Sponsored

The true reason unveild behind Gen3 coyote tick. According to MPR racing engines

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The tick sound sure does sound like the video but why would the tick start right after an oil change for so many? The side clearance would not all of a sudden become larger?
My theory is with an oil change the new oil strips off the anti-wear layer the oil had deposited on the parts, and takes away some of the "cushioning" between the parts. That subject matter has been discussed on bobistheoilguy quite a bit.

When an additive like Ceratec is used, it must put a cushioning anti-wear layer on the parts very quickly, and that makes the ticking go away. Same with the old XL-17 carbon powder additive Ford use to sell and use to fix the BBQ ticking.

Many similar threads like this one:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3254390/all/Fresh_Oil_=_Stripped_AW_???

Ceratec or similar additives won't fix the 2000 RPM rattle ... that's a real clearance issue that has detrimental effects on the engine IMO.
Sponsored

gj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I wonder why Australian cars don't seem to have this issue, don't know about the 18 and 19's but the 15 to 17's here use 5w-30 not 5w-20

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not to discredit any of the outstanding aftermarket companies, but I doubt they have the necessary equipment to pull it off. You would need an anechoic chamber, dyno, tons of microphones, oscilloscopes measuring every sensor conceivable by man, and probably a staff of a dozen engineers. I don't think at idle even with a clear oil pan and a fast frame rate camera one would be able to visually find the problem. More than likely the problem is ten thousands of an inch, only in a dynamic state. Perhaps only after the block/rod/piston/etc "grows" when it hits a certain temp.

If this problem is as bad as we think it is (we meaning people on this forum) then Ford has got to know something's up and they probably have already done the above. If I were to guess, it is a fundamental problem - something like the block growing/twisting too much with the other parts (The "compromise" I was talking about earlier). If it is a complex design issue, the "fix" would have to be re-engineered, tested, then the associated tooling changes need to be made, and the existing inventory be cleared out - this sequence of events could conceivably take more than a year. If it were a manufacturing problem, the tooling could be changed more quickly, or QA could be adjusted to select a narrower range of parts.
Then I guess anyone without an engineering degree shouldn't be building engines. My posting was not to discredit anyone in particular, but as he is mentioned in the title of this post. I think before anyone can attest to what the Real reason is they had better prove it with a Solution. I guess posting in a thread like this is just as Assinine as the continued posting of threads like this with nothing more than conjecture being stated. All a thread like this does is scare away potential buyers. There is no factual data on how many engines are affected nor if this tick isn't normal. But I'll take one guess here, I'll bet everyone that has encountered this has changed their oil Way sooner then the the recommended interval that either Ford recommends or the idiot gauge tells you.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Then I guess anyone without an engineering degree shouldn't be building engines. My posting was not to discredit anyone in particular, but as he is mentioned in the title of this post. I think before anyone can attest to what the Real reason is they had better prove it with a Solution. I guess posting in a thread like this is just as Assinine as the continued posting of threads like this with nothing more than conjecture being stated. All a thread like this does is scare away potential buyers. There is no factual data on how many engines are affected nor if this tick isn't normal. But I'll take one guess here, I'll bet everyone that has encountered this has changed their oil Way sooner then the the recommended interval that either Ford recommends or the idiot gauge tells you.
So... you are saying that changing oil is bad lol. Have to disagree with you. Just as a point of information, my tick started on the factory oil.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So... you are saying that changing oil is bad lol. Have to disagree with you. Just as a point of information, my tick started on the factory oil.
Then please prove to me that its beneficial.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At what mileage? And was the tick still there after the oil change, or did it go away?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Then please prove to me that its beneficial.
You made the initial statement, so it is first on you to provide evidence that 1# they did change early and 2# it was due to that.

The fact there are already a few posts of ticking starting at under 1000 miles so you are already facing a loosing argument.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Why don't you search how many people changed their oil prior to 1k miles. this post is so far 16 pages of manure and so is every other post on this forum regarding this topic.

Maybe 1 post should be started like a poll with all the variables a person has done to try to see if there are any consistencies exist between those that are affected.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
At what mileage? And was the tick still there after the oil change, or did it go away?
I had around 1200 miles on the car. I switched over to MC 5w30 with a bottle of Ceratec. No more tick for now.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm goona go jump in my '19 pick up a pack of smokes put back on my ear to ear grin and love my car till the cigs kill me!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had around 1200 miles on the car. I switched over to MC 5w30 with a bottle of Ceratec. No more tick for now.
Did you run the engine awhile before adding the Ceratec to see if it ticked without the additive?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Why don't you search how many people changed their oil prior to 1k miles. this post is so far 16 pages of manure and so is every other post on this forum regarding this topic.

Maybe 1 post should be started like a poll with all the variables a person has done to try to see if there are any consistencies exist between those that are affected.
Well since you're asking... my old engine had its oil changed 3x in under 1000 miles. Once on my own and twice by the dealer. All using 5w20. It never developed the bbq tick in that time frame. The engine sounded like shit, but no bbq tick.

New long block got the bbq tick in under 100 miles, but I can count on one hand how many ticks total it's had since. I put in 5w30 penz plat right away but there's enough people on here with the tick using motorcraft 5w20 to say 5w30 was any cause.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Arrrrrr mayte! That's yer oil galley!
It's a common thing, in fact some of the best machine shops and engine builders I've dealt with call it a galley. That's just the way it is and I'd say it's just a common misconception that's been accepted and I find it a bit strange since even old school respected techs and engine builders seem to use the same term. It's really not important, but it is strange. To me a gallery is where you look at art or go to shoot. I don't even understand how it got to this dual nomenclature.

https://www.partsgeek.com/tj3lfd1-c...+dorman+engine+oil+galley+plug&ad=11620898036

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...774/engine-oil-galley-plug-13455/fa8d27fa1bbf

https://www.amazon.com/Oil-galley-plug/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:Oil galley plug

https://www.jegs.com/pt/Oil+Galley+Plug

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me a gallery is where you look at art or go to shoot. I don't even understand how it got to this dual nomenclature.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gallery

No, That's Not a Kitchen in Your Engine
https://mitchell1.com/shopconnection/no-thats-not-a-kitchen-in-your-engine

A gallery is "a long and narrow passage, apartment, or corridor" or "a room or building devoted to the exhibition of works of art".

It's an oil "gallery" because the passage the oil goes through is a "long narrow passage". An "art gallery" is such because those are usually art that is displayed along long narrow hallways.

Engine builders, etc that call oil galleries "oil galleys" are just parroting what someone else said when using the wrong word in the English language - pretty soon it's thought to be the right word when it's really not. Lots of that going on.
Sponsored