Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The factory cooling doesnā€™t seem very great, itā€™s an Ecoboost non performance pack. Iā€™ve added the PP extras and several handling mods, but never touched the cooling system. I drive for work and will be sitting in traffic for hours sometimes, have 115F weather here in the summers and itā€™s starting to heat up and Iā€™d rather have a great cooling system and total peace of mind. Iā€™ve noticed a major improvement with the Intercooler and Iā€™m hearing good results on upgrading the radiator (even without a tune) and Iā€™ve gotten high temps at times in the summers.

Just picked up the Mishimoto radiator today for $230 new, so I didnā€™t pay MSRP making it that much more appealing to upgrade.

Only thing is if anyone knows about being able to remove those black support parts the Intercooler is hitting, Iā€™m assuming itā€™s fine to remove those and several stock photos have them removed. Any input on this? I currently just have the Intercooler tilted forward out of the way, but wouldnā€™t mind having it bolted in.
Photos are in the last post.
The Mishimoto radiator is a nice piece. Your car will run at the exact same temp unless you change the t-stat. If you are interested in HPDE, I can tell you from experience, the Mishi rad is not enough. You need ducting and venting. A lot of work. But for street use, the stock cooling system is fine.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Dont you feel the lower therm will need a tune specific?
No. With a 160* thermostat (where it *starts* to open), the car runs about 175-180* CHT steady-state. There are no temperature modifiers that I'm aware of at that temp.

TimH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecoboost Mustang
Thanks. I have heard different views in my quest to lower temps on track days.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Thanks. I have heard different views in my quest to lower temps on track days.
Just remember that the thermostat will only control your temp if you have enough cooling for it to matter. It's damned hard to get enough cooling on any of these cars for that to be an issue. If you do have excess cooling, though, that's where it will control things.

Also, I've been tuned forever, so I can't remember much about the stock setup. I think I tuned it about 2500 miles or less.

There's also a 170* thermostat available, I believe? Talk to Livernois about which is better for a stock engine.

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
Installed a Mishimoto unit Thursday. Getting the old one out seemed harder than putting the new one in. I did unbolt the active shutters from the bumper support to ease installation which, despite its depth compared to the stock unit, the Mishimoto went in fairly easily and getting it into the tabs was much easier than getting the old one out. Haven't done any serious testing as of yet.

I would have bought a CVF for the price and it looks like it'd be easier to maneuver into place shapewise compared to the bulky Mishimoto. Unfortunately the CVF isn't CARB compliant so no go on that. According to the specs the CVF would run about 5 degrees cooler. Would that make a massive difference? I'd want all the performance I can squeeze out of my car, staying within the rules of course.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
My mini review of installing a new intercooler and question at the bottom.

Over this holiday week I installed a slightly larger intercooler to replace the stock one. The quality was very nice. Though, a lot heavier than I was expecting. The install was straightforward. Honestly removing the stupid aero grill shutters was the most difficult part because I simply couldn't see what was going on in there. Tightening the hose clamps was also a little difficult. I really hate Fords retainer clips on those hoses.

As for performance from the new part, I think things feel stronger during pulls. Its hard to tell since the high is only 40 all this weekend. I tried to do some 0-60 runs to see if there was any improvement - its impossible to say because I was getting a good amount of wheel spin (maybe due to power or cold tires, or both?) Some negatives though, because it is heavier and the weight is so far forward, I can really feel the car under-steering. I feel like it has also introduced some turbo lag into the system under traffic conditions. Sportmode seems to relieve this issue.

My question is, is there any chance I have a boost leak? I cant hear anything wrong. Under full throttle I am getting just over 23 psi (I do have the FP tune installed). Is there any chance there is a leak casing me to feel lag at the very low end while driving in traffic? Low speed driving just feels off to me.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
OEM is 2.5", Race IC is 2.75"
@Jason-I'm getting ready to do the IC. I have an oil separator that I am going to try to install before New Year's and a fuel pressure sensor on the way. Since I have a convertible that is not going to win any races I assume the street is the way to go, correct? Can I use the OEM charge pipes? Any discounts or sales coming up? Thanks

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
@Jason-I'm getting ready to do the IC. I have an oil separator that I am going to try to install before New Year's and a fuel pressure sensor on the way. Since I have a convertible that is not going to win any races I assume the street is the way to go, correct? Can I use the OEM charge pipes? Any discounts or sales coming up? Thanks
Yes sir, good to go with the Street if you don't want to push it! Feel free to use WEBCHAT5 to get our largest active discount, which includes no taxes added (we eat the cost) adn free shipping to the lower 48!

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have a convertible also and bought the street version. Haven't had time to install it yet but looks well built.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
just ordered charge pipes. does the stock cold side expand under pressure lol. i put a gopro looking at my fans while driving and it kind of looked like it did expand.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
just ordered charge pipes. does the stock cold side expand under pressure lol. i put a gopro looking at my fans while driving and it kind of looked like it did expand.
I have not videoed it at all so no actual proof, but I do believe it has to expand some under max boost. It does have woven strands of reinforcement in the hose but is still mainly rubber.

BD
Sponsored