The wheels are falling off...

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Yeah I managed to get myself on a tour of the Jaguar Land Rover plant at Halewood (everywhere other than paintshop) and that was a very interesting night.

Through work, I have also had the need to go into one of the JLR sub assembly suppliers (interior trim and fittings for the Evoque) and also multiple JCB facilities.

There's not a high proportion of my work that I truly enjoy, but I really enjoy stuff like that ... :sunglasses:

WD :like:
When i seen the robotic welders building up the bodies working i was in awe. Seemingly 100 arms grabbing steel panels and welding them all together in concert at a amazing pace. Completely different in real life than seeing it on a tv screen
However, as efficient as they were they are not smart enough to self adjust if the worker does not place the parts in the right spot for the robots to pick and place.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The shift manager that said install them, then the inspection manager that said SEND IT.
You clearly have never worked on a line, or worked EVER.
All unionized. Man you are truly dumb. Surprised you lasted this long in life.

Ben James

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550 Mustang GT
All unionized. Man you are truly dumb. Surprised you lasted this long in life.
IMG_6652.jpeg

I’d love to be able to see what is going on in a lot of the production lines with the current state of play worldwide…

I remember frantically sourcing as much different components as I could back in January 2020 because I thought that there would be issues down the line in manufacturing…. I thought that the biggest problem to come wouldn’t be that quality would be more expensive, more so that it would no longer be achievable.

During the last few years some vehicle manufacturers (JLR/Landrover) have even sent out vehicles with components missing (eg stereo systems) with the intention of retro fitment later on. If that’s not saying ‘we are in desperate times’ then I don’t know what does.

2023 and we’ve got a plethora of major issues worldwide affecting everything from supply, quality, economic pressures, workplace conditions and people’s mental health as a whole.

Maybe we should be amazed that there’s even things still getting done at all:frown:

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
The shift manager that said install them, then the inspection manager that said SEND IT.
You clearly have never worked on a line, or worked EVER.
The minons union or not, do what the manager, management tell them.
But it is EASIER to use the minons as a target, bonus if they happen to be union, RIGHT!!.
Not the manager that told them to keep the line moving and SEND IT!
Q/C at FORD is a MANAGEMENT PROBLEM. They send the units out the door.
The HOURLY peon checks off the issues and notes them on the inspection sheet, As it getting fixed adds hours to their pay, management makes the call to IGNORE the Inspection Q/C issues and tell them to SEND IT.
What is your take on a $25k fusion built in Hermosillo, Mexico having better door/hood/fender fitment than a $90k Halo mustang built in Flat Rock MI?

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
What is your take on a $25k fusion built in Hermosillo, Mexico having better door/hood/fender fitment than a $90k Halo mustang built in Flat Rock MI?
Newer equipment.
Need to have better fit and finish as it is a basic car more vehicles in that segment, the Mustang buyer would buy it with as long as it had the v8 rumble and smoked the tires.
And only 2 other 2 door v8 rear drive muscle/pony cars.
The union workers didn't make the tooling stamping out the ill fitting panels.
nor, are the robots welding them in place, Lack of investment of care of equipment is the problem at Flatrock. Everything works off the jig, if it is off, tolerance stack is a bitch.That and Ford knows they don't have to bother. they'll get more orders than they can fill.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You are wasting your time on this guy. He went away for a while, now he's back. Look up his threads and see all about it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Likely the same situation as why two ~$26K German-built VWs I've owned have had better panel fitment and paint quality than any new domestic I've ever owned. Overall build quality as well.

Ford is slipping, no doubt about it. My '15 Mustang has its share of quality nits, but my '19 F150 is really sort of a piece of shit given it's Ford's bread and butter. Made it easy to buy my new Jeep JL (which has exceeded my expectations so far) this spring for a weekend lake runner versus a Bronco, although Ford's consistent fumbling with that product was a factor also.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah at least the first TSB is a fix, that second one seems like a band aid at best, and very reliant on the tech doing it 100% correctly / conscientiously AND the product being 100% reliable on a fix of that nature.

I'm not sure how all that can be guaranteed on a difficult to access area, on a car that's had some road time, on a core plug that's got coolant on the back of it (and potentially weeping - based on the nature of the TSB ?) ...
Nailed it.

Anytime I've repaired a leaky core plug, it hasn't involved smearing thread locker on the outside of the plug. It's always a plug removal (and whatever that entails), thorough cleaning of the area, and application of the preferred sealant on the OD of the plug before installation. Talk about a band-aid, hope-for-the-best, 'solution'.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Try this on for size. My special order car was ordered on May 2, 2023. My 2024 GT Premium arrived on Monday the 18th. I go to pick it up and low and behold. There is a spoiler bolted to my spoiler delete trunk lid. There are 4 polished wheels on the car that I DID NOT order, but wait there's more. The interior was ordered Onyx Black with red inserts. What do I get? Gray with red inserts. You can't make this stuff up boys and girls. Yes I did check the vin and they match. I handed the dealer my original order sheet and he said to me there must be some mistake , my response "You made it" So now I have reordered another car But I changed the color to Atlas Blue with the Onyx Black interior. That was on Monday On Tuesday I get an e-mail from Ford saying they are scheduling my new car. STAY TUNED.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I believe the UAW will be the death of US automakers.

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just saying....
Many Quality issues/concerns have been brought to the supervisors attention well before they hit the streets. Unfortunately the only thing Management care's about is the Pay Point where the car rolls off the line and out the door. Workers quality concerns fall on death ears.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Newer equipment.
Need to have better fit and finish as it is a basic car more vehicles in that segment, the Mustang buyer would buy it with as long as it had the v8 rumble and smoked the tires.
And only 2 other 2 door v8 rear drive muscle/pony cars.
The union workers didn't make the tooling stamping out the ill fitting panels.
nor, are the robots welding them in place, Lack of investment of care of equipment is the problem at Flatrock. Everything works off the jig, if it is off, tolerance stack is a bitch.That and Ford knows they don't have to bother. they'll get more orders than they can fill.

You should be in management!! lmao

You must be 300 years old to have learned all of this knowledge. Amazing!