Sponsored

The Great BIG CAI Thread

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Your forgetting

My quest is most likely a tune and an exhaust, maybe a down pipe. So far that appears to have the biggest performance bang for the dollar. Unless I come across new info.
Intercooler is before exhaust or downpipe for sure.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
You didn't see the install guide?
Here's the thread, please check it out, it's really easy to install our intake;
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16229&highlight=fftec+cai
The Hose didn't seem to connect to the one part easily (Tried stretching it to no avail) and I think it's missing a piece to hold the MAF sensor, we checked for it, poured the peanuts out and we didn't see anything

We looked it over and tried it, I mean I wrote that out of frustration, I'm calmer now, so I'm willing to give it another go, but as I said, can't seem to find whatever it is for the MAF sensor.

Hopefully whatever the problem is we can fix, I was so excited to be finally installing it and utterly disappointed that we couldn't

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo
The Hose didn't seem to connect to the one part easily (Tried stretching it to no avail) and I think it's missing a piece to hold the MAF sensor, we checked for it, poured the peanuts out and we didn't see anything

We looked it over and tried it, I mean I wrote that out of frustration, I'm calmer now, so I'm willing to give it another go, but as I said, can't seem to find whatever it is for the MAF sensor.

Hopefully whatever the problem is we can fix, I was so excited to be finally installing it and utterly disappointed that we couldn't
Do you mean the plastic hose that goes to the valvecover? That piece is very stiff, it's easier if you clip the intake elbow onto the plastic hose first, then install the intake elbow onto the turbo.

There's no MAF on these cars, are referring to the IAT sensor near the airfilter? If so give me a call at the shop or send a PM when you get a chance and I'll talk you through it.
Thanks!

stangsince07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, about to purchase 2016
Another customer with no gains from a CAI and that one is the most expensive! I would send that fcking thing back immediately.:brokenheart: They claim like 27+HP and that would be plenty enough to see a better 0-60 time. :tsk:
What has me concerned about this engine is Ford was blowing up engines on the Focus RS trying to squeeze more power out of them.

Sure they did achieve their goals in the end but that's a team of the best engineers in the industry with the best cpu testing gear hands down. That has me thinking, "a little performance company is going to safely get 370hp+ out of the same engine when Ford struggled to do 350" Just doesn't add up. The key word is "safely"
yeah but thats with a tune...expect AT MOST +10 without

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
my final solutiion to CAI

After reading hundreds of posts and listening to proponents vs naysayers of aftermarket CAIs I've decided to do the following. Airaid intake tube and aftermarket filter from someone like K & N or Green. Adam from Tune + recently posted in another thread that he feels the ideal CAI is an Airaid intake tube and a Green filter and I tend to respect his opinions. Airaid's stated reason for issuing an intake tube by itself for sale is based on their tests showing that their intake tube flows better than stock due to the removal of internal baffles in the stock tube, plus they've improved the tapered shape a bit for a tiny bit of further gain. From what I've read, you either need to use a tube no larger than 3" in diameter or use a tube which tapers just right, down to the size of the connection to the turbo to have the most effective tube. Some will argue that a cone filter will significantly outflow the flat factory unit. However, if you've noticed, the filter used for the EcoBoost Mustang is the same size/part number as the filter used on the GT. I figure if my size filter can handle the load of a GT, it can easily handle the load of my EcoBoost engine, especially with a more freeflowing filter design such as K & N or Green. What I won't get from my setup is as much intake noise as some want, but I don't want that anyway. I find it annoying on the EcoBoost whereas I liked it on my previous Gts. The set up I'm proposing still has the stock resonator sitting on top of the stock air box and should still squelch some of the intake noise. My hope is that it would be even quieter than the Airaid system with its sealed airbox but no resonator, which makes the least noise of any CAI systems on the market as far as I've read from consumers. Another benefit of this system would be that the costs, about $200, which is just over half of what most of the full CAI systems cost. Does going this route make sense to you guys/girls, or is there something I'm wrong about or missing?

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Look at the ram air kit that goes along with that, seems pretty cool. Just adds to what your talking about and Adam listed it as well

danzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Boost Mustang
ram air kit

