Sponsored

In preparation for FI - while doing OPGS and Timing gear

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
BTW, forum sponsor Benny at LevittownFordSuperCenter has a "Complete Gasket Kit" that includes the above for less than the individual gaskets. Just ordered based on this thread.

Package deal? Will have to look him up.
Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
BTW, forum sponsor Benny at LevittownFordSuperCenter has a "Complete Gasket Kit" that includes the above for less than the individual gaskets. Just ordered based on this thread.

Just shot Benny a PM.

Thanks man!

Rintegration

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
So from what I've read there are 2 harmonic balancers I can go with, the ATI or MMR. The MMR is apparently lighter and also 100 dollars less. Does anyone know of someone coming across issues with the MMR Balancer? Do I need a specific harmonic balancer with a whipple setup?
ATI and don't look back

jchristena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
FYI...I just picked up that complete list of gaskets individually at sunriseford.com for 67 bucks shipped. That includes the silicon. Am I missing something?
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.37.37 AM.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
alrodri8

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
ATI and don't look back
Wish I wouldve seen this sooner. If there a particular reason ATI is better, reason I ask because the MMR one is already on the way. I believe the MMR one is made by Romac. Anyone have problems with Romac Balancers?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Wish I wouldve seen this sooner. If there a particular reason ATI is better, reason I ask because the MMR one is already on the way. I believe the MMR one is made by Romac. Anyone have problems with Romac Balancers?
I just did the MMR/Romac balancer last week, MMR and of course Romac are quality built products and Romac has been making race dampers for a long time. ATI is the go to here is the US and is of course quality and has the #1 name recognition.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
FYI...I just picked up that complete list of gaskets individually at sunriseford.com for 67 bucks shipped. That includes the silicon. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the list!:thumbsup: Just ordered everything minus the crank bolt. Have a new crank bolt that came with my Whipple 10 rib kit

Also added the BOSS Timing Chain Tensioners.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-boss-timing-chain-tensioners-p-2380.html

Also considering putting this in to fix the secondary tensioner, I did a mod similar to this in my 4.6 back in the day and made a huge difference in cam timing.
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ge=product_info&cPath=4_30_57&products_id=864

Can't believe Ford still mounts the tensioner upside down!:doh:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
IS the stock crank pulley balanced at factory to the engine does anyone know?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the ati or the mmr is fine,

romac makes mmrs and their are a great company.

we can get either for you.

it all depends on the power level your going to.

the tensioners isn't something we normally replace, but on all our high hp stuff we do the mmr tensioner bracket for the drivers side, the secondary chains and the chain guides

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
....the tensioners isn't something we normally replace, but on all our high hp stuff we do the mmr tensioner bracket for the drivers side, the secondary chains and the chain guides
Can you give a threshold for high HP? Where does say one of your Paxton kits fall for a non track guy, say 650ish WHP?

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
I ordered my Whipple when the Black Friday Sale was going on. Since the deal was so goo, I went ahead and got the 10 rib system with the ATI 20% overdrive damper. Getting ready to start my OPG's and crank sprocket. Does anybody have part number for all gaskets needed???

Bob
You wont need any gaskets. Everything is rubber o-ring type. Just need a few dabs of rtv here and there...

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

samcrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
These threads are all so mind numbing. The OPG sounds like it really needs to be replaced, but that turns into; while your add it, add a crank sprocket. Now its also a crankshaft damper.

In the theory posted (and the one I'm trying to understand), the crankshaft damper should negate the issues of the other 2. But everyone uses it as "in addition to."

So $300 turns into $600 which turns into $1100 + labor costs. Sure cheap insurance, but like warranties are always argued doesn't it really matter each individual application?

I have seen a BUNCH of threads posted since the coyote came out with the OPG breaking on FI cars. There is a recent video of a Twin Turbo car on Youtube that broke his on a dyno and has to do a motor rebuild. Travis at Boostworks also said this on his Twin car, and also another guy on SVTp forums with twins also broke his all within the last month or so.

I haven't even heard of a "real case" breaking the crank sproket, just vendors saying "we've seen quite a few."

I'm not harping on the vendors, or people on the thread, I'd just like to find a happy medium here. OPGs sound like the main issue here. What is the point of the rest on a street driven blower car running a mild boost number.

Obviously if you are building a Cobra Jet replica, these 3 parts are just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
OPG is a given

The Crank Gear is thinner on this model

Do OPG and Crank Gear if you want to be safest and have peace of mind

Do dampener if you don't want to do OPG/CG and pray they don't break
Sponsored