Sponsored

Track Setup for Mach 1 - What Wheel/Tire Combo can you recommend?

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
There's plenty of torque from 3500-4500. Not really a need to wind out to 7k each time. Unbalances the car a lot. Try shifting around 4.2k and you'll be able to stay in 4th (and balanced, carrying more speed) around more of the track.
Out of morbid curiosity, the next time I go to Mid Ohio, Iā€™ll run a lap your way on video and then we can compare.
Sponsored

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Any thoughts on A052 tires, on HP rims.

275/35 (tread width 10.2) front and 295/35 (tread width 11.1) rear.
The tread width in these sizes seems well matched to HP rims.

adeuel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Out of morbid curiosity, the next time I go to Mid Ohio, Iā€™ll run a lap your way on video and then we can compare.
Cool. Let me know. Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting shifting at 4200 from 5th to 6th. lol. At that track, you should be able to run mostly 4th. There shouldn't be a reason to 4-3 shift going downhill, only maybe uphill.

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
VERY NICE!!! I love my HP wheels with Cup2's but they don't last long if you are going to push hard.
Image 6-8-23 at 9.10 PM.jpeg

HP wheels with Sport 4s work well too just not at fast or feel as good as Cup 2's. Here's a vid on HP wheels and Sport 4s:
Iā€™m surprised that youā€™re able to wear shorts while on the track. All of the organizers I run with require mandatory long pants and long sleeved shirts, some will go short sleeves if the ambient air temp gets into the high 80ā€™s with high dew points. Most encourage drivers suits with a good pair of sfi spec 3.3/5 shoes.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I look forward to seeing these results šŸ˜

Any thoughts on A052 tires, on HP rims.

275/35 (tread width 10.2) front and 295/35 (tread width 11.1) rear.
The tread width in these sizes seems well matched to HP rims.
I would probably just run 295's all around with the HP wheels. You could have a little more front grip and could rotate with tires being re-mounted. This is how I ran my PP2 with 305's all around. Though I'm not sure if the extra height would be an issue. I think they are almost an inch taller than the SC2's that come factory on the HP wheels.

Sponsored

Iceman19BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 Tremor
Obviously this comment is dependant on what your plans are, but having been to the Track Attack, where all the Machs are running PS4S.......these are totally fine for track days and street use, if you are not building a dedicated setup. The instructors absolutely flog the shit out of the cars on these tires. Sure, they could do better on a more aggressive tire, or even a slick, but I doubt the average joe is even close to approaching a professional racing drivers skill level.

Just food for thought.

Noleftist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Agree 100% with others here, Apex all the way. 19x11 square. Much lighter than those HP wheels. If you donā€™t want to run extended studs and spacers Apex has a fitting with different offsets for the front, but you canā€™t rotate front and rear. You can rotate left and right though, as long as itā€™s not wet the directional pattern doesnā€™t factor. If itā€™s wet Iā€™m throwing my HP wheels on with the PS4Sā€™s anyway.

The Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R are fast. They are my go to at the moment. They donā€™t last long though. I almost got 2 weekends out of mine before they were toast. Another option for running lots of laps are the Hankook RS4ā€™s. Noticeably slower than the 3Rā€™s but they last forever.

I have three sets of wheels that I take to the track. 2 sets of apex, with 3Rā€™s and RS4ā€™s. And then my HP wheels with the PS4S. If itā€™s a track Iā€™m familiar with, Iā€™ll load up with the 3Rā€™s. If itā€™s a new track Iā€™ll start on the RS4ā€™s to slow roll a little šŸ˜¬
How do you get all your wheels to the track?
are you putting your car in a trailer and then you have plenty of storage for wheels, tires, gas, other parts, etc.?
Those of us that donā€™t have big trailers and truck to pull them can you fit a complete set of four tires mounted on wheels in your 2021 and up Mach 1?
Thank you.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I have an opportunity to get Velgen 20 inch wheels for the same price as the Apex. What would you recommend?
Just to be concise:

1. No on 20ā€™s
2. Fender lips arenā€™t needed for 275ā€™s
2A. Fender lips arenā€™t needed for 305ā€™s
2B. Youā€™ll want camber negating the need for fender lips
3. Get a 19x11 +52 offset
4. Get slip on spacers with ARP studs for front
5. Enjoy easily rotating wheels front to back

In closing:
Apex arenā€™t necessary but they are a nice track wheel. Their forged units are REALLY nice.

I would shy away from the fire hawks.

If serious about track running I would open up the shock towers.
IMG_7091.jpeg

I also have 2 remaining Carbon Fiber Antigravity Battery Trays if you wanna lose 25-35 lbs off the front.
IMG_7621.jpeg

MPGainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2014 Porsche 911 50th
are you putting your car in a trailer and then you have plenty of storage for wheels, tires, gas, other parts, etc.?
Those of us that donā€™t have big trailers and truck to pull them can you fit a complete set of four tires mounted on wheels in your 2021 and up Mach 1?
Thank you.
Before I bought a trailer I put one wheel in the trunk (and jack, tools, etc.) and three across the back seat. Itā€™s tight but it fits.

Sponsored

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
Thank you.
I was using a trailer. But before the trailer I was just on one set of Apex wheels with the SC3r tires, and would arrive and drive with those wheels already fitted. Now I do have a buddy that fits a set of apex 19x11 in his car. @txgt will tell you all about thatā€¦.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I feel that a hauling vehicle is critical if you get serious about the track life

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Thank you.
I was using a trailer. But before the trailer I was just on one set of Apex wheels with the SC3r tires, and would arrive and drive with those wheels already fitted. Now I do have a buddy that fits a set of apex 19x11 in his car. @txgt will tell you all about thatā€¦.
I really wish that I had a truck and a trailer to haul my car, tires, and fuel jugs to the track but I'm not quite there yet. So, in the meantime I figured out that I can actually fit a full set of 19x11" wheels in my car and 3 VP Racing fuel jugs plus the other miscellaneous stuff I need for a track day all in my car.

My technique is to fold down the rear seats and fit 3 tires in the trunk/folded down back seat while the fourth tire rides shotgun in the passenger seat. I ratchet strap 2 of the VP Racing fuel jugs being the driver's seat and a third goes into the passenger floor board.

I didn't take any photos of the VP Racing jug setup, but these are from a previous track day where I just brought a 5 gallon ā€œlawn mowerā€ gas can (which I'll never do again 'cause those cans are really hard to refuel with!)

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

MPGainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2014 Porsche 911 50th
Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d use the seatbelt or something more secure for that wheel on the passenger seat. If you get in an accident that may become a projectile.