Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I think all this data being collected is just waiting for AI to mature and process. It won’t stop. Eventually, this AI will be able to predict the market with high accuracy. Imagine the fortune to be made.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Cost to analyze data isn’t cheap
It's all going to AI. After the AI filters everything a small team can do the rest. So yes, very cheap

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It's all going to AI. After the AI filters everything a small team can do the rest. So yes, very cheap
Depends what kind of company you’re talking about. I can tell you from first hand experience that insurance companies are extremely slow in adopting new technology. Advertising companies, tech companies? Yes, processing data will be very cheap for them. Insurance companies and similar companies (think large financial/investment institutions) will be a while before they adopt that technology.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT/CS
I wanted to point this out just as an FYI for the current moment, I recently got a new APIM on my Shelby, and had to set things up again, so I went looking at the ford pass under settings and under connectivity setting this is what I saw, This is either disabled or off, either way I didn't touch it nor had any itching interest, but it is off/disabled by default, so be aware.

2024-05-24 14.33.42.jpg
I'd turn all of these options off AND disconnect the modem. Why would they even list insurance-related data as an option? Our freedom is being taken from us, folks, a little at a time, baited by lies about useful benefits by opting in. Mark my words, the end game is non-ownership; rather subscriptions/ leases for everything. What is the single most important difference between the two major global ideologies? Frogs in a cooking pot.......

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Our freedom is being taken from us, folks, a little at a time, baited by lies about useful benefits by opting in.
Throw away your phone and computer that you’re typing on too then because it’s tracking way more of what you’re doing than your car is. And don’t ever use a credit card or debit card again either, because that data is also tracked. If you’re going to go down the rabbit hole, go all the way down.

Sorry, I’m just not buying the whole sky is falling conspiracy narrative. Yes, privacy concerns are very real, I’m not questioning that at all. To say it’s part of some global conspiracy to take ownership of everything away from everyone? Come on. There’s a simple solution to ending the subscription BS that car companies are pulling. Don’t buy it. The second it no longer generates income for these companies, it goes away and they move on to something else. We survived how many years without heated seats, heated steering wheels, etc.? Is it nice? Absolutely. Is it worth a monthly subscription? Not to me. Call it what it really is, a money making scheme for all of these companies . Not a freedom revoking conspiracy 🤦‍♂️

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Insurance companies and similar companies (think large financial/investment institutions) will be a while before they adopt that technology.
I don't think so. The tech generation is now starting to fill upper management and CEO positions.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't think so. The tech generation is now starting to fill upper management and CEO positions.
I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. I left a large, public insurance company 18 months ago (was there for about 18 years) and they were incredibly slow to adopt any new or semi-new technology, including something as simple as Microsoft Office products. And the executives are fairly young as far as large, public financial institutions go (early/mid 50’s). Currently work for a large, multinational investment management company that operates in a similar fashion. They just move at a glacial pace and are often times afraid of their own shadow. I have friends at the large, money center banks. Same thing there. It’s like turning the Titanic, there are so many layers things have to go through. Think Ford v Ferrari and specifically the scenes where Shelby is sitting in Ford’s waiting room watching the firing papers change hands a million times and then in Ford’s office with the team of executives hanging around Mr. Ford and the way Leo Beebe inserts himself in between Ford and Shelby as head of operations for LeMans and the race team. That is exactly the way these large institutions function

I can only speak to my personal experiences though. Are other, maybe more small and midsize firms moving faster? Most likely. But those companies are also in the acquisition crosshairs of larger private equity firms and other industry-similar firms. And those companies are quick to “synergize”, the leaders of the smaller firms usually get a nice financial package and are sent packing shortly after acquisition (along with numerous other employees). So those smaller more nimble and tech savvy companies are now part of the larger company and a lot of that stuff gets shelved. Been through it on both sides (acquisition and disposition) quite a few times over the years.

Eventually that cycle will break and the younger generation will be the ones calling the shots. But that’s still a ways out for a lot of these large, Fortune 100-type insurance and financial institutions IMO. Unless the shareholders start pounding the tables for it, which hasn’t happened yet. And then watch the government get involved when the “too big to fail” institutions start adopting AI at a meaningful level. Just my opinion based on what I’ve seen in my career.

With the tech companies and other like minded industries, absolutely AI will take hold sooner though.

Sorry for the long dissertation on a Sunday evening

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
To go back on topic, I’ll give another example (and apologies if it’s been mentioned already). Those safe driving programs that insurance companies offer, I’d advise not to enroll. Used to be a dongle you would plug in, now it’s an app. They dangle a nice policy discount in exchange for your driving habits. The first year of enrollment is usually the biggest discount and then they slowly erode that discount after year 1. And to offset that discount, they absolutely sell your driving data and probably location data as well. So, buyer beware on those programs too, not just FordPass and the like.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I'd turn all of these options off AND disconnect the modem. Why would they even list insurance-related data as an option? Our freedom is being taken from us, folks, a little at a time, baited by lies about useful benefits by opting in. Mark my words, the end game is non-ownership; rather subscriptions/ leases for everything. What is the single most important difference between the two major global ideologies? Frogs in a cooking pot.......
If I ever become this paranoid, I'll make sure to wear that tinfoil hat and make my home 20ft deep under earth with 12 inch think metal walls, this way when I'm dead no one will ever know.

