Sponsored

The Coyote has been around for over a decade. We still don’t know what causes the “tick?!”

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I picked up my 2011 GT Brembo 6spd in August of 2010 and it quickly became one of my favorite cars I had ever driven. I traded it in with 40k back in early 2020 when the pandemic deals made a new S550 GT impossible to resist.

The only problem I ever had with the S197 was the damn “tick.” My S550 picked up exactly where the last one left off. It started ticking in exactly the same way pretty early on and never stopped.

I’ve done some searching and reading and recent threads have the same “shot in the dark” advice that they’ve always had.

How is this possible? These modular engines are certainly more complex than old pushrod motors but they’re not alien tech or anything.

So what gives?
Sponsored

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
To date I’ve had a 2014 GT Track Pack, 2018 GT PP2 and currently drive a 2019 GT PP1. I use Motorcraft 5w-50 in the 2014 and 5w-30 in the 2018 & 2019 along with Motorcraft filters.

Only tick I ever experienced in all three was during extended time at idle. My 2019 for instance did it while in the air checking to make sure the trans shipped full. It always sounded like the tick was coming from close proximity to the oil filter & cooler.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The reason nobody has figured it out is because it isn't a failure or a sign of imminent failure. Its just a noise.

Most people just don't care, myself included.

Also, the community may not know what the tick is caused by, but Ford absolutely does.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Countless more knowledgeable people than us have not figured it out, so you aren't going to get any answers here. If it bothers you so much, listen to a Porsche. After listening to one of those for a while, the Coyote engine sounds almost peaceful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When a machine makes a mechanical sound at unpredictable intervals with no known explanation, it calls the design into question. It’s even worse that it’s not consistent from engine to engine. At the least, it’s “untidy.”

No, Im not losing sleep over it. I don’t anticipate that it’s related to anything that will end the engine’s life. It’s just ridiculous that we still don’t know what is happening to produce the sound.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Countless more knowledgeable people than us have not figured it out, so you aren't going to get any answers here. If it bothers you so much, listen to a Porsche. After listening to one of those for a while, the Coyote engine sounds almost peaceful.
Any Porsche or do you have a particular motor in mind?
Do they tolerate not knowing the source of these noises.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also in ten years, none have blown up because of it...weird.
Nope. You don’t know this. Have Coyotes from each generation blown up? Yes. It’s rare but it has happened. Since we don’t know what the noise is coming from, we also can’t say that it’s not related.

Regardless, I get this comment. People make a personal investment in a product, they join the team, etc. As a result, people get annoyed or snarky or just nasty when their “thing” that’s now connected to their identity is called into question. I suspect we’ve all been there, especially when it comes to the cars that we love.

Please take a deep breath. That’s not what’s happening here. I LOVE my Mustang and I bought two of these cars specifically because of the Coyote engine. I’m not here to pick on it.

I am however sick of the thing sporadically going “clack clack clack” while idling at a traffic light. It’s not super loud so most people will probably never notice but it’s still embarrassing.

I want to know why (and maybe even fix it) but barring that possibility I just want to get my head around how on Earth, we still don’t know what is happening to cause this.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
what is a brembo 6 speed lol
Sponsored