Tire Wear Question

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I wasn't sure which forum to best post this in, but chose here since I have done quite a few HPDE and Autocross events on these tires. Below are some pics of my front tires and the last know alignment numbers I have. I am running the stock 2016 performance package wheels with 25mm spacers on the front and these are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I knew I needed tires soon, but as you can see the inside of the tires wore down to the belts without me knowing they were that bad. The center and outside aren't near as bad. I have seen many on here run more aggressive camber it seems. So I was wondering if this is something with my setup or just hard driving and wear? Also I can't really afford a dedicated set of separate track tires and wheels at this time so I am also looking for suggestions for tires comparable to the Michelin or are these still about the best option for performance/summer tires? I'm also wondering if I could go up at least one size on the stock wheels? They currently are 255 on the front and 275 on the rear. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

mustang alignment.jpg
tire inside.jpg
tire full.jpg
tire outside.jpg
Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
Hard to say - seems weird. How long were you running those original toe settings?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
you are surely running toe-out at zero mph and these cars deflect to produce more toe-out when driving, so you killed the inside fronts. The after measurements might even be wrong.

these cars need a little front toe-in to stop the carnage. Not much. Like 1/32 inch does the trick.

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Your toes is the issue. If it isn't zero, on the front, you are going to wear insides. I run toe out, about 2mm per side. Tires wear very nicely. For autoX tires at least. The rear is towed in 2mm on each side, and the tire wears almost flat.

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
you are surely running toe-out at zero mph and these cars deflect to produce more toe-out when driving, so you killed the inside fronts. The after measurements might even be wrong.

these cars need a little front toe-in to stop the carnage. Not much. Like 1/32 inch does the trick.
Your toes is the issue. If it isn't zero, on the front, you are going to wear insides. I run toe out, about 2mm per side. Tires wear very nicely. For autoX tires at least. The rear is towed in 2mm on each side, and the tire wears almost flat.
Thanks for the reply guys. It seems though one is suggesting running some toe-out and the other toe-in. It makes sense to me to run a little toe-in as was described to account for the deflection while moving.

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the reply guys. It seems though one is suggesting running some toe-out and the other toe-in. It makes sense to me to run a little toe-in as was described to account for the deflection while moving.
I run slight toe out because it makes the car more responsive, at the cost of tire degradation and a little darty-ness on public roads. If I was daily-ing the car, I would run toe in just slightly.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I run just a little toe in b/c I've found running more downforce I need to be at zero or just barely in otherwise I don't like how squirrelly the car gets over 100+. I'd rather tune my suspension for responsiveness than use outward toe. I fight the wear by running square and rotating often.

But we all like different feedbacks from the car.

I was thinking that the original excessive outward toe with that much caster was your problem. That's some aggressive caster - I run less than that at 2.9 front camber and 0.02 positive toe.

OP
OP
KevMeanRedGT

KevMeanRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
I run just a little toe in b/c I've found running more downforce I need to be at zero or just barely in otherwise I don't like how squirrelly the car gets over 100+. I'd rather tune my suspension for responsiveness than use outward toe. I fight the wear by running square and rotating often.

But we all like different feedbacks from the car.

I was thinking that the original excessive outward toe with that much caster was your problem. That's some aggressive caster - I run less than that at 2.9 front camber and 0.02 positive toe.
OK thanks for the input. What range do you try to hit for caster?

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
OK thanks for the input. What range do you try to hit for caster?
I don't think you're changing caster w/o getting new adjustable plates and that's a big rabbit hole to go down. I run 2.8 camber, 6.7 caster, and 0.02 toe front.
Sponsored