Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Its not likely to be an accident IMO. That's why I am so interested in the reason. Aside from how it effects me, I find the gyrations and machinations of manufacturers fascinating. Maybe some corp lawyer worried about getting sued over the gauge not actually showing the oil temp but rather a guestimate of what the oil temp should be when other sensors have specific values (which is what it was). Should we relabel the gauge "possible oil temp" or just remove it?
Well, truth be told most gauges are like that. The gas gauge is averaged so it doesn't splash all over the place giving erratic readings...and even then, sometimes it is not calibrated for an irregular tank (e.g. stays at "full" for 50 miles, then drops like mad at the bottom). I know for a fact the temp gauge on my older SRT-4 was also averaged because under boost, the actual temp would go up and DCX didn't want owners freaking out about it. I don't like gauges that calculate the values, but again, with the SRT-4 the EGT PID was calculated for cat temp protection enrichment, the torque request tables were estimated and a bunch of other stuff that would be expensive and sometimes almost impossible to measure (turbo impeller RPM for example). This is coming from a guy that would want a wideband o2 sensor for each cylinder...LOL the engine management system would cost as much as the car.

I wish the digital gauges and temp gauge we have were more meaningful. I don't want "low"/"high" I want numbers and I'll decide if it's low or high. Yeah, I know you can go to the numbers page as posted above, but I want needles when I'm driving, not 10-point font.

And your laziness is not just you...ForScan is easy. My X-pipe sitting in the garage...Not as easy (Granted not terrible) but yeah the laziness is contagious :)
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought the 2018+ without the full digital dash still have the oil virtual temperature gauge. It's the full digital dash that the temp gauge is missing ... ??

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not likely to be an accident IMO. That's why I am so interested in the reason. Aside from how it effects me, I find the gyrations and machinations of manufacturers fascinating. Maybe some corp lawyer worried about getting sued over the gauge not actually showing the oil temp but rather a guestimate of what the oil temp should be when other sensors have specific values (which is what it was). Should we relabel the gauge "possible oil temp" or just remove it?
On my 2015, I used an IR temperature reader to measure the temperature of the black metal oil pan, and the IR reader said 199F. The virtual oil temp gauge needle position was at the 200F position (hair to the left center in the green zone), so it was basically right on.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I thought the 2018+ without the full digital dash still have the oil virtual temperature gauge. It's the full digital dash that the temp gauge is missing ... ??
That is right.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
On my 2015, I used an IR temperature reader to measure the temperature of the black metal oil pan, and the IR reader said 199F. The virtual oil temp gauge needle position was at the 200F position (hair to the left center in the green zone), so it was basically right on.
Yes, I'm sure that is true, which is why I want it and leave it displayed in my analog cluster almost constantly.

I was just speculating about WHY Ford might have dropped it. I know companies base decisions on how things may be perceived. Like what happens if competition makes fake gauges part of an ad campaign. I'm not saying I think that's why Ford dropped it but I'll bet the actual reason is as fascinating as that and would like to know it.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
No offense taken. LOL I suppose an oil "gallery" would be the oil aisle at Pep boys :)

[edit] maybe I was right? Eh, tom-eh-to tom-ah-toe. We all know what I meant regardless of how I spelled it. All in good fun my friends, all in good fun.
When I was in auto tech training in the early 80's the teacher called it a galley, but I see it's often referred to a gallery and is in fact the correct term. After all these years!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I'm sure that is true, which is why I want it and leave it displayed in my analog cluster almost constantly.

I was just speculating about WHY Ford might have dropped it. I know companies base decisions on how things may be perceived. Like what happens if competition makes fake gauges part of an ad campaign. I'm not saying I think that's why Ford dropped it but I'll bet the actual reason is as fascinating as that and would like to know it.
If the 2018+ Mustangs with the regular dash still have the oil temperature gauge, then dropping it on the full digital cluster probably wasn't because of Ford wanting to control any misconception or perception.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I was in auto tech training in the early 80's the teacher called it a galley, but I see it's often referred to a gallery and is in fact the correct term. After all these years!
Maybe this was the auto tech teacher's former job ... :idea:
Pirate on a Shop.jpg

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If the 2018+ Mustangs with the regular dash still have the oil temperature gauge, then dropping it on the full digital cluster probably wasn't because of Ford wanting to control any misconception or perception.
I'm thinking they lost the source code for the analog cluster. Not really but as I said, I don't think it was to avoid some misconception, just that things like that do occur. But I've been involved with too may systems to believe it disappeared from the digital cluster mid year by accident. There is some reason and since I can't think of a likely good reason I am curious.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Maybe this was the auto tech teacher's former job ... :idea:
Pirate on a Shop.jpg
"I am the Captain of the Pinafore...!"

Sorry, that's more of a "I am a Pirate King! And it is, it is a glorious thing to be a Pirate King!" moment.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
BBQ ticking might possibly be due to excessive rod side clearance.

I'd say that th
BBQ ticking might possibly be due to excessive rod side clearance.

To me this seems to be what BlueCollar is dealing with. I think you nailed it. Especially since this would most likely be an intermittent tick which BlueCollar's is. Then the question is, does this amount of play lead to premature bearing failure?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me this seems to be what BlueCollar is dealing with. I think you nailed it. Especially since this would most likely be an intermittent tick which BlueCollar's is. Then the question is, does this amount of play lead to premature bearing failure?
Supposedly, guys with Coyotes in F-150s that have the BBQ tick have tons of miles on them with no real signs of engine damage. If the BBQ tick is indeed caused by excessive rod side clearance, I don't think it would make the bearings fail early ... it just makes noises, and also doesn't produce any metal debris of any kind in the oil. The only sign of it would be the ticking.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Supposedly, guys with Coyotes in F-150s that have the BBQ tick have tons of miles on them with no real signs of engine damage. If the BBQ tick is indeed caused by excessive rod side clearance, I don't think it would make the bearings fail early ... it just makes noises, and also doesn't produce any metal debris of any kind in the oil. The only sign of it would be the ticking.
Makes sense since the rod bearing clearance is probably fine and no oiling issues. Just a little guy tapping away in there!

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
The tick sound sure does sound like the video but why would the tick start right after an oil change for so many? The side clearance would not all of a sudden become larger?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
The tick sound sure does sound like the video but why would the tick start right after an oil change for so many? The side clearance would not all of a sudden become larger?
That’s a good assumption.
Why is the “tick” associated with clearance?
Do you know something we don’t?
I think the 2k ish rattle is the concern
Sponsored