Sponsored

The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

Tmpst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 21 Exploder ST, 00 Excursion v10
Maybe a dumb question, but in all that time, you never ran an issue with it using your phone as a modem and transmitter when it was plugged in using CarPlay?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I have no warranty and a FBO car so it isn’t about that.. it is about the people buying a 1st year car to then change a bunch of stuff and when something goes wrong why give Ford another reason to possibly deny your warranty.. it isn’t about convincing people or scared of the big companies it is more about why? But either way I don’t care I think it’s funny cause it creates great posts down the road when people are crying about their “poor car is broke, and big mean Ford won’t cover it” look at all the recalls in the industry right now.. I just meant wait a while before you start tearing stuff out of the car or changing to much stuff on a first year car. (Talking about the 2024+ new mustangs not the current ones)
No one is talking about 2024+ here. That is what Mustang7G is for.
Everyone in this thread, and 95% of the people on this forum have already "voided their warranty" in some way or another, and unplugging a module thats soul purpose it to send data back to Ford is not going to void anything. It can easily be plugged back in any time, and it has no mechanical implications, nor any functionality issues with anything else going on in the car.

Also, what exactly is a FBO car? My blower bolted on, as did my fuel system and long tubes. I guess Im an FBO+ then?

People come here to discuss and learn about customizing their Mustang, to personalize it. I am my warranty, if something goes tits up because of something I did to it, Ford is the last place I will look to for help. I wouldn't let the dealership rotate my tires, much less put a motor in it when I blow it up.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Maybe a dumb question, but in all that time, you never ran an issue with it using your phone as a modem and transmitter when it was plugged in using CarPlay?
It's not so simple, machines don't reason as humans do. In effect they don't reason at all.

While Sync can send some analytics data when plugged into WiFi it cannot do that with CarPlay, and in any case these will only be the analytics for the Sync system (although you can opt out of them). The TCU is there to collect different telemetry and has different integrations with the car systems do to that collection. For example you will find the TCU regularly waking up some of your modules to do that data collection while Sync never does that.

Tmpst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 21 Exploder ST, 00 Excursion v10
It's not so simple, machines don't reason as humans do. In effect they don't reason at all.

While Sync can send some analytics data when plugged into WiFi it cannot do that with CarPlay, and in any case these will only be the analytics for the Sync system (although you can opt out of them). The TCU is there to collect different telemetry and has different integrations with the car systems do to that collection. For example you will find the TCU regularly waking up some of your modules to do that data collection while Sync never does that.
So what you’re saying is that the “brain” is the TCU and Sync is just a medium for the interface/sensors? So by disconnecting the TCU; that severs any of the software designed to call home. Gotcha… this is on my list for soon to do :sunglasses:
Much appreciate all the research everyone put into this!

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
No one is talking about 2024+ here. That is what Mustang7G is for.
That’s right. And no one at Mustang7G would dare toying with any TCU modem or fuse because the S650 is built on Ford’s new « connected-vehicle technology ».
The car might check with Ford HQ every time you turn on heated seats to validate your subscription or something 🤖

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
That’s right. And no one at Mustang7G would dare toying with any TCU modem or fuse because the S650 is built on Ford’s new « connected-vehicle technology ».
The car might check with Ford HQ every time you turn on heated seats to validate your subscription or something 🤖
This is overstating it. At the best, it's built over the same technology the latest F-150 is based on and it's definitely not what you are describing.
The biggest change is the use of DOIP (Diagnostics over IP) and enabling the GWM to do something more complicated than what already does like caching / sending a firmware (already present on our cars by the form of the diagnostic interface, which is not only a port!).
And that makes sense from a servicing point of view. Being able to push a new ECU coding without the need to go to the dealer is a big benefit both for the average user and Ford. Not that they already managed to do it with great success, if you read the F-150 forum.

Having said that, the average buyer of a Ford is very different from the average buyer of a Tesla. The latter likes to feel empowered by having to buy a subscription to "boost the acceleration" or "heated rear seats", the former will buy another brand car/truck.

Blaming everybody who buys an S650 is not a good way to make your point.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
Fully networked + AI implementation + Lack of regulation
And just in time for the 75th anniversary of the 1984 novel published in June 1949.

The S650 is the latest American muscle car. But the S550 might have been the last of the American spirit car.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Fully networked + AI implementation + Lack of regulation

How much of that has changed from the S550. I tried reading the 2021 owners manual online and didn't find anything tas ominous as what he was reporting about the S650, but it is cumbersome reading.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I don’t remember reading some of what he was saying in the 550 manual. I will try to review the 650 manual to verify his statements. Pretty disturbing to say the least.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The best is yet to come.

C-WOODS-70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 A-Code coupe, '67 A-Code coupe, '22 GT PP 6MT
Lets say that you already drove your Mustang in a manner that would cause Ford to deny a warranty claim or cause an insurance company to raise your rates. Would it really do any good to disconnect TCU now, when they have already collected the data? {Kinda like the whole once it's on the internet it can always be found.}

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Lets say that you already drove your Mustang in a manner that would cause Ford to deny a warranty claim or cause an insurance company to raise your rates. Would it really do any good to disconnect TCU now, when they have already collected the data? {Kinda like the whole once it's on the internet it can always be found.}
If you plan to continue to drive said vehicle in such a manner, I would say yes it’s beneficial to disconnect the TCU. Otherwise it will just keep collecting the data, showing repeated use in said manner. Yes, they already have some data but why keep giving them more, especially if it can end up biting you in the rear at some point.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was able to get the RF meter back. I'll do a test on the '21 escape. I am busy over the next 4 days.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Did any of you took time to go and at least READ the user manual of the new S650?

I did. The TCU fuse is located at bay 8 of the BCM module, where it always was. Just pull it and be happy, or at least, stop complaining here. It's not the right forum (wrong car), it's delusional at best (just because you want to see a machination behind you back doesn't really means the World is plotting against you).

The "fully networked car" is just marketing hype. Go and study, then come back here and speak of things that you actually have a proof on.

1698302294159.png

Do I like the idea of data sharing? No, and I disabled mine.
But I'm not going around fear mongering others on the future, especially when there is no evidence of a future that dark.
Sponsored

Last edited: