Sponsored

The Great BIG CAI Thread

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
So after gaining nothing and seeing idle temps jump to 50 degrees above ambient I've contacted Yates performance and asked for a refund. I will keep looking for other options but I'm convinced that a sealed box is the way to go if you want to keep high temperature engine bay air out of your intake. The irony here is that there is a giant rubber gasket at the top of the box that is supposed to seal against the bottom face of the hood.
I'm running the Mishimoto sealed CAI and have seen (and heard) great results. My IAT is pretty consistent, no spikes at all, nothing weird.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I'm running the Mishimoto sealed CAI and have seen (and heard) great results. My IAT is pretty consistent, no spikes at all, nothing weird.
The mishimoto cai isn't a sealed airbox design. It just has a heat shield. The only sealed airbox cai that I know of is the air raid

therealdannye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
The mishimoto cai isn't a sealed airbox design. It just has a heat shield. The only sealed airbox cai that I know of is the air raid
Ahh, gotcha. I wasn't aware of that distinction. Point still stands; it's a quality unit.

CompetitionOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
Cobb vs Roush vs Airaid...decisions decisions

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Has anyone seen the intake tube from Airaid? Seems like a semi budget way to get a CAI with decent gains but keep the factory airbox for the semi factory look. Should I expect any gains?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
EB S550 Premium PP Manual Tripe Yellow
Has anyone seen the intake tube from Airaid? Seems like a semi budget way to get a CAI with decent gains but keep the factory airbox for the semi factory look. Should I expect any gains?
Your ECU monitors the amount of air entering the engine and will adjust the fuel accordingly. This means that no matter the aftermarket intake assembly, the car will maintain the same power so to speak.

I dont have any hard evidence for this but if you try to imagine how the ECU governs the parameters of the engine then the speculation will make more sense. I would save up for a tune instead if you havent already.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Your ECU monitors the amount of air entering the engine and will adjust the fuel accordingly. This means that no matter the aftermarket intake assembly, the car will maintain the same power so to speak.

I dont have any hard evidence for this but if you try to imagine how the ECU governs the parameters of the engine then the speculation will make more sense. I would save up for a tune instead if you havent already.
Alright, I guess ill just wait on it. Seemed like a good idea for a budget CAI. Thanks.

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium

Not saying at all that I know what's going on but what you said is contradictory. If the ECU monitors the airflow and adjusts the fuel accordingly then wouldn't it add more fuel? If it added more fuel then wouldn't that result in more fuel and more air into the combustion chamber? Would that not result in more power?

therealdannye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Not saying at all that I know what's going on but what you said is contradictory. If the ECU monitors the airflow and adjusts the fuel accordingly then wouldn't it add more fuel? If it added more fuel then wouldn't that result in more fuel and more air into the combustion chamber? Would that not result in more power?
On paper, yeah, it does sound contradictory. But don't forget about that magic number... 14.7:1. The MAF sensor's job is to regulate the A/F mixture to maintain that ratio. The maintain portion is what you were missing from the picture. If you want more air to the engine, then you could change out your throttle body as well (or add a throttle body spacer if you use the stock throttle body). My understanding is that your engine can only breathe so deep, so to see a benefit you should have parts upgraded on both ends - CAI pulls air faster/cleaner/more open/whatever + throttle body utilizes that extra space/air/voodoo. Now do this for more parts and you'll see more improvement.

As far as the math is concerned, you can keep a ratio and still bump the amount of the ingredients. Just gotta find the choked point I suppose!

One user said this elsewhere:

Even if it works, the gains are minimal, and for the price, stupid unless you have supporting mods. Example: I have a car with a larger throttle body, better flowing intake manifold, and an intake that went from a 6-foot-long curvy snake thing to a 5 inch straight pipe with the stock MAF inline. Thats not a kit, but you get the idea. And it wouldn't do much on its own even though the ECU can support a wide range of changes. To really get use out of it, I went with massive cams and a full header-back exhaust, and some other things. And even with that, it only made a difference because those are some of the known weak spots of the design. But for a filter, or an intake pipe alone, on most vehicles, you are wasting your money. Same can be said for a cat-back. Can make a nice sound, may do a little for performance but not a whole lot because the air still has to go through the tiny exhaust to get to that point. The whole system is kinda brought down to the weakest link.
[DISCLAIMER: not a doctor. Correct me if my rudimentary understanding is wrong, guys! Lol I like learning too :headbonk:]

Last edited:

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
On paper, yeah, it does sound contradictory. But don't forget about that magic number... 14.7:1. The MAF sensor's job is to regulate the A/F mixture to maintain that ratio. The maintain portion is what you were missing from the picture. If you want more air to the engine, then you could change out your throttle body as well (or add a throttle body spacer if you use the stock throttle body). My understanding is that your engine can only breathe so deep, so to see a benefit you should have parts upgraded on both ends - CAI pulls air faster/cleaner/more open/whatever + throttle body utilizes that extra space/air/voodoo. Now do this for more parts and you'll see more improvement.

As far as the math is concerned, you can keep a ratio and still bump the amount of the ingredients. Just gotta find the choked point I suppose!

One user said this elsewhere:

[DISCLAIMER: not a doctor. Correct me if my rudimentary understanding is wrong, guys! Lol I like learning too :headbonk:]
ecoboost = no MAF sensor:doh:

Sponsored

therealdannye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
Ok, looks like Yates performance is gonna let me return the Roush CAI. I just pulled the trigger on an Airaid CAI. I was considering a drop-in filter upgrade and the Airaid pipe upgrade but I found a listing on ebay for $225 on the full Airaid system. With shipping it came to $250 out the door.

Now on the subject of MAP based systems, can someone explain how the alleged increase in volumetric flow will affect performance.

rl16v6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Black EB Premium, 2008 Shelby GT500
I went this route with the Airaid intake tube and AEM Drop In filter in the stock airbox. I noticed no increase in IAT over stock, and the car feels like it pulls better to me.

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo