Sponsored

Another Case for Billet OPG and Timing Gear.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Literally is true, a week after we in installed an ATI balancer on my buddys 18 whipple car the OPG broke at the track. We installed the ATI and torqued it to 120 ft lbs but it didnt seat. We had to pull it and torque it down a 2nd time for it to seat. I want to do an 8 rib kit on my car bad, but I dont really wanna mess with an aftermarket balancer and my car even already has has billet opg and crank sprocket.
Thats why you dont use a crank bolt to tighten down an aftermarket balancer.You use a balancer install tool.Using the crank bolt you dont know if the bolt is bottomed out or if the crank pulley is all the way on,also take a risk of breaking the crank bolt off.When i put my stock balancer back on this weekend it went on so easy the motor did not even turn over and that was with spark plugs out.Have to hold the crank to torque the bolt down.and thats it.
Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
well if your using a stock sized bolt it would never bottom out in the crank unless the balancer requires a shorter bolt. I asure you also a stock sized arp bolt is not going to break off before the balancer is seated. We used a longer than stock bolt to get the balancer most of the way on first that came with the whipple 10 rib kit, Then when that bolt bottomed out, we torqued it the rest of the way with the stock sized arp bolt. 120 ft lbs with a stock sized arp bolt and it still didnt seat. It wasnt bottomed out because it seated perfectly with the same bolt on the 2nd attempt right after. ATI balancers are tight

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
well if your using a stock sized bolt it would never bottom out in the crank unless the balancer requires a shorter bolt. I asure you also a stock sized arp bolt is not going to break off before the balancer is seated. We used a longer than stock bolt to get the balancer most of the way on first that came with the whipple 10 rib kit, Then when that bolt bottomed out, we torqued it the rest of the way with the stock sized arp bolt. 120 ft lbs with a stock sized arp bolt and it still didnt seat. It wasnt bottomed out because it seated perfectly with the same bolt on the 2nd attempt right after. ATI balancers are tight
I was refering to guys bottoming out the install bolt,their have been.few cases stated on this forum where that has happened.Also there is been guys break harden bolts but i believe it was taking the dampner off.If i were installing an ati balancer which i just helped my buddie do his whipple ten rib pulley i would use a install tool.But thats just me,no chance of breaking off something in the crank.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
i can see that happening I suppose. You can feel the install bolt bottom out very easy when it happens, I can see novice mechanics keep cranking and bust it off that would suck lol.

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Any risk in a lightweight water pump pulley (MMR) changing harmonics with a stock balancer and causing issues?

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Any risk in a lightweight water pump pulley (MMR) changing harmonics with a stock balancer and causing issues?
Nah you're fine.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
So am i safe having my shop put in the boundry billet opg (bcuz mmr and tss are backordered) with tss Css and arp balancer bolt? (Stock balancer) for my turbo build. (Also doing return type fuel system)
Sponsored