Sponsored

Thinking about making the switch from Paxton...

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Been super happy with my Paxton. Its been flawless probably no reason to switch other than i'm growing bored with the car and looking take the car up a notch in the torque department. Probably could go 8 rib and add a torque booster but after than the only step is a bigger headunit.

Car currently has fore fuel system, circle d 3c, and longtube headers. Considering making the switch to hellion, on3 top mount, or possibly a gen3 whipple.

Guessing the turbo options will have the most growth potential down the road. Looking for 1000+ rwhp capable and all the torque. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A Hellion kit is on my dream list..... ;)

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
Based on most of the comments in the forced induction section turbo is the way to go. I think hellion would be alot better quality than on3. I think Whipple will be more difficult to get to 1000 rwhp without a built motor. When you get bored of 1000rwhp the twins will give you more room to grow. The thing that would appeal to me about turbos is being able to lower the boost for the street and turn it up at the strip.

christian

Happy Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT
I switched over the winter. I went with a whipple Gen 2 because I got a great deal. Makes a lot more torque down low and my horsepower is up throughout too! With a 3.25 upper, I made 830/635. Totally different car.

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you can swing it go turbo... Hellion will have you a kit within 3-4 weeks.. Also go with the ball bearing turbos!

Sponsored

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
The Paxton setup is fun, but if your looking to make BIG torque numbers, its hard for the Paxton to hold a candle to a twin turbo setup or one of these newer generation PD blowers. The gen 3 Whipple or VMP are putting up some great numbers on the top end as well.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
If you're even considering Hellion, that's the way to go.

Like VRP said above, go with BB turbos over JB. Will save you hassle down the road.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
most cost effective would be a larger head unit on the setup you already have.

whipple doesn't really make more torque than the centri's, just makes it sooner.

if it's all about torque, from 2000-5000 rpms, then a turbo will give you the most torque.

the bigger torque numbers won't necessarily translate to quicker et's, and i never get the arguement on torque.

unless you want to go "stop light to stop light" at half throttle quicker. that is really the only difference, that a pd blower pd / screw blower will make 1/2 boost at half throttle where a centri will drive mostly like stock til you almost wot.

it really comes down to driving style.

i believe i still have the record for the quickest supercharged s197, s550, and 18+ all with centri blowers...

your below 6k rpms, for maybe 1/2 a second during a 1/4 mile run. when your shifiting at 7500 and coming in at 6500, your actually at peak torque for a centri setup, and running through the best part of the hp band.

again, it all comes down to driving style, but just making the swap to a different setup doesn't mean you'll be quicker, you'll still need more hp for that. which a head unit can get you, you can make 1100 plus with a billet ysi head unit

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Hey guys have a question, what all has to be done internally to go say blower, or turbos even ? Just curious. Full internal upgrades? Or will stock be sufficient for a little while til u break something?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys have a question, what all has to be done internally to go say blower, or turbos even ? Just curious. Full internal upgrades? Or will stock be sufficient for a little while til u break something?
Oil pump gears & billet crank sprocket and your good to go..

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is probably inappropriate, but..
Instantaneous authoritative torque at cruise rpm dominates in suppressing the will of others in traffic.

I want all the torque. Now. Fuck that asshole trying to cut me off.

No time for downshift.
No commuting on highway in 3rd gear spooled up just to use my blower.

I flinch my right foot to grab two car lengths. But hurt afterwards and wanna tailgate? I grab two gears and launch gravel in your windshield even at 70.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tugger50H

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
most cost effective would be a larger head unit on the setup you already have.

whipple doesn't really make more torque than the centri's, just makes it sooner.

if it's all about torque, from 2000-5000 rpms, then a turbo will give you the most torque.

the bigger torque numbers won't necessarily translate to quicker et's, and i never get the arguement on torque.

unless you want to go "stop light to stop light" at half throttle quicker. that is really the only difference, that a pd blower pd / screw blower will make 1/2 boost at half throttle where a centri will drive mostly like stock til you almost wot.

it really comes down to driving style.

i believe i still have the record for the quickest supercharged s197, s550, and 18+ all with centri blowers...

your below 6k rpms, for maybe 1/2 a second during a 1/4 mile run. when your shifiting at 7500 and coming in at 6500, your actually at peak torque for a centri setup, and running through the best part of the hp band.

again, it all comes down to driving style, but just making the swap to a different setup doesn't mean you'll be quicker, you'll still need more hp for that. which a head unit can get you, you can make 1100 plus with a billet ysi head unit

Ok you got me thinking. Where do the other head units fall inline novi2200sl,JT & Novi2200hd,Ysi, Jt-b, Ysi-B? Will I be able to spin the Ysi-b fast enough to run on wastegate until I build the short block? Or would a Ysi or JT-b be more efficient?

Seeking more of that mid range stop light to stoplight power but I imagine if you were really spinning a YSI or JT-B with your torque booster I would pick up more down low?

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
Ok you got me thinking. Where do the other head units fall inline novi2200sl,JT & Novi2200hd,Ysi, Jt-b, Ysi-B? Will I be able to spin the Ysi-b fast enough to run on wastegate until I build the short block? Or would a Ysi or JT-b be more efficient?

Seeking more of that mid range stop light to stoplight power but I imagine if you were really spinning a YSI or JT-B with your torque booster I would pick up more down low?
You really have to spin the ysi-b pretty hard to reach the blowers efficiency to the point where your really taking advantage of it, its compressor map doesn't start till 15psi.

The JT-b would probably be the better option. The JT and JT-b are good for cars shooting for numbers in the 900-1100whp range. If your looking for more than that, then stepping up to a ysi-b would be the next move up.
Sponsored