Sponsored

The OEM+ Daily Driver in Orange Fury

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
2018 GT manual stripper in Orange Fury with 22k miles. Zero options other than the paint

The goal is small improvements to rigidity, overall handling, shift feel, and appearance. I'm simply looking to have some fun with this one, nothing too serious.

To do list:

1. Steeda braces and IRS components plus a smattering of Ford stuff. (mostly in-hand)
2. Steeda triax race short throw shifter (received and on deck for installation).
3. Apex SM10 19x10 et40 square in Anthracite (received).
4. Falken Azenis FK460 in 275/40 (received)
5. Suspension (still researching and pondering).
6. Stripe Removal (completed).
7. Recaro Sportster CS with Airbags.
8. GT350 Track Pack Spoiler
9. Carbon Fiber license plate recess insert
10. Carbon Fiber hood heat extractors
11. Upgraded Rear Diffuser
12. Corsa Sport Touring axle back exhaust
13. Dynavin D8 Head Unit

IMG_4691.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4710.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a chance to get her up on my quick jacks today and have a look at the underside. I'm pleased, car is relatively clean and no leaks jumped out at me.

Up first is an oil change. Out with this garbage (filter could be fine, but I don't know where it came from) and in with Motorcraft. I bought this from a Ford dealership, said they changed the oil.... ummm yeah. Even though it is a 2018 I went with 10 quarts of 5w30 since they changed the spec in 2021.

IMG_4712.JPG

I was able to get the Steeda S550 Mustang Extreme G-Trac K-Member Brace installed as well. A few notes on this one.

1. In the CJ Pony Parts install video the mustang they have has threaded nuts for the hex key bolts to screw into. Mine didn't as Ford quit installing them. So Steeda provided bushings to sit on top of the k-brace sleeves. Do what I did and attach the bushing to the k-brace sleeve with some electrical tape. Simplifies things greatly because it is near impossible to hold them on while bending in place and trying to get into the hole.
  2. My holes didn't line up as well as the CJ Pony Parts video mustang. I had to install the drivers front and rear first (don't tighten) and then install front right mount by using a screw driver to pry into the correct position. Then install the rear right mount last. This last mount went in no problem.
IMG_4711.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back on the quick jacks today to install the Steeda Rear IRS Subframe Support Braces via this video from Bill. Everything went as advertised except one detail that is left out. One bolt on each side requires a serrated nut on top. You can't apply final torque without using an offset 18mm wrench from the top to hold that serrated nut still, otherwise the nut just spins. The problem? Very tough to get the wrench into position and onto the nut. I did it but can cause some frustration. See the picture below.

IMG_4714.JPG

IMG_4715.JPG

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Funny you mention those nuts. I was able to tighten one without a wrench and I needed a wrench for the other (driver side for some reason). Was quite odd and as you said, a real pain in the ass to get a wrench in there. I have some shorter ratcheting wrenches that did the trick, I got the nut snug then was able to finish torquing without the wrench.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Same here, one side went in fine, another one needed a wrench.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you mention those nuts. I was able to tighten one without a wrench and I needed a wrench for the other (driver side for some reason). Was quite odd and as you said, a real pain in the ass to get a wrench in there. I have some shorter ratcheting wrenches that did the trick, I got the nut snug then was able to finish torquing without the wrench.
Same here, one side went in fine, another one needed a wrench.
Good to know it wasn't just me. I initially backed off the nuts and cleaned the area as best as I could since I could feel debris laying in there. Didn't help, both nuts would spin once a certain torque was reached. The Steeda video doesn't point this out either, perhaps they were lucky.

OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the tires mounted then came home and installed them on the car. What a difference.
19x10 Apex SM-10 et40 square. 275/40 Falken Azenis FK460 A/S. I was waiting to see how these fill the wheel well before I made any suspension decisions. I'll report back on how these do. I've always run Michelins but the price point on them has gotten a little ridiculous. These are all seasons as this is my daily and it does get reasonably cold where I'm at but there isn't much in the way of snow (anymore).

