The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks Tom. The Forbes article is particularly troubling. Collecting locations and driving habits is one thing, but certain agencies are potentially getting access to passwords? It’s all overreach (unless they have a warrant to show they need it) but the ability to go in and get passwords to anything/everything is absolutely ridiculous.

I am going to request a Lexis Nexis for myself, curious what it shows. I had access at my previous company for Know Your Customer background check purposes (required before lending money), if there’s anything out there about you (home addresses, vehicle registrations, traffic tickets, lawsuits, arrests, liens, etc.) they have it. My insurance rates are pretty low so I suspect it’s fairly clean but worth checking.

For those unfamiliar with Lexis Nexis reports, they show at least a portion of your SSN (certain sections show the full SSN if I recall) so just be sure you’re on a computer or device you trust when requesting it.
Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I just got my Lexis Nexis report, as this article did concern me, and mine was 18 pages with nothing about driving habits, just places I lived and cars I own, Car insurance details and the inquiries from Credit Card companies. The SS is shown on top of the report because before requesting you have to enter your SS on the website for identity verification, and the other location (Pg 3) is Verisk Marketing and/or your Car insurance company providing that info.

But looking at my report there is 0 with regards to driving, as it should be.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
But looking at my report there is 0 with regards to driving, as it should be.
Mike: Your post made my morning, thanks! Undoubtedly, I am not the only one here who was most happy to learn that there are no "driving habit" entries in the NexisLexis log.

Even so, being a dedicated skeptic, my brain tells me there's something more to the story. That is, are the insurance companies getting our driving habit data via another "report" from NexisLexis under the table?

I'm asking this question because, the terms "driving habits" and "sending to insurance companies" have been mentioned in every article I've read online. So my question is, why would these things even BE mentioned if they weren't part of the data sent?

Anyway, I sure hope that the data is not going to the insurance companies but, it would be very nice to have confirmation. Hell, I probably won't believe it no matter who makes the claim. <BSEG>

Bottom line for me is, Sarah no longer talks to Mother Ford, thank you very much Tom! (@Tomster)

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mike: Your post made my morning, thanks! Undoubtedly, I am not the only one here who was most happy to learn that there are no "driving habit" entries in the NexisLexis log.

Even so, being a dedicated skeptic, my brain tells me there's something more to the story. That is, are the insurance companies getting our driving habit data via another "report" from NexisLexis under the table?

I'm asking this question because, the terms "driving habits" and "sending to insurance companies" have been mentioned in every article I've read online. So my question is, why would these things even BE mentioned if they weren't part of the data sent?

Anyway, I sure hope that the data is not going to the insurance companies but, it would be very nice to have confirmation. Hell, I probably won't believe it no matter who makes the claim. <BSEG>

Bottom line for me is, Sarah no longer talks to Mother Ford, thank you very much Tom! (@Tomster)
I'm glad I made your morning. I was curious not because anything changed in my insurance, but I did at one point have a Chevy C6 vette (because Chevy WAS sending info to LexisNexis) and also have a Grand Cherokee jeep which I used their software for 2 years on my phone, so I wanted to know what was one there, so I went online and put in for a request and got a letter back and directed to download the info which I did and carefully looked at it, bupkis.

If I were you I would go to their site and request a report and see whats on yours, its always good to know ahead of time then to find out after.

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/consumer

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
Relevant podcast on manufacturers selling to insurance companies.

" Your Honda, Acura, Hyundai or Kia is selling driving data to insurance companies as an excuse to hurt enthusiasts. And that is disgusting."

It should be noted that just because a manufacturer didn't sell your data to an insurance company, that doesn't mean the broker they sold to won't :)

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm...sold-driving-data-to-insurance-companies.html

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to point this out just as an FYI for the current moment, I recently got a new APIM on my Shelby, and had to set things up again, so I went looking at the ford pass under settings and under connectivity setting this is what I saw, This is either disabled or off, either way I didn't touch it nor had any itching interest, but it is off/disabled by default, so be aware.

