evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
This was my car a few weeks ago. Driving to work on a 50 degree day after 30 miles of cruise control at 70.

So I figured my tstat was defective or something, so ordered a EvenFlow 160 from Livernois. I pulled my tstat out and the new onelooked exactly like the one I took out. I placed both in a pot on the stove and both started opening at 160. So I put the new one in and now its running at 202 coolant and 212 cylinder head temps. And that is the same as when I have the stock tstat, so wondering why a 160 tstat has my car running at 202/210 in now 30 degree weather is what started me to do research on the different brands.
Reische FTW!!! I'm in Tampa, FL and our temps are around 70 to 80 degrees.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]pxNt-oQx5oQ[/MEDIA]"]

[/URL][/IMG]
Sponsored

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.reischeperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Charger
Ok let me see if I can shed some light here...

#1 Both a 160* and a 170* thermostat are wide open at 190* ECT so thermostat opening temp is probably not relevant to the data most of you guys are reporting.

#2 Hot-side or cold-side thermostat placement has nothing to do with where ECT is read, both types are fed the same coolant directly from the block (bypass) and will open at the same engine temp. Hot-side or cold-side just refers to which side of the radiator is being controlled, input or output. Fundamentally it doesn't really make much difference, both systems are currently being used on modern vehicles. Ford's OEM cold-side thermostats, however, are designed to isolate the heat motor better from the chilled coolant coming in from the radiator.

#3 As I stated in the above post quote, hot-side thermostats are functional in cold side apps. In fact all the thermostats Auto Zone sells for your applications are hot-side type. Also GM's later LS motor cold-side thermostats are more like hot-side units but they manipulated the bypass to always flow across the heat motor.

#4 Under hot conditions ECT will be more dictated by the amount of heat generated and your cooling system's ability to remove it. In cold weather ECT will be more more dictated by thermostat opening temp. We can conclude by all of this that the biggest difference between a 160* and 170* is that the 160* will run cooler in colder weather.

Certainly both products are viable options to get your ECT down. I think the 160* unit brings more compromises but it is cheaper. For a weekend driver or a track car it may be a fine choice. Personally I don't want the coolant in my street car to be that cold in the winter. Our Reische units are made from parts from your OEM supplier and built to a similar design. Assembled by hand they are more expensive but the cold-side design should bring with it more stable operation.

If anyone has any questions at all about our products I am always available via PM, email or phone.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
#1 Both a 160* and a 170* thermostat are wide open at 190* ECT so thermostat opening temp is probably not relevant to the data most of you guys are reporting.

#2 Hot-side or cold-side thermostat placement has nothing to do with where ECT is read, both types are fed the same coolant directly from the block (bypass) and will open at the same engine temp. Hot-side or cold-side just refers to which side of the radiator is being controlled, input or output. Fundamentally it doesn't really make much difference, both systems are currently being used on modern vehicles. Ford's OEM cold-side thermostats, however, are designed to isolate the heat motor better from the chilled coolant coming in from the radiator.

#3 As I stated in the above post quote, hot-side thermostats are functional in cold side apps. In fact all the thermostats Auto Zone sells for your applications are hot-side type. Also GM's later LS motor cold-side thermostats are more like hot-side units but they manipulated the bypass to always flow across the heat motor.

#4 Under hot conditions ECT will be more dictated by the amount of heat generated and your cooling system's ability to remove it. In cold weather ECT will be more more dictated by thermostat opening temp. We can conclude by all of this that the biggest difference between a 160* and 170* is that the 160* will run cooler in colder weather.

Certainly both products are viable options to get your ECT down. I think the 160* unit brings more compromises but it is cheaper. For a weekend driver or a track car it may be a fine choice. Personally I don't want the coolant in my street car to be that cold in the winter. Our Reische units are made from parts from your OEM supplier and built to a similar design. Assembled by hand they are more expensive but the cold-side design should bring with it more stable operation.

If anyone has any questions at all about our products I am always available via PM, email or phone.
:hail:

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I get from this is that my initial thoughts are correct.

The determining factors between the various reported temps are radiator (PP or not), transmission (auto or manual), and location (altitude, weather) and not due to the 160 vs 170 working differently or any hot-side vs cold side differences.

Basically, the one controllable variable we have is the radiator. The non PP Ford radiator sucks and is below capacity to maintain a low coolant temp.

The PP is a bit better, but an aftermarket big boy radiator is best. Now....where are they?

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Correct me if I am wrong, but what I get from this is that my initial thoughts are correct.

The determining factors between the various reported temps are radiator (PP or not), transmission (auto or manual), and location (altitude, weather) and not due to the 160 vs 170 working differently or any hot-side vs cold side differences.

Basically, the one controllable variable we have is the radiator. The non PP Ford radiator sucks and is below capacity to maintain a low coolant temp.

The PP is a bit better, but an aftermarket big boy radiator is best. Now....where are they?
I saw that Mishimoto is working on a aftermarket radiator. I used their radiators on my STIs and they are very nice.

ifly680g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just switch out the 160 Even Flo for a 170 Reische and wow what a difference.
First I took out the 160 Even Flo and put both in a pot of water. The even flo opened up 10 degrees before the 170 and I thought crap, this wont help.

I then installed the 170 T Stat and used the clamp method with a big plastic bag under the hoses. I caught about a QT of coolant, with very little leaking on the floor.

I then put everything back together and added the fluid that I caught in the bag and started it up, no leaks then took a long drive, and what a difference. I don't think the hot water test in a pot has any thing to do with how they work in the Mustang as my temps were significantly lower with the Reische 170 then the Even Flo 160.

Even Flo I was seeing ECT temps of 199 all the time and CHT temps of 205-215 actually saw 218 once.
Reische 170 so far the highest I saw was ECT temps of 180 mostly 178 during my drive, CHT temps were 185-187 max.

Temp outside was 33 today but I have drove the car in snow with temps in the 30's with the 160 T Stat and still saw the temps as described above. The coolant temps were as reported my NGauge and the CHT was reported in the ford Gauges menu.

Hope this helps.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
First I took out the 160 Even Flo and put both in a pot of water. The even flo opened up 10 degrees before the 170 and I thought crap, this wont help.

I then installed the 170 T Stat and used the clamp method with a big plastic bag under the hoses. I caught about a QT of coolant, with very little leaking on the floor.

I then put everything back together and added the fluid that I caught in the bag and started it up, no leaks then took a long drive, and what a difference. I don't think the hot water test in a pot has any thing to do with how they work in the Mustang as my temps were significantly lower with the Reische 170 then the Even Flo 160.

Even Flo I was seeing ECT temps of 199 all the time and CHT temps of 205-215 actually saw 218 once.
Reische 170 so far the highest I saw was ECT temps of 180 mostly 178 during my drive, CHT temps were 185-187 max.

Temp outside was 33 today but I have drove the car in snow with temps in the 30's with the 160 T Stat and still saw the temps as described above. The coolant temps were as reported my NGauge and the CHT was reported in the ford Gauges menu.

Hope this helps.
guess I am switching also

Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Here's the Reische stuff we have in stock now and there's a huge stocking order on the way.

We go through these things like crazy.

Give us a shout if you guys need any help placing your orders. We're here to assist you.

Thanks,
Jared

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449076266.604768.jpg

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Got mine Saturday! Will be installing soon.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I installed the 170 in my non-PP car, got it from lethal. Before CHT was 205-215 average, after I have yet to see it get over 195. Most of the time it is 189-192 that is driving around anywhere between 40-85 degrees ambient at close to sea level.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4

Hope this helps.

Awesome!!! Reische FTW!!! Clamping off the hose is so much easier.
Sponsored