Sponsored

Track Package or Not?

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
The poll on this forum shows less than 8% ordered the base car, no MR, that's a small number.
Sponsored

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Tech Package
I ordered the tech pack to get the extra creature comforts. I Find that the Recaro seats are uncomfortable. I am a big guy but not huge at 6'2" and 220lbs but the bolster in the Recaro seats squeezes me too tight on my back and ribs. I am also ordering a Fiesta ST to be my daily driver and I will have to drop the Recaro seats in that one as well.

GTtreefiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
It sounds like base would be good for your needs. If you won't be doing competitive driving then the magneride won't be neede for the range of handling abilities and the base suspension will be likely be comfortable enough on the road (very similar to GT PP shocks and dampers).

I can't speak to resale but I don't think selling the car would be an issue either way.

TexasTrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350, 2012 F-150
If you ordered the base, there is some pretty decent air suspension setups available that can give you more adjustability. It wont auto calibrate like magride, but they are pretty cool.
[ame]

^ They make a kit for the 2015 regular mustangs already.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
...so what's the difference in handling or feel in the the track pack and tech pack cars ? They both have magneride, and from what I've read, the suspension and steering bits are the same. Personally, I'm planning on a tech pack car.

Sorry - I may have been confusing with my answer. I'm pretty certain that the Track and Tech Packs will handle the same. I was referring to the difference between the base vs the 2 packages. :thumbsup:

Also, I just amended my posting, as I realized that I repeated the words "Track" instead of saying "Track/Tech Pack". :D

The Track/Tech packs should handle the same, maybe a slight rear downforce advantage on the Track pack with the duck tail spoiler its packaged with.

But, seeing all the reviews thus far, it seems the real clincher for the "R" performance is simply the tires. Wider footprint and stickier rubber transforms the car into a corner hugging beast with no understeer. Makes sense since even Randy Probst himself has concurred with Tire Rack tests that the biggest performance increase for any car as far as handling....is in the tires.

So the equalizer for anyone who wants to chase down an "R" in a non "R"...is apparently more downforce and sticker rubber on all 4 corners. Therefore a Wing, and Stickier tires. Of which there are plenty of summer rubbers on the Market that will exceed the performance of the Pilot's on the non "R" and nip at the SC's.

Simple enough to do. Still those Sport cups ain't cheap and will likely be bald in no time with a few good track days.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Track pkg has stiffer spring rates... that'll affect handling & balance to be on the firmer side albeit probably minor.

And the Michelin PSS tires are pretty good even on the track. The Cup2's are likely the best for DOT tires especially since it was engineered with the FP team but there aren't many other brand or compounds that'll annihilate the MPSS... R-comps from Toyo and Trofeos from Pirelli come to mind if they even have the correct sizes for the GT350... I haven't searched.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Track pkg has stiffer spring rates... that'll affect handling & balance to be on the firmer side albeit probably minor.

And the Michelin PSS tires are pretty good even on the track. The Cup2's are likely the best for DOT tires especially since it was engineered with the FP team but there aren't many other brand or compounds that'll annihilate the MPSS... R-comps from Toyo and Trofeos from Pirelli come to mind if they even have the correct sizes for the GT350... I haven't searched.
Perhaps the Pilot SS's about an inch wider front and back or squared would fare better?

In any case the common denominator across all the reviews seems to point to the difference the tires make.

radelow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None

Does anyone know how the "heavy duty" springs on the Track Package compare to the R setup?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would guess they are the same springs, but no way to tell until we get PNs for the individual parts

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know how the "heavy duty" springs on the Track Package compare to the R setup?
Track/Tech and the "R" Package all share the SAME rear counter spun springs with a spring rate of 914-Lbs/in.

The front coils

Tech/Track share 194-Lbs/in. Front Coil Springs

The "R" uses 240-Lbs/in. Front Coil springs

No listings thus far for the Base GT350 Springs.

Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Track/Tech and the "R" Package all share the SAME rear counter spun springs with a spring rate of 914-Lbs/in.

The front coils

Tech/Track share 194-Lbs/in. Front Coil Springs

The "R" uses 240-Lbs/in. Front Coil springs

No listings thus far for the Base GT350 Springs.
The only physical thing I have seen at the moment are shorter rear sway bar ends on the R, I'll likely order them for my track pack car if there is a touch of understeer.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The only physical thing I have seen at the moment are shorter rear sway bar ends on the R, I'll likely order them for my track pack car if there is a touch of understeer.
The one thing all the reviews thus far concur on is that the rubber on the "R" eliminates the understeer.

If anything a really good set of rubber would eliminate that problem.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
My use case for the car is as follows - collector, occasional autocross or HPDE, street driver. The Tech and Track Packs are the financial difference from me being in or out, hence, based on my use and $$, I plan on the base car.

I agree with folks that a Tech or Track Pack car will likely be more desirable, but I believe there are some who will later find a base car intriguing, just because there likely won't be many. It probably would be a small audience though.

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
My use case for the car is as follows - collector, occasional autocross or HPDE, street driver. The Tech and Track Packs are the financial difference from me being in or out, hence, based on my use and $$, I plan on the base car.

I agree with folks that a Tech or Track Pack car will likely be more desirable, but I believe there are some who will later find a base car intriguing, just because there likely won't be many. It probably would be a small audience though.
Then when you get a chance bag that ride with an air ride suspension. So when you park it you can slam it down like a gangster. And then totally set it up for a good ride on the track or the street. Not active like the Magneride suspension, but certainly very cool and very effective.

mvic1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2012 boss 302 and 2015 WW LE 2016 Shelby GT350
I'm thinking about going with the base because I won't be tracking the car, so I don't need the track package. I don't need the tech package, my 50th Anniversary L.E. has all the bells and whistles. Looks like the base will work.
Sponsored