2024-05-24 14.33.42.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
If I were you I would go to their site and request a report and see whats on yours
I took your suggestion Mike and requested the info, thanks, I'll letcha know.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wanted to point this out just as an FYI for the current moment, I recently got a new APIM on my Shelby, and had to set things up again, so I went looking at the ford pass under settings and under connectivity setting this is what I saw, This is either disabled or off, either way I didn't touch it nor had any itching interest, but it is off/disabled by default, so be aware.

2024-05-24 14.33.42.jpg
Thats the way it should be IMHO. You should have to consciously opt in, eyes wide open, to be enrolled in such a program.

Does anyone else feel that opting into such a thing with a high-performance vehicle is a good idea? Remember that last "spirited drive" you took? I don't want that kind information stored on me....

I recall that when I bought my last Ford Escape, I specifically said over and over that I do not want to be enrolled in Ford Pass. They made a big deal over it. My friend, who was the salesman, said that the reason why management wanted the enrollment completed is because they get a fee for doing so.

I get it, its business. But again, the reason for this concern is that many have no idea that this is going on behind the scenes.

Like anything else, if you are aware of it, and consent, and you are a responsible adult, have at it. There should not be a surprise when you find out that your data is being collected for who knows what......

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Can we just agree that thinking is becoming an ability that is being lost through disuse? With all of the things that we purchase that require us to “agree” to a use statement, that of course none of us read, how can we not understand that we “agree” to be watched by every appliance that we buy? It is not just our cars, it is the TV, refrigerator, microwave, roomba, the cell phone in your hand, and almost every app that is on it.

It has all been sold to us as a convenience. In some cases it might be. But, when one realizes that we live in a society today where DATA is king, then you begin to understand that there is not one single moment where there is not some shit ball thinking how he/she/it can monetize it somehow. Yes, right down to how long you spend sitting on the throne (most likely with your phone in your hand) and how they can turn a buck on that.

If you don’t mind, fine. If you do, then do whatever you can to disconnect yourself from the matrix. As for me? I’ll take my attorney’s advice and “Always say no. Make ‘em work for it.”

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I don't want that kind information stored on me....
There should not be a surprise when you find out that your data is being collected for who knows what......
A BIG "AMEN" on both, Tom.

It is not just our cars, it is the TV, refrigerator, microwave, roomba, the cell phone in your hand, and almost every app that is on it.
Yes indeed, it is already out of control, Paul. Data mining = money, plain and simple. Same holds true for every text or email you receive that asks for your experience, to fill out a "short survey, or any number of other scams to get either your email address or, your mobile number.

Of course they want this type of "mining" to seem innocuous and harmless and unfortunately, many online surfers don't see the privacy risks. Personally, I no longer respond to any of these attempts.

“Always say no. Make ‘em work for it.”
LOVE IT! ;=)

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Personally, I no longer respond to any of these attempts.
Just be careful with a non-response KB. Sometimes a non response = Yes. They’ll make that font super small if they have any kind of disclaimer that not responding automatically opts you in.

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I wonder if marketing data is the next dot com bubble? With the exponential increase in collection there has to come a point where it just no longer makes a meaningful increase in profit for the amount spent on collection and processing. I understand that most of it is relatively cheap to collect alongside other existing services but there is still an expense and a cost to process and analyze the data. Especially as you fight for attention in an already saturated market to consumers growing more weary with constant stimulation.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
So no means yes? Doesn't work on the wife so it shouldn't work with data either!
LOL. Fat fingered that one. Should be non-response instead of no response 🤦‍♂️🤣

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I wonder if marketing data is the next dot com bubble? With the exponential increase in collection there has to come a point where it just no longer makes a meaningful increase in profit for the amount spent on collection and processing. I understand that most of it is relatively cheap to collect alongside other existing services but there is still an expense and a cost to process and analyze the data. Especially as you fight for attention in an already saturated market to consumers growing more weary with constant stimulation.
I think there’s some truth in that. Over saturation is definitely a thing. How long it takes to get to that point is anyone’s best guess.

Cost to analyze data isn’t cheap. At a previous company, we had a large data analysis team. And they all have numerous degrees so I’m sure they’re well compensated. So from that standpoint, yeah not cheap. Now, do they more than pay for that cost when they go to sell the clean, synthesized data? 100% they do. For how long, again anyone’s best guess
Sponsored