TSB 19-2140 - 5.0 Engine Chirping Noise

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Applies to all 2018-2019 5.0 S550’s.

Issue:
Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr- 2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.

See attached pdf for complete TSB content.
Sponsored

Attachments

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
lol for the love of god that is a lot of work. appreciate the post and info

anyone that this is happening to, what mileage are you at and car specs?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I saw chirping noise and had flashback nightmares of the HPFP in the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ. Worst. Chirping. Noise. Ever.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
:( I hate taking my car in to the service department full of incompetent techs. I dont trust them.
Totally agree. My Mustangs 1st visit to dealer today to note/record damage to passenger seat top cover. Several of the Top cover holes punched out elongated and twice the size of the others. Clearly a quality defect. So the game begins. Tech takes pictures and send to regional rep. Come back that this is normal. I then take tech out to parking area and we open up the 5 GT's sitting there and yup none have the issue. I requested they post in vehicle maintenance history....... we will see.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Totally agree. My Mustangs 1st visit to dealer today to note/record damage to passenger seat top cover. Several of the Top cover holes punched out elongated and twice the size of the others. Clearly a quality defect. So the game begins. Tech takes pictures and send to regional rep. Come back that this is normal. I then take tech out to parking area and we open up the 5 GT's sitting there and yup none have the issue. I requested they post in vehicle maintenance history....... we will see.
I don’t want to get off topic from this thread, but saw your reply and thought this may help... I had posted Ford GSB’s a while back regarding the Ford Leather. Each GSB in the below shows what is and is not covered under warranty. So take a look at them and if you see something that may resemble your concern, print it and bring it to your Service Center and press the issue...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-used-to-be-gsb-g0000129.112230/#post-2386791

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
lol for the love of god that is a lot of work. appreciate the post and info

anyone that this is happening to, what mileage are you at and car specs?

I had my timing chain tensioners replaced at 24k miles car is completely stock. They thought that was were the ticking was coming from. Oddly enough after the replacement NOW my car chirps from the upper front engine area. I suspect it wasn't installed properly. Gotta love these techs.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I have that chirp and was certain it was a belt before I used a stethoscope and found it to come from the driver's side head, but it's only when cold and not when hot. It'll go away after about 5 minutes. In a different thread, two members here actually took it upon themselves to replace the part. One of them noted that there was no real measurable damage to the bad tensioner, for anyone's peace of mind. However, I think all of us in that thread had it while cold and not hot. The former of which may very well get some of us turned away at some dealer's.

Sponsored

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have that chirp and was certain it was a belt before I used a stethoscope and found it to come from the driver's side head, but it's only when cold and not when hot. It'll go away after about 5 minutes. In a different thread, two members here actually took it upon themselves to replace the part. One of them noted that there was no real measurable damage to the bad tensioner, for anyone's peace of mind. However, I think all of us in that thread had it while cold and not hot. The former of which may very well get some of us turned away at some dealer's.
same here, only when cold. This is one reason why I havent taken it in.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Applies to all 2018-2019 5.0 S550’s.

Issue:
Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr- 2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.

See attached pdf for complete TSB content.
I had this noise. Would happen after I pulled it in the garage and shut the engine off. Haven't noticed it though since it's been warmer out. Good to know there is a TSB for it if I hear it again.

BOBS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Auto Race Red
Here is a short vid of the chirping noise, our 2019 had 3.7 miles when we picked it up. I did not order these options but it came with ... BBQ Tick .. 2 to 3 K rattle & the chirping noise that I thought was a belt. But broke it in per owners manual to 1,005 miles then hit the drag strip. Car runs great 11.83 @ 119 in FL heat used about 1/2 QT oil in 2,600 miles also when I changed the oil Blackstone oil report came back great! Had some previous bad experience with Ford repairing our 2015 GT, really do not want them working on our car unless it brakes.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Mine does that. Also lift off rattle.

Haha, all KINDS of noises elsewhere too, including a long, drawn out farting noise like a bass kazoo from the power driver's seat when it's sliding forward. That one is not my fault.

csolas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here is a short vid of the chirping noise, our 2019 had 3.7 miles when we picked it up. I did not order these options but it came with ... BBQ Tick .. 2 to 3 K rattle & the chirping noise that I thought was a belt. But broke it in per owners manual to 1,005 miles then hit the drag strip. Car runs great 11.83 @ 119 in FL heat used about 1/2 QT oil in 2,600 miles also when I changed the oil Blackstone oil report came back great! Had some previous bad experience with Ford repairing our 2015 GT, really do not want them working on our car unless it brakes.

exactly sounds like mine. are you going to leave it like that.
Sponsored