Sponsored

Tow Hook

Captian_Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 DELIVERED, 2020 GT350, 2005 GT Premium, 2012 Fiesta, 2015 GT Premium, 2017 F150 Lariat,
Today I installed a ZL1 tow hook on my 2020 GT350. I elected to remove the front facia to get access to the crash bar where the tow hook brace has to be installed. After removing the facia I found this on the crash bar.

IMG_2686 3.jpeg

Now, I know that I am not the smartest guy but that sure looks like the tow hook receiver on my GT500. I am not an engineer and my mechanical abilities are somewhat limited. But.. Would it not be a lot easier to create a template of some kind and then cut into the facia with a Dremel tool to access this receiver and just screw your tow hook into it like on the GT500. I am sure someone could create a plug on a 3D printer to put in the hole when the tow hook is not installed just like the GT500 has. I think the install would be a lot easier then removing the facia like I did.

If i am wrong I am sure folks will let me know and if you are the kind of guy/gal that has the ability to come up with some kind of template, then have at it.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Today I installed a ZL1 tow hook on my 2020 GT350. I elected to remove the front facia to get access to the crash bar where the tow hook brace has to be installed. After removing the facia I found this on the crash bar.

IMG_2686 3.jpeg

Now, I know that I am not the smartest guy but that sure looks like the tow hook receiver on my GT500. I am not an engineer and my mechanical abilities are somewhat limited. But.. Would it not be a lot easier to create a template of some kind and then cut into the facia with a Dremel tool to access this receiver and just screw your tow hook into it like on the GT500. I am sure someone could create a plug on a 3D printer to put in the hole when the tow hook is not installed just like the GT500 has. I think the install would be a lot easier then removing the facia like I did.

If i am wrong I am sure folks will let me know and if you are the kind of guy/gal that has the ability to come up with some kind of template, then have at it.
Honestly been wondering the same thing about the 2019+. The only challenge (albeit a minor one) is figuring out how to design a cap. The hole on the GT500 (an European spec cars, by law) is closed when the tow hook is not in place. To do the same on the GT350, a cap of some sort would be needed to close the hole in the bumper cover when the tow hook is not installed.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
OP
OP
Captian_Eddie

Captian_Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 DELIVERED, 2020 GT350, 2005 GT Premium, 2012 Fiesta, 2015 GT Premium, 2017 F150 Lariat,
If you drilled the right size hole in your facia you could probably is a snap-in panel plug like these:
https://www.mcmaster.com/plugs/panel-plugs/

Yes, something like that would work. I was thinking about a plug that is the same color as your facia. My car is FP blue so a color matching plug would be hardly noticeable when installed. Plus finding the exact right place to drill would be a crap shoot for me. Thats why I thought someone could create a vinyl template or something to show the exact spoy to drill.

Sponsored

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I am not too sure how far away the facia is from that hole but you could use a dowel center, put it in the hole and secure it with tape or a hot glue gun, put the facia back on, press it against the dowel center and then pull the facia off. There will be a mark on it from the dowel center.

dowel center

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Yeah I don't know, I just don't think it will look that neat. It will definitely stick out like a sore thumb with any sort of cap there. The GT500 gets away with it as it's in the black centre section and is right up against edge of the color coded section that sits further forward.

It's a shame that on their track hero car, Ford didn't think to put a tow hook attachment.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.09.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.12.30 PM.png

Sponsored

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
Any way we could copy that Euro setup?
I think the problem there is, GT350's were not exported to Europe, and
the Mustang GT Front Fascia is way different.
Hopefully someone figures how to do this, I'm getting ready to install
a FP GT4/FP350S Front Tow Hook, and it looks like a major ordeal.
I'm going to wait for a while.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think the problem there is, GT350's were not exported to Europe, and
the Mustang GT Front Fascia is way different.
Hopefully someone figures how to do this, I'm getting ready to install
a FP GT4/FP350S Front Tow Hook, and it looks like a major ordeal.
I'm going to wait for a while.
Must have been typing at the same time as you.

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
Yeah I don't know, I just don't think it will look that neat. It will definitely stick out like a sore thumb with any sort of cap there. The GT500 gets away with it as it's in the black centre section and is right up against edge of the color coded section that sits further forward.

It's a shame that on their track hero car, Ford didn't think to put a tow hook attachment.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.09.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 2.12.30 PM.png
Before this thread gets buried forever, if anyone decides to do this, it would
certainly be interesting.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Before this thread gets buried forever, if anyone decides to do this, it would
certainly be interesting.
I'm installing a GT500 bumper on my GT PP, would like to run a ZL1 tow hook or Bremmspeed license plate holder. I might have to swap with a crash beam where the tow hook hole is in the right place. I got to utilize that door in the bumper!

Edit: Found where I can get a crash beam with the tow hook https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-impact-bar-jr3z17757a
Sponsored

Last edited: