Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
The PP2 is a great car, although I think they should have added the coolers for the track.. the new Mach I - is PP2-2.0
I personally never understood the need for guys to add supercharges to the 350, or lowering springs, exhaust changes, etc.. A lot of engineering design went into it, I just wouldn't mess with modding a 350 unless you have a lot of cash and you want to experiment...
Most of us haven’t attained the abilities yet to extract the most of one of these new Ford Performance mustangs on a road course. I’m still not there yet on my GT350R. So I’m going to the Gym instead and try 474 lbs x2 reps on the lat row . That is easier lol .
Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I personally never understood the need for guys to add supercharges to the 350, or lowering springs, exhaust changes, etc.. A lot of engineering design went into it, I just wouldn't mess with modding a 350 unless you have a lot of cash and you want to experiment...
I'm somewhat guilty on this one. Some of us just like to tinker and can't leave well-enough alone!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Most of us haven’t attained the abilities yet to extract the most of one of these new Ford Performance mustangs on a road course. I’m still not there yet on my GT350R. So I’m going to the Gym instead and try 474 lbs x2 reps on the lat row . That is easier lol .

So what are you say. you lift the 350 with one hand and change the oil with the other ............. bragger :muscle: lol

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Because improvements can always be made?

Also..a lot of people like making it more their own
I don't think you can improve much on what the 350 already is. You can morph it into something else ... which is what adding a blower will do..but then you are turning it into something that it was originally designed for.... it's not designed to be a drag car, or stop light burner.. it's a NA, high revving motor that needs to be wound out and it's not going to happen tooling around town...
To each his own, but I think people are missing the beauty of this car modding it engine or suspension wise.. Cosmetic mods are all I would suggest...
but to each his own....

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I don't think you can improve much on what the 350 already is. You can morph it into something else ... which is what adding a blower will do..but then you are turning it into something that it was originally designed for.... it's not designed to be a drag car, or stop light burner.. it's a NA, high revving motor that needs to be wound out and it's not going to happen tooling around town...
To each his own, but I think people are missing the beauty of this car modding it engine or suspension wise.. Cosmetic mods are all I would suggest...
but to each his own....
yeah..i agree..to each his own
you think morphing it into something else isnt improving it..and i disagree
i believe that if you couldnt improve on the gt350..there wouldnt be a gt500.

also you could improve the reliability of the voodoo engine.

either way, its a beautiful, nice car. and if you are speaking purely keeping it what it was designed for (keeping it NA as a restriction too)..then sure.

all this being said, i would probably just throw a blower on it and some cosmetic mods and be done.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I personally never understood the need for guys to add supercharges to the 350, or lowering springs, exhaust changes, etc.. A lot of engineering design went into it, I just wouldn't mess with modding a 350
I agree with one exception... and it's completely a personal preference.
I removed the resonators from my 350 within the 1st week of ownership. It now has the same exhaust as the GT350R, which I think sounds better than the 350 with resonators.
Purely a personal opinion...!

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
but to each his own....

There's lots you can do! It's a car built for compromise - street/daily use and track use. If you want it primarily be for one of the other, there's lots to tweak.

That said, Ford did a fantastic job on it!

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
There's lots you can do!
Kevin, you are on a whole different scale from a lot of us.... driving and mechanical skills both!
Brain surgery better be easy for a Brain Surgeon.
I darn sure would not have the confidence to tear apart my VooDoo, or try and keep up with you on a track.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Back to the original question....

I ran these numbers when I first decided to buy a GT350.

Unlike a lot of previous upgraded mustang variants (Roush and Saleen, even the Shelby American Super Snakes) the 350 isn't just a GT that's been worked over.

The latest GT's have actually incorporated some of the GT350 line improvements (magneride, etc).

Could you "build" a GT350 from a GT? Sure, but look what it'll cost you: First off, the 350 starts out wider, so once you've purchased the front and rear fenders and the side skirts, and you've bought wider wheels and tires, you now dimensionally have a similar chassis.

Then, upgrade the brakes, and not just Brembo's, upgrade to 2 piece rotors with 15.5" brakes up front and the 4 piston 15" rear.

Now upgrade the transmission, including the transmission cooler. (don't forget this is going to have to be a complete overhaul, trans, clutch, driveshaft, shifter)

Upgrade the radiator (yes, the GT350 has a different radiator).

Upgrade the heat extractor hood.

We'll assume you have the "swing" if not, upgrade that.

Upgrade the front splitter (and the entire front clip while you're at it, if you want it to breath as well)

Now upgrade the rear axles and the rear diff cooler. If you don't already have 3.73's, swap those too.

Now add the oil cooler.

We'll assume that you have the new active exhaust (the GT at the time didn't, but that's pretty standard now)

We'll assume you have performance seats/recaros (if not, add those).

Now add the 2 gauge center console and gauges (oil pressure and temp).

Some things you CAN'T get without a GT350 (obviously the flat plane crank, the HUD shift light)
Some things you CAN'T get with a GT350 (Ford mycolor, rev matching, digital dash, etc)

Bottom line, could you build a GT350 starting from a GT (or come very close in terms of performance)? Yes, but it would probably end up costing you as much more more than if you just paid to buy a 350. There's a lot of inherent value that's tough to replicate for the package price of a 350.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hello all,

I have a 2016 GT with quite a few mods. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my suspension to handle more like a GT350. After breaking down the options, it was becoming increasing clear. Many of the upgrades I want to do are already on a 350. Common sense wise (don’t add up the numbers on a calculator), my brain is telling me why spend all this money on changing brakes, suspension, chassis, wheel size, etc.
After doing more research, there are Lots of differences between the coyote and the voodoo. I’m sure many of you folks have already reached this crossroad. What where some of your determining factors that helped you make your decision? In either direction. Posting this on the S550 board as well.

Thank you,
Michael S...
We sell some BMR suspension kits here at www.lethalperformance.com which would greatly increase the performance of your car on the street or strip. I guarantee you, it will not break the bank either. Send me a message i'll get you situated!

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kevin, you are on a whole different scale from a lot of us.... driving and mechanical skills both!
Brain surgery better be easy for a Brain Surgeon.
I darn sure would not have the confidence to tear apart my VooDoo, or try and keep up with you on a track.

Ha! I wouldn't recommend anyone do what I've done. It's a good way to ruin a perfectly good car.

I was thinking far subtler things. hehe

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
There's lots you can do! It's a car built for compromise - street/daily use and track use. If you want it primarily be for one of the other, there's lots to tweak.

That said, Ford did a fantastic job on it!
I agree with the other poster, you are in a league of your own Kevin. :cool: I'm not disagreeing with the guys that want to mod and improve. I just see this as a complete car out of the box for my purposes after my experience modding 2 GT's. I don't have the time or the mechanical knowledge and skill to do it at this point in my life. I paid to have someone do all the mods on my other vehicles.. it can get expensive really fast..
I tried to take apart my dishwasher the other day and after 4 hours and a cut finger I still didn't solve the issue.. LOL....My hats off to those who can do mechanical work and mod these vehicles no matter if it's a Eco, V6, GT, GT350, etc...

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
The issue from my perspective is the unreliability of the Voodoo. There's a lot to like about the 350, but that killed it for me.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The issue from my perspective is the unreliability of the Voodoo. There's a lot to like about the 350, but that killed it for me.
*Looks under the hood of my 4 year old Voodoo motor*

*Turns key*

Yep, still good!
Sponsored