Sponsored

Guidance on what to do

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
So long story short, my 17’ 350R has about 6200 miles on it now and since about 1000 miles it has had a very noticeable rattle, almost like a loose heat shield, coming from the front of the car. It only happens when the car is warm (takes about 10 miles of easy driving), and at 4000 rpms. I’ve had the car in to 2 different Ford dealers 5 times for this rattle to try and fix it with no luck so far. Each time I’ve taken the car to the dealer I have been able to reproduce the sound and the technicians hear it and agree it is not normal. Ford has replaced parts of the exhaust system under warranty as well as tightened various brackets they said were loose such as a transmission linkage bracket. I’m starting to get annoyed as it’s a very loud rattle and wondering what my next steps should be to resolve this. Do I call Ford NA?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Ben
Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does it rattle in neutral at 4000 rpm?

Or, only when it's on the road?

Might have to strap it down to a dyno and run it at 4000 rpm and see if you can locate the rattle, assuming it won't do it in neutral.

OP
OP

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Does it in Nuetral as well. This is how I’ve been able to fairly easily reproduce the sound to the technicians each time.

Does it rattle in neutral at 4000 rpm?

Or, only when it's on the road?

Might have to strap it down to a dyno and run it at 4000 rpm and see if you can locate the rattle, assuming it won't do it in neutral.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You can reproduce it and the techs can hear it but not isolate it?

I am NOT a mechanic but would think if the rattle is there, they should be able to diagnose it..
Does it sound internal to the 5.2 or external? From the top or bottom?
From the front, back, driver’s or passenger’s side?
All rattles are not alike, how would you describe it?
How’s your oil level?
Speak to you preferred dealer or call FP and ask for a case number and further direction on how to diagnose

OP
OP

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I would think they would be able to isolate it as well...It’s easy to hear and reproduce so I’m a bit confused as to how they haven’t been able to fix it. Definitely sounds external like a metal-to-metal rattle/vibration. Sounds like it’s coming from the front drivers side but could be echoing from somewhere else I suppose. Oil level is good...just got my first oil change and dealer did not report anything strange or lack of oil. I just dropped the car off again yesterday afternoon and asked the dealer to inspect the oil for any metal particles as well as the oil level but I haven’t noticed my engine losing oil like some here on the forums have. I’ve spoken to 2 dealers including the one I bought the car from, no luck so far. Next on the list is to call Ford NA and open a case number.

You can reproduce it and the techs can hear it but not isolate it?

I am NOT a mechanic but would think if the rattle is there, they should be able to diagnose it..
Does it sound internal to the 5.2 or external? From the top or bottom?
From the front, back, driver’s or passenger’s side?
All rattles are not alike, how would you describe it?
How’s your oil level?
Speak to you preferred dealer or call FP and ask for a case number and further direction on how to diagnose
Sponsored