Sponsored

Another Case for Billet OPG and Timing Gear.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Cheap piece of mind. I did em. 6-10 grand to boost your car. Not including install. 1-3 grand for a fuel system. 400 bucks for the sprocket and pump gear.
Yeah I agree. The fuel system is another area everyone rolls the dice with. Most end up buying a BAP the switching to a return style shortly after. I could have saved tons of money if I bought the best to begin with. I am at the point where do I live with a low 9 second car or dump a ton of money into it to go mid to low 8s.
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
totally agree with blue beast^^ and usually the installer will give you a break on the install price since most superchargers require most of the front cover stuff to come off anyways.

Jolivar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Premium GT
And some more...moral of the story is that even if you upgrade the crank sprocket, it still wont save you from the snapping the crank. We used the borscope to take a look inside...valves whacked pistons pretty hard. Scary thing is that this happened while cruising in 6th gear at about 2,000 rpm....totally out of the blue.
IMG951372.jpg
IMG951371.jpg
IMG951366.jpg
IMG951365.jpg
What crank pulley were you running?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
What crank pulley were you running?
Stock diameter ATI. I'm going to have it rebuilt by ATI for $75 and resell it, as I'm going to keep the stock aluminator one going forward.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
The common theme on 99% of the crank failures is an aftermarket balancer. I think a few have failed with stock balancers but most have aftermarket ones. I am not 100%confident that OPG and timing gears are needed but I have a hard time figuring out why you would risk not adding them since the cost is low and the job is not too involved.
A couple of well known coyote engine builders have told me that it is the improper installation of the ATI that causes the problems and most of the “fast” cars are running them. Definitely the fast blower guys. I hope they’re right, cause there’s one on my motor now and plans for one on the sleeved motor I’m having built

Sponsored

ramirj2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
A couple of well known coyote engine builders have told me that it is the improper installation of the ATI that causes the problems and most of the “fast” cars are running them. Definitely the fast blower guys. I hope they’re right, cause there’s one on my motor now and plans for one on the sleeved motor I’m having built
Exactly my case. Didn’t check interference and reached torque spec before seating it properly (ATI 6 rib on a Whipple 3.25’)
Mine and a stock picture for reference.
5A2D4116-C538-4D57-8902-3F34BAC5F804.jpeg
7A69CC9F-AED0-4B14-B1A7-3AFF9BFC76E4.png
1F28CAD9-3287-40FB-92E4-CD1935F372B8.jpeg

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Seems that there’s a few people who don’t believe it to be a worthwhile upgrade.
That’s cool. I get it.
Makes complete sense until you’re the 1 in 1000 who’s now staring down the barrel of a rebuild that could’ve been prevented had you spent a little cash.
Each to their own of course, but it’s a pretty cheap and simple install.
@Roh92cp
Your feelings?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yep...thats why i went with Innovators West balancer on this sleeved block.
20190809_160430.jpg
That’s a sexy piece. I had that balancer on the 95 nitrous car.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
How many CS failures have there been anyway other than the American Muscle guys?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Seems that there’s a few people who don’t believe it to be a worthwhile upgrade.
That’s cool. I get it.
Makes complete sense until you’re the 1 in 1000 who’s now staring down the barrel of a rebuild that could’ve been prevented had you spent a little cash.
Each to their own of course, but it’s a pretty cheap and simple install.
@Roh92cp
Your feelings?
So here was my OPG failure thread, happen 3 years ago with stock motor and Whipple with MMR balancer and ARP bolt torqued to spec. The MMR balancers are made by ROMAC in Australia a very reputable company that has been building quality Ford balancer for a long time. They also don't require measurements of crank snout or honing before install like the ATI. When mine was installed it for sure met full seat before the final torque was set. None the less a couple thousand miles later I crushed my OPG doing a second to 4th gear blast spinning tires through each gear, did not hit limiter either. My car had stock whipple pulley so was only making maybe 640 wheel.

I've talked with Dustin Whipple on this since and he said Ford techs have found that any after market balancer changes the harmonics which stock OPG & TG can't handle. The early though was better aftermarket balancer will help save stock OPG was actually worse, but no one really new that then. For all who want peace of mind and bulletproof security do OPG & TG gear, and all other leave stock balancer on with stock OPG, and all those with ATI balancer and billet OPG have the snout measured and honed before install or you risk crank shaft snout failure issue. I've taken my ATI off and went back to stock damper last month per Dustin Whipple and others recommendation because mine was not measured and honed before install and I didn't want to loose another motor.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/opg-failed-last-night-street-car.63037/

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Yeah my ATI has been shipped down to my engine builder to ensure a perfect fit to the new crank. Can't be too careful...

Jbud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 gr
Maybe where you get work done, but not Curtis. He has talked me out of lots of things that would make him more and more money, countless times. Sounds like you need to look for a better shop.
And yes why skimp 400 dollar parts when your tossing 15k with blower and fuel system?

We always post up the one that breaks out of the hundreds, thousands of cars NOT running them. I get it, one breaking is good for business....old news.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Literally is true, a week after we in installed an ATI balancer on my buddys 18 whipple car the OPG broke at the track. We installed the ATI and torqued it to 120 ft lbs but it didnt seat. We had to pull it and torque it down a 2nd time for it to seat. I want to do an 8 rib kit on my car bad, but I dont really wanna mess with an aftermarket balancer and my car even already has has billet opg and crank sprocket.

So here was my OPG failure thread, happen 3 years ago with stock motor and Whipple with MMR balancer and ARP bolt torqued to spec. The MMR balancers are made by ROMAC in Australia a very reputable company that has been building quality Ford balancer for a long time. They also don't require measurements of crank snout or honing before install like the ATI. When mine was installed it for sure met full seat before the final torque was set. None the less a couple thousand miles later I crushed my OPG doing a second to 4th gear blast spinning tires through each gear, did not hit limiter either. My car had stock whipple pulley so was only making maybe 640 wheel.

I've talked with Dustin Whipple on this since and he said Ford techs have found that any after market balancer changes the harmonics which stock OPG & TG can't handle. The early though was better aftermarket balancer will help save stock OPG was actually worse, but no one really new that then. For all who want peace of mind and bulletproof security do OPG & TG gear, and all other leave stock balancer on with stock OPG, and all those with ATI balancer and billet OPG have the snout measured and honed before install or you risk crank shaft snout failure issue. I've taken my ATI off and went back to stock damper last month per Dustin Whipple and others recommendation because mine was not measured and honed before install and I didn't want to loose another motor.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/opg-failed-last-night-street-car.63037/
Sponsored