Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Late to the party and I don't know if this has been posted yet (too lazy to look at 23 pages of replies), but this ford mechanic may have found the root cause of the tick....

Excessive rod side clearance has been one theory for quite some time now, and IMO it seems to be the most likely cause. Talking BBQ tick (typewriter tick) only. The 2K RPM rattle seems to be a sepatate noise source IMO.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-test-request.117273/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/per-ford-officially-the-2011-2019-f150-mustang-5-0-“typewriter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/page-12#post-2468633
Sponsored

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, if you turn out to be right, then Ford isn't lying when they say it isn't going to be harmful. Slight bumping of the hardened steel big ends really isn't going to be an issue, unless it impacts the crank shoulder so hard, you start getting visible wear. Especially if you have floating rods and pins, etc.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, if you turn out to be right, the Ford isn't lying when they say it isn't going to be harmful. Slightly bumping of the hardened steel big ends really isn't going to be an issue. Especially if you have floating rods and pins, etc.
Yep, and that's one of many factors that add up to it being excessive rod side clearance.

Only wrinkle is if the rod side clearance is technically out of factory specs, then is Ford responsible to correct that instead of calling it "normal"? And if so, maybe why Ford never says what the cause is in any documentation (ie, the newly released SSM 7718).

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've put together many engines over the years including my stroker motor in my '05. Especially the older pushrod engines have side rod clearance like seen in that short video. No noises in those motors. I believe it's mainly inconsistencies in piston to cylinder wall on some engines. That's not to say every case is because of that, but I believe most are.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There is one other "theory" I discussed with a mechanic concerning the idea of rod side clearance and oil cavitation. It may not be the big ends "impacting" each other causing the noise.

Instead, it may be an oil issue as it leaves the journal bearing and gets pushed out the sides of the big ends. The idea being that when the crank is in a specific position, and a pulse of oil discharges out of the side, the rapid depressurization of oil from the bearing then exiting the big end may cause some "flashing" of the oil into a vapor. This flashing may make a pop or ticking sound. Kind of like cavitation, but not exactly since cavitation usually occurs inside a pump. However, the rapid change in pressure causing bubbles to form and flash into vapor is the same principle. This sudden flashing of oil into a vapor at a specific spot can also be somewhat random, yet does follow the rpm of the engine as the crank rotates and the big ends also move side to side to create a very specific amount of gap facilitating this phenomenon. Once that vapor hits the atmosphere and cools, it condenses instantly and falls into the oil pan. Some vapor may also get sucked into your catch can if you have one.
The idea kind of falls in line with what Ford was saying about the Powestroke TSB when it speaks of the relationship between the oil, the journals and the big ends. It's an interesting idea, and certainly falls into the category of also not being harmful. I can't see how there's a way to know for sure, unless you bore a hole in the oil pan and install a high speed camera to watch the big ends while the engine runs.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's oil cavitation in the journal bearings - but yes @Condor1970 it's possible that it may have some factor and the combination makes the perfect storm. We do know Ceratec almost instantly makes the BBQ tick go away in most cases - same thing with the now unavailable Motorcraft XL-17 oil additive that Ford use to recommend for the ticking. Both of those are anti-friction additives, so it seems the change in the friction level of interacting parts is a big factor associated with the ticking. Some guys report only adding a half bottle of Ceratec (which is only 150 ml) stops the ticking. That's not nearly enough added into 8 to 10 qts of oil to change the hot oil viscosity any more than someone going with a 5W-30 or 5W-40 motor oil. In fact, if you research oil cavitation in journal bearings, it says that cavitation is even more likely to happen as the oil viscosity increases. But some guys have reported the ticking to be much less or basically gone with certain higher viscosity motor oils. I think just running an oil with a good dose of Moly might also give noticeable results since Moly is an anti-friction additive.

If the friction level in the journal bearings, and between the sides of the rods and the shoulders of the crank journals is high enough, it could trigger the rods to "dance" back and forth on the journals. These rods free float quite well as can be seen in the videos of someone sliding them back and forth - it takes near zero force to make them slide back and forth on the journal. Reduce the friction level in the big ends and it's possible the forces that sets them off to move around goes away, and the ticking goes away.

There was also a member here who ran Ceratec for many thousands of miles, then did a regular oil change without adding any Ceratec. Ceratec advertises that once the engine is treated the anti-friction treatment lasts up to 50K kilometers (31K miles). After his oil change without any more added Ceratec the ticking was still gone. So that seems to point again to the friction level of the parts being associated with the ticking, not any kind of oil cavitation going on.

As time goes on it seems there are more reports of rod side clearance measurements being found to be out of spec. Member @Superchomper2003 is having a short block replaced because of ticking, and the Tech working on his engine found some pretty excessive rod side clearances.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-test-request.117273/#post-2464956

I asked if he could get the shop to also measure the rod side clearances on the new short block. If they can, and they find clearances (including the crankshaft end play - another suspect) are all within specs, and his engine never ticks again then that would be an interesting data point.

Condor1970 - yes, a window in the oil pan with high speed video on the rod ends would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I’ve gotta call bullshit on this video. I’m sure they make great engines - there is no question about that.

- the comment regarding plasma lined cylinders being inferior to the GT350s due to not having the expertise or some inferior process. These are done via computer robotics. It is not like some low level employee did a poorer job. Total BS
- if you have ever built a race motor the specs are always off hence the need for balance and blue printing. He is marketing at this point.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Just found this video. Holy crap. This isn't your run of the mill BBQ tick. This one sounds like metal to metal contact. Probably rod knock. Even the tech can't believe Ford says it's normal.
That's not not even close to normal engine noises. That's the problem now with the new SSM 7718 about the "typewriter tick" (aka BBQ tick) ... dealers are going to say any noise (tick, rattle, bang, thump, etc) they now hear is "normal". I hope to hell the Techs at the Ford dealers are smart enough to know the difference between the typewriter tick and an engine ready to throw a rod out the oil pan, like this one sounds like it's ready to do.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That's not not even close to normal engine noises. That's the problem now with the new SSM 7718 about the "typewriter tick" (aka BBQ tick) ... dealers are going to say any noise (tick, rattle, bang, thump, etc) they now hear is "normal". I hope to hell the Techs at the Ford dealers are smart enough to know the difference between the typewriter tick and an engine ready to throw a rod out the oil pan, like this one sounds like it's ready to do.
Watched that video a couple times. First, is that really a tech? Was it his day off? Was that at a Ford dealer? Also, there is no way to actually hear what they are saying or who is saying what. Also, The tick sounded really loud like it was being amplified somehow especially when you could hardly hear anyone talking, even the guy in the car. For me this is a fail for trying to boost a non-issue.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Is there a blower on that car?
Sponsored