Sponsored

The Coyote has been around for over a decade. We still don’t know what causes the “tick?!”

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Nope. You don’t know this. Have Coyotes from each generation blown up? Yes. It’s rare but it has happened. Since we don’t know what the noise is coming from, we also can’t say that it’s not related.
Well, one could just as easily say the inverse. Since you don't know where it's coming from you can't say they are related in a casual way. One can't even establish a coincidental relationship between the two so it appears they are as related to one another as penguin poop is to the price of airfare. It's a very noisy engine before the ticks, rattles and whatnots already. That's the price of an affordable DOHC engine. Just let that sweet exhaust note drown it out.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Any Porsche or do you have a particular motor in mind?
Do they tolerate not knowing the source of these noises.
My personal experience is with the Porsche engines between 2009 and 2016. Aluminum blocks, dual cams, aluminum heads, direct injectors and variable valve timing means lots of moving parts. Aluminum does not dampen sound and may create some harmonic resonance. I'm sure the Coyote is experiencing a lot of this, as well.

Porsche wouldn't tell you If there was an issue with anything.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Sometimes it's the injectors, especially on newer ones with direct injection.
Sometimes it's valve train noise.
Sometimes it's piston slap.

All these noises sound like the coyote tick. Hard to know if an individual reporting coyote tick is hearing one or the other.

Just saw a guy on Ticktok who owns a shop, build a coyote and it was ticking so he tore it back apart looking for anything wrong and couldn't find anything. He thinks it's the pistons lightly slapping.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The reason nobody has figured it out is because it isn't a failure or a sign of imminent failure. Its just a noise.

Most people just don't care, myself included.

Also, the community may not know what the tick is caused by, but Ford absolutely does.
I have a 2022 suzuki gsx's 1000gt. they changed a few parts on it, and a lot of people are experiencing literally this bbq tick equivalent, sounds like a diesel on cold and hot starts, or some on cold starts, and others just on hot starts.

the whole gsx's community is in an uproar over it, but theres a guy already with like 40,000 miles in last year, and zero issues. his has done it since day 1. yet, you got the people who claim to be experts telling everyone its going to blow up, and trying to get a recall.

makes me laugh, I embrace the diesel. just get on it and go. aint got time to sit around and listen to it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I am however sick of the thing sporadically going “clack clack clack” while idling at a traffic light. It’s not super loud so most people will probably never notice but it’s still embarrassing.

I want to know why (and maybe even fix it) but barring that possibility I just want to get my head around how on Earth, we still don’t know what is happening to cause this.
So a couple things. 1) If you don’t think anyone else notices, why is it embarrassing? 2) If the Ford engineers have determined it’s normal (they’ve said as much) and have not determined a recall or TSB is needed to fix it, there is no “fix” to be had. You’ll drive yourself insane tearing the motor apart trying to find a solution for a problem that very likely doesn’t exist.

There’s a lot of moving parts in these motors, they’re going to make noise. I would venture to guess they all make the noise, some might be a touch louder than others for who knows what reason.

Enjoy your car, don’t worry about a ticking noise that has existed for 10 years now that does not appear to have caused any significant issues over that time. If it’s that annoying, get a louder exhaust 🤣

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's typical VCT noises. Every VCT equip engines are noisy. Dunno why you guys are bustin a nut over it.

Sponsored

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
A test drove a used 2018 GT before I bought mine. It had the tick but at that time I did not know it was a feature and the salesman did not know enough to tell me.

Yeah this mine rattles like Hell but I’ve rarely ever noticed any ticks.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Been ticking since 200 miles on odometer. Now at 10k. One bottle of ceratec at oil change and it's whisper quiet. Out of sight out of mind.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
My personal experience is with the Porsche engines between 2009 and 2016. Aluminum blocks, dual cams, aluminum heads, direct injectors and variable valve timing means lots of moving parts. Aluminum does not dampen sound and may create some harmonic resonance. I'm sure the Coyote is experiencing a lot of this, as well.

Porsche wouldn't tell you If there was an issue with anything.
Your insight is appreciated here but I’m not yet convinced that this is apples:apples comparison. Mechanical engine noise is fine and even desirable. Porsches (older ones at least…) are often full of personality and texture. The engine noise and a bit of harshness are part of that.

But are there noises that are as sporadic as the Coyote typewriter tick? When there’s an inexplicable noise that shows up out of nowhere, this is usually grounds for an engine teardown. Many of us write off the tick as a quirk and a symptom of a semi-exotic engine at a working man’s price and we let it ride. I can’t imagine paying Porsche money and not taking action to fix this. I could be wrong…

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up my 2011 GT Brembo 6spd in August of 2010 and it quickly became one of my favorite cars I had ever driven. I traded it in with 40k back in early 2020 when the pandemic deals made a new S550 GT impossible to resist.

The only problem I ever had with the S197 was the damn “tick.” My S550 picked up exactly where the last one left off. It started ticking in exactly the same way pretty early on and never stopped.

I’ve done some searching and reading and recent threads have the same “shot in the dark” advice that they’ve always had.

How is this possible? These modular engines are certainly more complex than old pushrod motors but they’re not alien tech or anything.

So what gives?
"“shot in the dark” advice that they’ve always had." Of course because people refuse to accept the facts. It's the people that are the problem, another trying to make the car have LMAO every time I read it. Make the old school rumble & deep tone. BIG displacement, high lift cams with long duration valve timing owns that one.

The Exotics also tick & folks whine about those also..... as much as the mustang owners

Talk about a subject that's been beat to death already....quick summation, an IRON block absorbers the noise alum does not.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Been ticking since 200 miles on odometer. Now at 10k. One bottle of ceratec at oil change and it's whisper quiet. Out of sight out of mind.
Awesome to hear this…am I wrong or is it true that this helps some people but not others? If so, what does that tell us? What is the Ceratec addressing?

Not to be discouraging but I also had long periods when the tick would stop in my 2011 then show up again 2-3k later with no obvious changes to the oil, driving style, usage, gasoline, etc. I hope the Ceratec is the fix for you but I wouldn’t call it solved just yet..
Sponsored