The Great BIG CAI Thread

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
He was talking about the ram air kit, not the CAI. They are not the same
Sorry, replied to the wrong post. Fixed it.
Sponsored

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I saw walls of text and mostly conjecture about what really is the least important upgrade. Not trying to ruffle feathers but smooth them down (I read walls of text like that as anxiety).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Triple Yellow Ecoboost Premium
I'm trying to decide between a FFTEC or MAP CAI or maybe just putting a higher flow filter on the stock box. I've read through the posts and it seems like personal preference between the two. I did see a post for MAP saying that the aluminum tubes produced higher IATs but I am not sure if that took powder coatings into consideration or if it even matters.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Honestly, I'd just put a high-flow filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're already full bolt-ons, there's better mods for the money.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
There's been much discussion/argument about the use of metal intake tubes verses plastic. Yes metal has more thermal mass and will thus absorb more heat and store/hold that energy but when plastic gets hot it takes longer to transfer heat to its surroundings via convective or conductive actions. It's probably a negligible difference.

One other consideration may be that with a metal tube that has been heat soaked the moment you go WOT the heat will be almost instantly transfered to the high velocity airflow running to the turbo. For those of you thinking "that hotter air going to your turbo is a performance hit", it's almost negligible if not entirely negligible due to the short duration and relatively low heat and will be dealt with by the intercooler.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Triple Yellow Ecoboost Premium
Honestly, I'd just put a high-flow filter in the stock air box and call it a day. Unless you're already full bolt-ons, there's better mods for the money.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Do you know if you can run the Cobb stage 2 with just the high-flow filter instead of a CAI? The only mods I wanted were a FMIC, tune, and CAI (or high flow filter if the differences are negligible). I'll also probably slap a catch-can and new spark plugs eventually.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Awesome. I am not big on the CAIs, I just thought they might be needed for some reason.
Optimum running would be the cai, but I asked before to make sure. I have the air raid inlet tube

Sponsored

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I installed a CAI last fall and drove the car a few months before winter storage and I'm really thinking of going back to the stock air box with a K&N filter. I really like the induction sound but the whoosh sound of the POV is a little off to me. I got the CAI because I was planning on buying the Ford Performance Power Upgrade but it was promised so long ago and still hasn't shown up I don't think one is coming at all. People like the looks of the CAI but I'm really not sure of the whooshing sound and I've had all winter to think about it.

DIBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB S550 EB
I installed the AIRAID CAI today. The install was pretty easy. I only burnt myself once and only smashed one finger a little. Pretty good for me. If I can install it, anyone can. I can hear both the turbo spool and blow off a little more, but nothing obnoxious. Just can definitely hear that it has a turbo now. The fit and finish are very good. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Okay so I see a lot of comments here claiming that an after market intake is practically useless for performance gains. So how would you explain these gains from MAP for example with no tune. Are these numbers manipulated? Someone please explain.

6g Smoke Show

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Just received my MAPerformance CAI, I'll get it on this weekend, and put up pic's after.

thabrownieviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack 6 speed
So for those of us that have the annoying BOV sound at part throttle when cruising with an aftermarket intake is the solution, just a mechanical BOV or do you need the charge pipe + BOV?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Sponsored