Sponsored

The Lockout struggle is real

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Ok..After some nice weather lately . I’m finally able to drive my new to me 15’ Gt and spirited shifts into 3/4 are hard and sometimes won’t even go till I let off some.

Changed the fluid recently with motul multi dctf

What should I do next/first to help this as much as I can? Shifter? Bushing?

77k mile mt82

thanks
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Good luck. About 3% Pre-2017 MT-82's will give you lock out issues no matter what. Anything over 6000rpm is a crap shoot trying to go from 2nd to 3rd, and sometimes 3rd-4th. I tried EVERYTHING in my 13' Boss 302.. It was terrible. I've driven a few 18+ MT-82's however, and they are way improved.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Back in the day, I had this issue with a turbo honda Civic hatch. I replaced the shift linkage with one from an Integra GSR and the problem went away. Not sure if that is something you can look in to but like @NGOT8R said you may want to start swapping components within your line of shifting. Clutch, Bushings, Lineage and then, if it persists, drop the transmission and see what's what.

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Adding a mgw direct mount shifter almost completely eliminated my lock out issues. I'm on a stock clutch and it has only locked me out of 3rd a couple of times

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Whiteline bushing insert first. $36 bucks or so on amazon, fixed it for me. Cheap to try, made shifting better for all the gears except 6th, but who the hell is going to power shift 6th?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Adding a mgw direct mount shifter almost completely eliminated my lock out issues. I'm on a stock clutch and it has only locked me out of 3rd a couple of times
How’s that stock clutch holding the power from the Procharger? I’ve read so much stuff on clutches and transmissions lately and I forget who has done what? Didn’t you have a Mantic or RXT clutch at one point? If so, I was wondering why going back to stock over two superior clutche? My apologies if I’m mistaken.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I had very occasional lock out when stock and going into 3rd. If I was up at 7500rpm and tried to shift too quickly it would happen. Smooth and slow shifts were fine though. Since changing the clutch to an lpx-hd I have no issues with lock out. Even shifting at 8k banging gears.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had very occasional lock out when stock and going into 3rd. If I was up at 7500rpm and tried to shift too quickly it would happen. Smooth and slow shifts were fine though. Since changing the clutch to an lpx-hd I have no issues with lock out. Even shifting at 8k banging gears.
What power level are you at with the LHPXD clutch?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What power level are you at with the LHPXD clutch?
Haven't dyno'd but I'm guessing around 650 currently. 8lbs on a hellion kit. Hopefully upping the boost at the end of this summer.

OP
OP
Mustangfreek

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Thanks guys

first thought I’d, so many answers to “help” this problem

it’s pretty annoying, anything above 5/5.5k and it will not go in , unless I slow it down or let the rpm’s drop some

clutch iany on my list ..Yet..feels good and stock in assuming. But for now not pulling it apart.

it’s sorta noisy thru 2nd/3rd also…very slight grumble to it

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had hi rpm 3rd gear lock out so I added the Blowfish shifter support bracket. World of difference! Also added a weighted shift knob. Feels like a completely different transmission now. It's a shame you have to spend money for the transmission to get it to feel normal.

OP
OP
Mustangfreek

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Ok.thinking about just upgrading the shifter

looking at the Barton and mgw

Now to decide which one and Which height and thread size. just got a steeda ball I’d like to re use.

So who’s got the deals?
Sponsored