Sponsored

Track Setup for Mach 1 - What Wheel/Tire Combo can you recommend?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I have a Mach 1 without the Handling Pack (yes, I do regret it now :) ) and am thinking about getting a dedicated wheel/tire combo for track use. I have the stock PS4S 255/275 on and feel like I'd need a little more grip.

Option 1: I could go with a set of Mach 1 Handling Pack take offs with the Cup 2s (if I can find a set) and would have to add the fender lips to my car. Or I could buy the wheels and tires separately (always Cup 2 take offs in the classifieds here). Would still need the fender lips. This would be of course a staggered setup.

Option 2: The less expensive option would be to get this square set here SVE Mustang MHP1 Wheel & Firestone Tire Kit - 19x10 - Graphite (15-23) (lmr.com) . No idea if the Firehawk Indy 500 are better than the PS4S Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Review | Fitment Industries and if 285 square would make a huge difference.

Option 3: Try to find (or put together) a set of my stock rear wheels /tires - 275 - and put them up front, so 275s square on PS4S.

What say you folks?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I have a square 19 x 11 +52 Apex VS-5RS with extended studs for the front with 25mm slip on spacers. Once I get them on I will post some pictures. The factory HP wheels are nice but heavy, Apex has a good selection of wheels for our cars. Good luck with your decision.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
I have the same as Coastal-Mach but EC-7 Apex wheels. I use Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3RS or Cup 2's. Note the Ford Perf school at Charlotte standard is PS4S but you can upgrade to Cup2's if it's dry.

IMG_5678.jpg

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
Agree 100% with others here, Apex all the way. 19x11 square. Much lighter than those HP wheels. If you donā€™t want to run extended studs and spacers Apex has a fitting with different offsets for the front, but you canā€™t rotate front and rear. You can rotate left and right though, as long as itā€™s not wet the directional pattern doesnā€™t factor. If itā€™s wet Iā€™m throwing my HP wheels on with the PS4Sā€™s anyway.

The Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R are fast. They are my go to at the moment. They donā€™t last long though. I almost got 2 weekends out of mine before they were toast. Another option for running lots of laps are the Hankook RS4ā€™s. Noticeably slower than the 3Rā€™s but they last forever.

I have three sets of wheels that I take to the track. 2 sets of apex, with 3Rā€™s and RS4ā€™s. And then my HP wheels with the PS4S. If itā€™s a track Iā€™m familiar with, Iā€™ll load up with the 3Rā€™s. If itā€™s a new track Iā€™ll start on the RS4ā€™s to slow roll a little šŸ˜¬

Last edited:

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Agree 100% with others here, Apex all the way. 19x11 square. Much lighter than those HP wheels. If you donā€™t want to run extended studs and spacers Apex has a fitting with different offsets for the front, but you canā€™t rotate front and rear. You can rotate left and right though, as long as itā€™s not wet the directional pattern doesnā€™t factor. If itā€™s wet Iā€™m throwing my HP wheels on with the PS4Sā€™s anyway.

The Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R are fast. They are my go to at the moment. They donā€™t last long though. I almost got 2 weekends out of mine before they were toast. Another option for running lots of laps are the Hankook RS4ā€™s. Noticeably slower than the 3Rā€™s but they last forever.

I have three sets of wheels that I take to the track. 2 sets of apex, with 3Rā€™s and RS4ā€™s. And then my HP wheels with the PS4S. If itā€™s a track Iā€™m familiar with, Iā€™ll load up with the 3Rā€™s. If itā€™s a new track Iā€™ll start on the RS4ā€™s to slow roll a little šŸ˜¬
I have only 1 track day with the Goodyear but still look good. Next week I have 2 track days so let's see if they make it! I have had a few track days with the Cup 2's and there is still life in them.
The reason I went with square is exactly that. You can rotate any which way and have 1 spare that works front or rear with the front spacers. Since I don't trailer my vehicle, I drive my Mach1 with the PS4S to the track and can take 4 Apex wheels (305's) in the car. 2 in the trunk, 1 in the back behind roll bar and 1 strapped in the passenger seat. I'm still trying to figure out how to take the 1 spare (5th wheel). Just can't do it without removing passenger seat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I have an opportunity to get Velgen 20 inch wheels for the same price as the Apex. What would you recommend?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I have an opportunity to get Velgen 20 inch wheels for the same price as the Apex.
Apex 100% between those.

But not to throw a wrench on your plans, the SVEs are a good "budget" option and I know they work really well on track. I'm on a few track based Mustang groups and you will get alot of good reviews on them from those guys.

Now if you can swing the Apexs, go with them. But if you want to save a few hundred bux you can't go wrong with SVEs.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350

I run the same setup. Apex 19x11 with super car 3r. I get 3 days every time with this tire and it gets real slippery after that. The f1 supercar non r is also a really good tire and will last at least double than the r but obviously not as fast.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
I also started out with a non HP car. Got my recaros and tremec thoā€¦. You will be surprised what the non HP wheels and tires can do. I took the Mid Ohio High Performance, Advanced High Performance and Lapping Courses with a stock non HP Mach 1 only mods were HP Splitter and spoiler. After those courses I decided to go beyond the handling package with Steeda: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022-non-hp-to-above-hp-conversion-all-steeda.176289/
If you donā€™t have much or any track experience I think your be fine with the non HP wheels and tires. If youā€™re going to track the car camber plates are a minimum addition. For me I love the way the HP wheel looks so I sold my non HP set. I have 2 sets of HP wheels one with cup 2s and one with sport 4s.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Budget would be some cheap SVE 19x10 wheels with square 285 tires. Something like the RS4 or one of Falken's offerings. Keep in mind at a track day you may be paying for hotels, instructors, brake pads, brake fluid flushes, more frequent engine oil changes, in addition to burning through tires like they're keenex.

When you're starting out you really don't need a maximum wheel/tire setup. You need tons of hours on track so keeping the costs down helps. You can spend $$$$ on forged wheels and SportCup2 tires, but if you then quit tracking when the tires die after two weekends because you can't afford more, then maybe wrong way to start out.

Don't get 20"wheels for the track, it really severely limits your tire options. 18 or 19s for track tires.

18x11 or 19x11 wheels are fun, but the grip is not a huge step up over good 19x10s. You'll need camber plates and extended studs and spacers to do it all right and keep things rotatable.

Sport Cup 2s are good track tires, but they are way expensive and you won't get a ton of sessions out of them. Not sure I'd recommend those for a novice. (they're good for magazine stats tho).

Sponsored

adeuel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I just burned through the factory Cup2s at the Glen last week. 6.5 hours on track over two days and there's only two sipes left.
I wanted to use them up to put 4S on the factory wheels for street use.
Cup2s are great on the track, but don't heat up enough on the street.
My track wheels are SVE R350s 19x11 square. Will run 28-30mm spacer up front with Hoosier R7s all around.
IMG_6819.jpg

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The fast set up for track work are apex 18X11 with 305 nt01
You need camber plates for around -3*
18ā€ tires are cheaper than 19ā€
Extended studs in front with 1ā€ spacer to be able to rotate tires
Nt01 will give you around 30, 20 minutes sessions with proper rotation
Talking open track sessions, not w2w

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
The fast set up for track work are apex 18X11 with 305 nt01
You need camber plates for around -3*
18ā€ tires are cheaper than 19ā€
Extended studs in front with 1ā€ spacer to be able to rotate tires
Nt01 will give you around 30, 20 minutes sessions with proper rotation
Talking open track sessions, not w2w
18" wheels won't fit on a 350 not sure about the mach. I thought it had the same brakes?