Time for a Tune-up

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I'm finally past 50K miles. Engine is still stock from the factory - naturally aspirated with no changes to cold air intake, tune or anything. The only thing I changed was adding catch cans on both sides.

I'm going to replace the plugs, belts, idler, tensioner, fuel filter, air filter, and decided to replace the coil packs, which is EXPENSIVE, but might as well do it all at once. If the factory ones are starting to falter I'd rather not have that going on with new plugs.

I'm planning on using factory replacement plugs, but thought I'd run these:

https://lmr.com/item/M12029M50E/ford-performance-ignition-coil-kit-16-17-m-12029-m50e

Any thoughts or objections? Any advice on a factory tune-up that I might be missing?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Imo replacing the coil packs at 50k is pretty wasteful. I'd go at least 80k on them before I'd even consider that. NA cars are typically nicer to their ignition systems than boosted ones. Your plugs are also probably fine, but there's nothing wrong with tossing in some new ones for peace of mind.

Belts are also one of those things where a visual inspection is warranted. If there's no noises or anything, the tensioner is also probably fine. I suppose of the car has lived a hard life with lots of high RPM you could be justified in slapping a new one on, but typically those live to at least 100k.

I'd check your water pump while the belts are off for any rough spots in the bearing, or any coolant residue near the weephole. They're known to kinda suck.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What fuel filter are you planning to replace?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Given the mileage, the only thing I'd consider out of that list would be plugs. And even that is plenty early, I'd just pull them and verify gap and condition and call it good.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
No point to replace coil packs that are working. Not the type of thing that looses performance or function gradually. They either work or they don't. Sometimes the can fail intermittently but you would know from misfires.

Really, I think these cars have 100,000 mile plugs in them. You could pull one and look at it but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. These cars don't have fuel filters. If changing belts makes you feel good do it. Air filter should be changed or cleaned every 15-20k in my opinion.

The great part about these cars is that they don't need a ton of maintenance. If you feel like you want to spruce up the car a bit I would recommend flushing and changing your fluids. Coolant and brake fluid especially. Maybe even put some royal purple in the rear end. Rotate the tires, clean it up and drive on.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
hmm interesting. I do all of the maintenance on the car myself and have since day 1.

Recently I've noticed some slugishness from idle to enough throttle in 1st gear (manual). Mostly off-idle. Not too much hesitation but it's there.

I really don't like replacing the plugs without considering the coil packs if I find any that aren't getting the voltage they need. If they aren't looking like they're in a rich or lean condition, or getting too hot maybe I'll wait. However, I can tell that throttle response isn't what it used to be, so I was assuming it was time. Maybe I'm wrong.

As for the fuel filter no plans on changing it (it's a stock motorcraft filter) unless I have to. I have clean ignition and should have good response but aren't it then it has to be fuel or air.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I would also do a run- through of bushings on the suspension components too especially if you’re getting clinks clunks squish squeaks
What fuel filter are you planning to replace?
310-00C Fuel System - General Information - 5.0L 32V Ti-VCT/5.0L Ti-VCT V8 (308kW/418PS) 2016 Mustang
Description and Operation Procedure revision date: 06/27/2014....

From the Fuel System Overview

Fuel Pump (FP) module containing:
The electric FP module which provides pressurized fuel to the high pressure Fuel Pump (FP) .
The Fuel Level Sender.
A check valve which maintains system pressure after the pump is shut off.
A pressure relief for overpressure protection in the event of restricted fluid flow.
A lifetime fuel filter providing filtration to protect the fuel injectors from foreign material.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
I would also do a run- through of bushings on the suspension components too especially if you’re getting clinks clunks squish squeaks

310-00C Fuel System - General Information - 5.0L 32V Ti-VCT/5.0L Ti-VCT V8 (308kW/418PS) 2016 Mustang

The electric FP module which provides pressurized fuel to the high pressure Fuel Pump (FP) .
The Fuel Level Sender.
A pressure relief for overpressure protection in the event of restricted fluid flow.
A lifetime fuel filter providing filtration to protect the fuel injectors from foreign material.
Suspension is mostly Steeda as of a year ago. They emptied my wallet. I'm nearing the point where I have to make a decision about brakes. Since they're the stock non performance pack GT brakes which I think are terrible I have a decision to make. Then I need to think about driveline, and when I upgrade the clutch I'll probably go with better half-shafts. I have the ford performance AMR studded hubs in boxes in the corner of the garage.

But back to my original question. I may need to take a hard look at the fuel system after I look at the plugs.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX

The Fuel Level Sender.
That's what I was getting at. There's no serviceable fuel filter on the gt. Unless OP is replacing the pump he can scratch that off the list.

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP