Sponsored

MAP CAI vs MMR CAI mounting pro and con?

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I know that MAP CAI mount to the body of the car and MMR mount to the engine. MMR claimed mounting to the body could cause damage to some other parts down the road? is it true?

If MMR and MAP guys can help clear this up would be great. Thanks
Sponsored

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
I dont see the mounting of the MAP intake causing any major problems... thats just one company trying to strike at the other. The worst i see happening is it rubbing some paint away/surface corrosion. Cobb is mounting thiers to the motor like MMR so I personally would go with that design.

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Been using my MAPerformance CAI without any problems for the past two months. Awesome intake sound as well.

pineapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a piece of sh*t
I think that in other threads, members have mentioned the fact that because the MMR intake is mounted to the engine there might some some heat transfer. That's the only thing that I can think of.

Spoolin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost PP 6spd Manual
I think that in other threads, members have mentioned the fact that because the MMR intake is mounted to the engine there might some some heat transfer. That's the only thing that I can think of.
Yeah i was gonna mentiion that too but i dontbreally see it being a big deal at all sincecob if going for the same design. Cob has some good designs.

Sponsored

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I'm not sure how significant that heat transfer could actually be. I think they're both fine options.

Zuul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP Premium
No issues with my mmr intake besides it being very loud....which isn't necessarily a bad thing lol

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
From our intake/downpipe/exhaust thread - http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16767

Other companies have been mounting their intakes to the front of the engine. From our testing we found that if you mount the intake to the engine it will allow the intake to move violently in the engine bay between shifts and take off and you run the risk of damaging the intake by rubbing on the body or headlight. We decided to mount ours directly to the body and allow the silicone coupler to absorb the movement from the engine. We use high quality 4-ply silicone couplers, so no need to worry about the coupler fatiguing over time. You will see were we made the mounting bracket in the pictures below.

That pretty much sums it up, the space in the fender well is very limited and there is a headlight ballast / horn in there that comes very close to the intake system. So with our intake mounted to a part of the vehicle that doesn't move we eliminated any concern for it bouncing around in there.

Mounting to the front of the engine is easy, mounting to the chassis has been industry standard for many years. Look at one of the biggest intake companies in the world AEM/K&N they been mounting their intakes directly to the body for YEARS.

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I would strongly suggest the MAP CAI over the MMR. I would have less concerns over damage to the car with a body mounted system (like MAPs) vs. an engine mounted system (like MMRs). And not only do I feel that they have the better design, but their products have other added value like their customer service.

Here's a review that I compiled a while back when I had first received the MAP CAI:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17159&highlight=MAP+CAI

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
The bottom line is the engine moves independently of the body, the inlet tube must properly mounted to the engine when a solid style intake tube is used. The factory airbox can be mounted that way because it uses an accordion style inlet tube and rubber isolator at the airbox mount to account for the flex. Unfortunately the silicone couplers do not provide enough movement or isolation and will eventually damage the turbo or the body. MAP's quote of "move violently" is correct and somewhat conflicting with their own statement - the engine does move violently and this is why you CANNOT connect the engine to the thin fender well sheet metal! Anyone that has one of those kits should at very least get a rubber isolator between the body and the intake - much like how Ford uses a isolator between the body and the factory airbox - there is a reason that Ford did this, it allows for movement and prevents noise and vibration from being transferred into the car!! The MMR intake moves on the same axis as the engine and does not touch the headlight, ballast or body - guaranteed.

Sponsored

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
The bottom line is the engine moves independently of the body, the inlet tube must properly mounted to the engine when a solid style intake tube is used. The factory airbox can be mounted that way because it uses an accordion style inlet tube and rubber isolator at the airbox mount to account for the flex. Unfortunately the silicone couplers do not provide enough movement or isolation and will eventually damage the turbo or the body. MAP's quote of "move violently" is correct and somewhat conflicting with their own statement - the engine does move violently and this is why you CANNOT connect the engine to the thin fender well sheet metal! Anyone that has one of those kits should at very least get a rubber isolator between the body and the intake - much like how Ford uses a isolator between the body and the factory airbox - there is a reason that Ford did this!!

In my same statement I also stated what is allowing for movement between intake and engine. Thank you for agreeing with me that the engine does move violently, and that is why we didn't mount a 3.5 foot piece of metal to it.

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
In my same statement I also stated what is allowing for movement between intake and engine. Thank you for agreeing with me that the engine does move violently, and that is why we didn't mount a 3.5 foot piece of metal to it.
Guys, we are not here to argue with you, the member asked for an opinion, we both gave one, lets keep it professional and leave it at that.

OP
OP
JungleG1337

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thank you for the responses. I see the pros and cons of both.

MMR - does it absolutely require me to pop the wheel well to complete the install?
MAP - Do you have another option of color for your intake? im thinking lime green.

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
I hate when companies or proponents of said companies products state the benefits of their product as fact. Bottom line, simply put the information out there for customers to decide which part "must" be used or purchased.

With this being a discussion forum and all.... My personal opinion is that if mounting the intake to the frame was so detrimental to the vehicle, the stock air box wouldn't be designed that way. MAP goes to great lengths to show concrete data and evidence to back up their decisions of which products they choose for final release and will be getting the majority of my business when it comes to parts for my Mustang.

Other than me liking the exhaust note of the Cobb Catback more than any other manufacturers so far and Steeda for my suspension needs... MAPs attention to detail and emphasis on keeping stock functionality along with ease of install is second to none for the EB Mustang. It's clear they are dedicated to the platform and it shows in their products, their R&D, and their involvement on this message board.

Just my two cents.

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
Honestly I have an MMR since February, no issues at all with rubbing. Honestly the kind of movement that is needed for intake to rub on anything is the type that requires new engine mounts which also means by that time you probably have bigger issues then your intake.
Sponsored