Sponsored

Timing gear and OPG

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I want a charger but I'm scared now because I keep hearing people break timing gears or OPG. What happens when it breaks? If one breaks can it destroy the motor? what causes them to break? Is there a warning before it breaks of does it just go? is there something I can buy that will prevent it from breaking without replacing the timing gear and OPG? Thanks
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think it's the one on the bottom just simply shatter at higher rpm than stock. When it does, the valves stop moving and pistons hit the valves.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
There will be no warning.

Your cams and crank will be out of timing causing the Pistons and valves to collide.

If you have any doubt just do it right. Because with your luck the gears will break and you'll look back on this thread regretting not doing it.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I want a charger but I'm scared now because I keep hearing people break timing gears or OPG. What happens when it breaks? If one breaks can it destroy the motor? what causes them to break? Is there a warning before it breaks of does it just go? is there something I can buy that will prevent it from breaking without replacing the timing gear and OPG? Thanks
I've talked to several people and below is a quote from a supercharger manufacture. I was about to order the gears and have them installed until I asked around. Sure, opg and the timing gear gives a sense of security but I will take my chances after talking to everyone that I have. Plus, if it was a wide spread issue, I would think that there would be more manufactures making after market gears.

We don't feel they are needed. Have yet to have an issue and we've got a lot in the field. We've also got over 30k of hard miles on our cars, shelby's and many others.

They don't fail often that is for sure. It's like an internet folk lore, they don't fail on street vehicles, only race one's revving to 8500rpm, banging on the limiters, etc.

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
I've talked to several people and below is a quote from a supercharger manufacture. I was about to order the gears and have them installed until I asked around. Sure, opg and the timing gear gives a sense of security but I will take my chances after talking to everyone that I have. Plus, if it was a wide spread issue, I would think that there would be more manufactures making after market gears.
Not worth the risk. Do them and be done with it. Listening to other people that haven't done it when you have your own doubts isn't going to help you sleep any better.

To be frank, most of the time I find the true reason people don't replace these items is not because they don't need to but because they cant afford to.

In my opinion, one could do all the research they want and get all kinds of results about what doesn't or does need replacing. The simple fact is that it CAN happen. When it does, you will be out a motor. Nobody is going to tell me that spending another 700 on parts to avoid a cataclysm was unwise.

If one needed to spend 700 on parts and another 1000 for install (if they cant do it themselves) ITS STILL WORTH IT! If your motor fails you are looking at 5000-8000 to replace.

If you can spend 6000k on sc, thousands on supporting mods like axles, driveshafts etc.....then why wouldnt you just spend the dang money on the OPG and TG and treat those with the same level of importance as the other items if not MORE important? :tsk:
pills.jpg

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Not worth the risk. Do them and be done with it. Listening to other people that haven't done it when you have your own doubts isn't going to help you sleep any better.

To be frank, most of the time I find the true reason people don't replace these items is not because they don't need to but because they cant afford to.

In my opinion, one could do all the research they want and get all kinds of results about what doesn't or does need replacing. The simple fact is that it CAN happen. When it does, you will be out a motor. Nobody is going to tell me that spending another 700 on parts to avoid a cataclysm was unwise.
Can't afford too...check my sig, that's not an issue. However, I based my decision off of talking with supercharger manufactures that test our cars with their products. Plus, where are all of these broken opg? I see a lot of people running superchargers on stock opg.

[/URL][/IMG]

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I person I know has an Aluminator in her 2011 GT street car. Along with boost. She has had two timing chain sprockets fail now. The motor was shipped back to FRPP for analysis after the second one broke. It will be interesting to see what they say.

I would recommend changing yours out if you value your time, don't like wasting it and despise aggravation. As well as saving money in the long run.

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
Can't afford too...check my sig, that's not an issue. However, I based my decision off of talking with supercharger manufactures that test our cars with their products. Plus, where are all of these broken opg? I see a lot of people running superchargers on stock opg.

[/URL][/IMG]
Then why wouldn't you? Its like having sex without a condom. Sure...you she might not get pregnant but it CAN happen. Guess what? Not every woman tells when she does either...