IMG_4718.JPG

Also received my APR Performance License Plate Backing Frame. Really nice piece and excellent fitment. I was afraid it would look goofy but I like it.

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG

OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing major or new to this forum but its a game changer with respect to appearance. I really like this Ford Performance spoiler so on one goes....

I originally wanted the Roush until I realized there were four bolts holding the original blade spoiler on.

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
5. Suspension (still researching and pondering).
11. Upgraded Rear Diffuser
12. Corsa Sport Touring axle back exhaust
Bilstein
unless you're getting the real, engineered one ($500?) it's just cheap plastic ornament.

you already have AE, no? Just put in a Steeda H-pipe.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Got the tires mounted then came home and installed them on the car. What a difference.
19x10 Apex SM-10 et40 square. 275/40 Falken Azenis FK460 A/S. I was waiting to see how these fill the wheel well before I made any suspension decisions. I'll report back on how these do. I've always run Michelins but the price point on them has gotten a little ridiculous. These are all seasons as this is my daily and it does get reasonably cold where I'm at but there isn't much in the way of snow (anymore).

IMG_4718.JPG

Also received my APR Performance License Plate Backing Frame. Really nice piece and excellent fitment. I was afraid it would look goofy but I like it.

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4720.JPG
Wheels look great on the orange fury! My dad has something similar on his orange fury. SVE PP2 wheels

IMG_9872.JPG

IMG_9851.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wheels look great on the orange fury! My dad has something similar on his orange fury. SVE PP2 wheels
Really sharp on your dad's part. It' funny that I've been going back and forth on what color side stripe. I may have to steal your dad's look :)

OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bilstein
unless you're getting the real, engineered one ($500?) it's just cheap plastic ornament.

you already have AE, no? Just put in a Steeda H-pipe.
I've been reading the forum like crazy and it would definitely seem that the Bilstein B6s are the go to damper. If I'm not mistaken most are saying to go with BMR 763 springs, that sound correct? I do want minimal drop so that would be perfect. Also looks like I should pair with the J&M Rear Shock Mounts to provide more travel plus some Eibach bump stops.

Agreed on the diffuser. I think I've settled on the little piece that sits at the bottom of it by Drake.

Stripper, no options other than Orange Fury paint, so no AE. Still think the Steeda H-pipe is the way to go? I'm definitely not wanting to introduce any drone.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm not mistaken most are saying to go with BMR 763 springs, that sound correct?
Don't bother. Unless you're desperate for drop, just stay with stock if you're not going to usefully change spring rate. If you want modest drop, Steeda min drop at 200lb/in. If you want handling, bmr sp084. Confirm drop. If it's over 1/2" consider adding a preload spacer.

I have the borla street with h pipe. No drone. Stock pipe with H will be very nice. Not to mention a cheap entry point. If you get the other system I strongly suspect you'll yank the resonator in short order. If it's too much, it's easy to put in the kit resonator.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Cool thread. Looks like a good time. I like the idea of taking a no option GT and working it out like that. Following 👀👍🐎🇺🇲

OP
OP

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Time for the top side cowl and strut tower braces. I was able to source used parts for the cowl mounting plate and cowl brace which is great.

I ordered new nylon nuts for the strut tower (W712334-S440) and the three bolts for the cowl mounting plate (W717964-S450B).

I decided to remove the battery tray and cowl trim so that everything could receive a moderate detailing. It is only one bolt to remove the battery, three bolts to remove the battery box, and then lift the cowl trim straight up to the ceiling and out as it attached via a tongue and groove.

IMG_4736.JPG

Cowl mounting plate.
IMG_4745.JPG

The cowl trim soaking in 303 Protectant to bring everything back to jet black and provide UV protection.

IMG_4741.JPG

Nice and new jet black trim.

IMG_4747.JPG

All zipped back up and ready for back country roads.

IMG_4746.JPG
Sponsored