacement. But that solved the issue for me and the car drives like a dream now.

If that's what it is, those are much less invasive to change, I know it will throw codes, but I will just unplug that side on the next startup to deactivate the solenoids and see if it goes away...

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1

Looks like you are on to something, while no luck with the exhaust actuator, or the 2k trick, if I unplug the the intake vct actuator once the idle recovers the noise is gone, plug it in, comes right back...so it's either the actuator or the phaser from the cam advance during warm up... hope is just the actuator. I have a pretty busy month so I probably can't get to the dealer until April. Part of me wants to just change it myself, it's pretty straight forward...and if it turns out being the phaser then I might take it.

Decisons...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looks like you are on to something, while no luck with the exhaust actuator, or the 2k trick, if I unplug the the intake vct actuator once the idle recovers the noise is gone, plug it in, comes right back...so it's either the actuator or the phaser from the cam advance during warm up... hope is just the actuator. I have a pretty busy month so I probably can't get to the dealer until April. Part of me wants to just change it myself, it's pretty straight forward...and if it turns out being the phaser then I might take it.

Decisons...
If it is your VCT's, check this thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...m-50067-vct’s-again-various-dtc-codes.169419/

and there are other threads on here for VCT flushing.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
I now have an explanation for this noise. Luckily I plan to replace the entire timing system as I have vvt phaser issues.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I now have an explanation for this noise. Luckily I plan to replace the entire timing system as I have vvt phaser issues.
Did you throw a code for this?

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
Did you throw a code for this?
At one point last summer it was bad enough that I had a cam out phase code pending. But I cycled the solenoids to unstuck the phaser spool valve and it smoothed out. I've been living with the issue ever since I got the car. Just too lazy to fix it.

Jerryinpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Applies to all 2018-2019 5.0 S550’s.

Issue:
Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr- 2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.

See attached pdf for complete TSB content.
I had tsb 19-2140 done on my 2019 f150 5.0l, figured it out by reading f150online forums, 6000 miles were on my truck when I took it in, after that I had the oil consumption tsb, recently I had the motor to tranny transition plate n hardware replaced due to another noise. 40k miles on it now, I like to warm it up and the motor gets quieter when warm, my truck was a late 2018 build, I had no idea the 2018 5.0 revision was a problem when I bought it.

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Just had this TSB done on my 2020 GT with 18k miles. Its already had the a new short block put in back around 11k miles due to a broken crank sprocket so I figured what the hell. Oh, and I had to have the passenger window sensors and motor replaced because water got in somehow and shorted it. The check engine light came on less than a mile after picking up the car due to a vacuum leak. Really trying to love this car but it's been hard... I'll post back if I have any issues related to this TSB.
Sponsored