Sponsored

Tire pressure for winter storage? -40 C*

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys, what would your tire pressure be for winter storage? It will get coldest of about -40 C* here in Canada. First time storing, raise, lower, or keep stock tire pressure?
Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Hi guys, what would your tire pressure be for winter storage? It will get coldest of about -40 C* here in Canada. First time storing, raise, lower, or keep stock tire pressure?
I’d say move. On the other hand, with all the global warming talk, you may be in the best spot for the end run. The pressure on the tires goes down relative to the ambient temperatures. They won’t go flat, but if you overinflated them, you could run into trouble when the temp comes back up.

if you’re truly worried, put it on blocks, empty the tires and call it a winter. No human should live at -40

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
-40 C?? That can’t be right. Did you mean -40 F? That’s some serious cold.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
-40 C?? That can’t be right. Did you mean -40 F? That’s some serious cold.
Hes probably not far off but exagerating some, or hes factoring in wind chill., Parts of Ontario can reach between -20C and -30C in winter months.

Sponsored

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hes probably not far off but exagerating some, or hes factoring in wind chill., Parts of Ontario can reach between -20C and -30C in winter months.
Man, I can’t imagine. I start to bitch and complain around 20F.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Buy jack stands.

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry you are correct, I was factoring windchill. The vehicle will be indoor hanger unheated. -30 *C expected.
Not putting the car on stands, but have carpet cutouts for the tires.

Should I change the stock tire pressure? If so, what should I change the pressure to?

Thanks

Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
The break even point is -40.
More of a break down and die temperature. When I worked up in North Dakota we had spot beacons to use in case of emergency. Sometimes you had to warm up the batteries before you could hit the check in button to let the office know you got to the job site in one piece. Some of us drove 60-80 miles to get to the office in the morning, and then another 60 to a hundred or so miles to get to the work site.

Most of the two lane highways were covered with ice and or snow and if you went off the road they may not find you until everything thawed out months later. I feel I tempted fate quite a bit considering I grew up in an area that sees snow once a decade and I only like to look at it.

God bless all the folks that live in areas like that.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
We are supposed to have another hard winter this year...

I leave mine at 38PSI and have old carpet cut in squares under the tires in my garage.

Sits Nov to April no issues yet. I talked to a guy who owns a car museum out in Nfld and this is what he does.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
We are supposed to have another hard winter this year...

I leave mine at 38PSI and have old carpet cut in squares under the tires in my garage.

Sits Nov to April no issues yet. I talked to a guy who owns a car museum out in Nfld and this is what he does.
Out of curiosity, what does the tire pressure go down to during the coldest times during storage at that temp?

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Where in Ontario are you that you are concerned about -40C?

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
Everyone has their own way of doing it. I usually put the tires to a higher pressure like 42psi or so and will go out and roll the car forward or backward every few weeks to avoid flat spots.
Sponsored