I have some doubts about the ram air kit. I've taken off the plastic shroud on top of the radiator area and shined a light into the intake opening in the grill and discovered that the engine can draw air not only through the opening in the grill but also from an equally sized slits in the top of and side of the area behind the grill. There's two different locations. If you shine a flashlight into the grill opening you can see the light come out the other areas of that open area behind the grill where the intake snorkel meets up with. These two areas get air from the high pressure area formed when the air hits the front end of the car and flows behind the closed part of the grill, adding two more sources of air to the engine intake. Problem is though that those two areas, at first, seem to be closed off when the grill shutters are closed. Fortunately Ford has built in a channel for air to be sucked into those two areas which goes all the way across the top of the radiator, between the metal and the plastic shroud, and opens up to a slit in front of the windchield fluid washer bottle. A little bit can also be drawn through open spaces by the hood latch. It's really a well thought out, rather ingenious flow system which would no longer be available to the engine if you hook a snorkel up to the intake snorkel and force all the air to come into the engine through that rather tiny opening in the front grill. Just my thoughts. If you want to check it out, take the plastic shroud off, shine a flashlight into the grill opening and you can see the light coming out of the top area opening. Then shine a flashlight into that top opening and look just to the left and below it, and you'll see the light coming out of the third small left side opening on the left side of that enclosed area that the engine can suck more air from. Then if you look across the metal and how it's formed along the front of the radiator, you can imagine how, after replacing the plastic shroud, how those two areas can still draw air in through the channel formed when the plastic shroud is reinstalled and the shutters are closed. Seems to me that somebody did a lot of thinking and planning there.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
For $200+ for the tube and the green filter I would just leave the stock intake there. The sound is the best part, I would worry that the gains wouldn't be noticeable. If you do let us know.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
That'd be the Levels Performance intercooler. It's around $500 and performs exceptionally well. Hit up Nikolas Doll on Facebook and he can hook you up!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
That'd be the Levels Performance intercooler. It's around $500 and performs exceptionally well. Hit up Nikolas Doll on Facebook and he can hook you up!

I thought this was a CAI thread? Which person are you responding to?

Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
It was supposed to have been in the intercooler thread!? I was in that thread and hit comment. Tapatalk strikes again.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
It was supposed to have been in the intercooler thread!? I was in that thread and hit comment. Tapatalk strikes again.

Gotcha!!! Al good, it looked out of context only reason I said anything. Lol I have done it before.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
After reading hundreds of posts and listening to proponents vs naysayers of aftermarket CAIs I've decided to do the following. Airaid intake tube and aftermarket filter from someone like K & N or Green. Adam from Tune + recently posted in another thread that he feels the ideal CAI is an Airaid intake tube and a Green filter and I tend to respect his opinions. Airaid's stated reason for issuing an intake tube by itself for sale is based on their tests showing that their intake tube flows better than stock due to the removal of internal baffles in the stock tube, plus they've improved the tapered shape a bit for a tiny bit of further gain. From what I've read, you either need to use a tube no larger than 3" in diameter or use a tube which tapers just right, down to the size of the connection to the turbo to have the most effective tube. Some will argue that a cone filter will significantly outflow the flat factory unit. However, if you've noticed, the filter used for the EcoBoost Mustang is the same size/part number as the filter used on the GT. I figure if my size filter can handle the load of a GT, it can easily handle the load of my EcoBoost engine, especially with a more freeflowing filter design such as K & N or Green. What I won't get from my setup is as much intake noise as some want, but I don't want that anyway. I find it annoying on the EcoBoost whereas I liked it on my previous Gts. The set up I'm proposing still has the stock resonator sitting on top of the stock air box and should still squelch some of the intake noise. My hope is that it would be even quieter than the Airaid system with its sealed airbox but no resonator, which makes the least noise of any CAI systems on the market as far as I've read from consumers. Another benefit of this system would be that the costs, about $200, which is just over half of what most of the full CAI systems cost. Does going this route make sense to you guys/girls, or is there something I'm wrong about or missing?
No offense, Danzo, but it seems like you're just massively overthinking an almost useless (performance-wise) upgrade. It really boils down to aesthetic more than anything else since most options available work perfectly fine and don't cause issues. Pick the one that fits your budget or fits your aesthetic. It's just a CAI.

*edit* I made the mistake of getting the CAI first because I was still really new to the forums and aftermarket upgrades. If I could go back, I'd have prepped for the tuning/downpipe with an IC first (the timing of my purchases worked out in my favor anyway). IC is coming up very soon for me.

Last edited:

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
No offense, Danzo, but it seems like you're just massively overthinking an almost useless (performance-wise) upgrade. It really boils down to aesthetic more than anything else since most options available work perfectly fine and don't cause issues. Pick the one that fits your budget or fits your aesthetic. It's just a CAI.

*edit* I made the mistake of getting the CAI first because I was still really new to the forums and aftermarket upgrades. If I could go back, I'd have prepped for the tuning/downpipe with an IC first (the timing of my purchases worked out in my favor anyway). IC is coming up very soon for me.
He was talking about the ram air kit, not the CAI. They are not the same

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Ram air is the inlet in which the air is being forced into the intake, CAI is a different filter and intake tube usually, again he said ram air, not Cai
Sponsored