Sorry but I think this is beyond extreme, and If your using your computer at home or on your phone to type this, its to late for you as they know where you live and what you do. I would urge you to get your data from Lexis Nexis so you can stroke out after you see what they have on you already.

To go back on topic, I’ll give another example (and apologies if it’s been mentioned already). Those safe driving programs that insurance companies offer, I’d advise not to enroll. Used to be a dongle you would plug in, now it’s an app. They dangle a nice policy discount in exchange for your driving habits. The first year of enrollment is usually the biggest discount and then they slowly erode that discount after year 1. And to offset that discount, they absolutely sell your driving data and probably location data as well. So, buyer beware on those programs too, not just FordPass and the like.
And this is part of the reason I believe the option is there, to do away with the dongle and tap directly into your car, Mine will ALWAYS be off, and the day it turns on without my permission is the day I will own Ford and Lexis Nexis along with Verisk.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If I ever become this paranoid, I'll make sure to wear that tinfoil hat and make my home 20ft deep under earth with 12 inch think metal walls, this way when I'm dead no one will ever know.

Sorry but I think this is beyond extreme, and If your using your computer at home or on your phone to type this, its to late for you as they know where you live and what you do. I would urge you to get your data from Lexis Nexis so you can stroke out after you see what they have on you already.

And this is part of the reason I believe the option is there, to do away with the dongle and tap directly into your car, Mine will ALWAYS be off, and the day it turns on without my permission is the day I will own Ford and Lexis Nexis along with Verisk.
Agreed, give me the option to turn it off and if I do choose to turn it off, it better not mysteriously turn itself back on. The day a manufacturer (or company) no longer gives me the option to turn something like that off is the day I no longer support that company with my dollars. I’m not a fan of big government but I’d be in favor of some kind of legislation that would never allow companies to take that choice away from us the consumer (maybe it already exists?).

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Just be careful with a non-response KB. Sometimes a non response = Yes.
Roger that, Mark. Learned that factoid a long time back. As Yogi used to say,

"You have to be smarter than the average bear."

(These folks are SNEAKY! :=)

With the exponential increase in collection there has to come a point where it just no longer makes a meaningful increase in profit for the amount spent on collection and processing.
Odds are, that's true, Jaymar but I think the "when" is all about how much the data-hungry insurance companies are willing to pay the auto manufacturers. For sure they (the OEM's,) won't lose money and unless those fees continue to increase, your hypothesis may very well come true.

Eventually, this AI will be able to predict the market with high accuracy. Imagine the fortune to be made.
Insurance companies and similar companies (think large financial/investment institutions) will be a while before they adopt that technology.
I think there may be a bubble as you suggest, FS, but like Mark said about insurance companies, Wall Street moves at a similar speed. Plus, those ADHD money crunchers are watching the markets around the clock and have no doubt already begun changing their software tools and investing in the stocks/funds that are at the leading edge of innovation, (read AI.) It's for that reason that I don't think FakeBook kind of instant fortunes will be a thing.

I'd turn all of these options off AND disconnect the modem. Why would they even list insurance-related data as an option?
And that is THE question, Craig, which of course only has one answer, it's because the law says they have to inform you first, (and this is where the "sneaky" factor comes into play,) before they can start stealing your information. I see new, even sneakier tricks all the time, they are getting better at deception.

Throw away your phone and computer that you’re typing on too then because it’s tracking way more of what you’re doing than your car is.
Very true, Mark but remember, none of the other data thieves one might run into on the Web (at least that I can think of,) have control of your auto insurance bill.

It’s like turning the Titanic

But that’s still a ways out for a lot of these large, Fortune 100-type insurance and financial institutions IMO.
Yep, that's why I don't think there will be anything near the huge, short-term profits made during the first tech boom.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Eventually that cycle will break and the younger generation will be the ones calling the shots. But that’s still a ways out for a lot of these large, Fortune 100-type insurance and financial institutions IMO
I agree except all old, stodgy people were once young and idealistic. When you're young you're poor so you want to stick it to the man and fight the institutions but eventually you start making some of that money and become the institution. Nothing will really change as yesterday's hippies become tomorrows yuppies.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Very true, Mark but remember, none of the other data thieves one might run into on the Web (at least that I can think of,) have control of your auto insurance bill.
Very true. Although sometimes the ramifications can be even higher (identity theft, of which I’ve had to fight twice now due to large corporate data breaches). That’s a little different than a company collecting data and selling it for advertising or what have you. But eventually it’s likely to end up in the wrong hands, as we’ve seen on numerous occasions now. The less these companies know about you, the better.

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Congratulations Gentlemen. You have successfully hijacked and fried a nice thread.

Can we move on now before the powers that be remove it?

Reactions: OX1