BTW, Nice setup :)

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Then why wouldn't you? Its like having sex without a condom. Sure...you she might not get pregnant but it CAN happen. Guess what? Not every woman tells when she does either...
Show me all of these failures? Where are they at and if there is such a risk, why are there not more companies making opg? What is the failure rate for FI 2015 mustangs?

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
But, if mine fail, I will own up to being wrong.

Sponsored

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

It is about risk versus reward. You are willing to risk not spending the money to replace the sprocket and chance the part will never break. That is fine. Until the sprocket brakes and you are mad you have to pay to replace it all.

FRPP told my friend twice that she didn't have to upgrade the timing chain sprocket. So twice it broke and she was out the cost of the tows to her shop. Out the cost of labor to R&R the motor. Pay for oil, coolant, shop materials and who knows what else. As well as the wasted time driving 3 hours each way to the shop twice each time. As well as the hassle of renting a car as her car is down. Who knows how long FRPP will take to inspect, warranty and ship back this motor. She may be paying for a rental car for months. All while paying on a car she can't drive. All this could have been solved by replacing the sprocket when she installed the motor the first time she installed it.

btw, she does not plan to put an upgraded sprocket in the motor when it goes back in either. I will never understand females. :headbonk:

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
It is about risk versus reward. You are willing to risk not spending the money to replace the sprocket and chance the part will never break. That is fine. Until the sprocket brakes and you are mad you have to pay to replace it all.

FRPP told my friend twice that she didn't have to upgrade the timing chain sprocket. So twice it broke and she was out the cost of the tows to her shop. Out the cost of labor to R&R the motor. Pay for oil, coolant, shop materials and who knows what else. As well as the wasted time driving 3 hours each way to the shop twice each time. As well as the hassle of renting a car as her car is down. Who knows how long FRPP will take to inspect, warranty and ship back this motor. She may be paying for a rental car for months. All while paying on a car she can't drive. All this could have been solved by replacing the sprocket when she installed the motor the first time she installed it.

btw, she does not plan to put an upgraded sprocket in the motor when it goes back in either. I will never understand females. :headbonk:
I would 100% upgrade if I was pulling the engine for a build like that. There is no reason not to. But, you are right, risk versus reward. I'm willing to chance it and I will pay to play. If my engine were to go tomorrow, I can just drive my truck around while I'm having a built engine put in.

Now, what scares me is having to tell my wife.

Inigo

P2P Engineering
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT 6spd
Show me all of these failures? Where are they at and if there is such a risk, why are there not more companies making opg? What is the failure rate for FI 2015 mustangs?
There are plenty of reported failures that are posted on forums and the like. I'm sure you've read a couple online already. There are many more that are not publicly reported online and why would they be?

Off your questioning but I've spoken to race shops whom specialize in building modulars/fords and although not reported online, they have had many incidents involving the TGs and OPGs on there shop cars and customer cars alike.

Manufacturing OPGs and timing gears is very expensive. Not every company has the capacity to produce these machine parts nor is it in there business sense to offer them over other products that don't require as much tooling and R&D.

I cant answer your last question without conducting a QA analysis report. Its not known and as such the opposite comparison cant be made either.

03ramit1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Dodge Ram
I don't see what the big deal is. For me it's a non issue. Buy the parts and install them. But then again, I'm a bit biased, as I would prefer the strongest motor possible. Anything to improve reliability is worth it in my book. And I feel this should come before a flashy blower, headers, CAI, or any other go fast part. Granted it's probably a low failure rate across the board, but it is a known failure point. So why wouldn't you fix it given the option?

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I don't see what the big deal is. For me it's a non issue. Buy the parts and install them. But then again, I'm a bit biased, as I would prefer the strongest motor possible. Anything to improve reliability is worth it in my book. And I feel this should come before a flashy blower, headers, CAI, or any other go fast part. Granted it's probably a low failure rate across the board, but it is a known failure point. So why wouldn't you fix it given the option?
Again, if it was such a know failure then where are all of these failures at. The way that some people act, you would think that there would be a dedicated thread about the failures. Look at how many 2015's are FI on the stock opg. I have been driving the hell out of mine since February with the whipple.
Sponsored