Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Sorry about the problems the OP is having. I'm actually pretty happy with my build quality this time around. I was hopeful that these improvements were across the board. My 2016 GT 350 on the other hand was horrible. Paint sagging, huge panel gaps, etc.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I took it to my local dealer and the service advisor first said they can't go to Ford with the paint and body panel issues and that I should go back to the dealership I purchased it from. He later came back and said since it was a GT500 he would see what he could do with his manager but has not done anything or returned my call.

I am now taking the day off tomorrow and driving back to the dealership I purchased the car from. I am dreading this as their dealership is really small and I don't even think the body shop has full time staff.

Can anyone check their fender alignment and let me know if they align with the hood correctly? There is a significant difference at the top of both fenders between the hood and the fender. In one of the pictures I put a pen up to show the difference which is about a half of the pen width.

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg
IMG_3794.jpg

A better shot of the hole in the clear coat on the top of the quarter panel.

IMG_3789.jpg

I found this on the front bumper which looks like one large scratch that hooks around was painted over.

IMG_3791.jpg
That's total BS. Ford is on the hook for those issues. It seems you are caught up in the "you didn't buy that car here" crap. There were some dealerships in SoCal that would refuse to do any warranty work on cars bought out of state. They can't do that and I suggest you contact Ford and tell them what you were told. They will light a fire under their asses.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yep just contact them direct. Get some fire under their dealer

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Thanks. It says that I don't have permission to view these files.
Just updated the permissions.Hopefully you can see them now?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500 (ordered), 2018 F150 Platinum, 2019 M40i
I got my local dealer to submit a warranty claim. The body shop manager said that to fix everything the car would need front and back bumpers, the hood and the drivers quarter panel repainted, possibly replace the passenger fender because it looks like it will never line up. To paint the quarter panel they would need to remove the back glass and headliner.

He said that Ford painted over the scratches/marks on the bumpers and that it was not something that happened after production.

I will see what Ford says about the warranty claim but I think I would leave it at fixing the bumpers and having them try to adjust the fender. Anything more will probably make the situation worse.

There was a new green one sitting in the showroom that I looked at while I was waiting today. The fenders on it did not fit well, there was at least one scratch on the rear bumper that was painted over and paint bubbles on the hood. All for only $20k over.
B821F9ED-9848-4D5F-AE24-C938D18E00A8.jpeg

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
And that's when they weren't running an extra shift and 6 days a week. Makes me worry a bit for my car that has yet to be built.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
It does look rather thick...damn sorry amigo...and I thought robots were supposed to eliminate all those problems? Obviously, not.

Unfortunately, making it right will be quite involved. Best of luck, whichever way you go.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It’s like they have two separate crews of Quality control teams. My 15 was junk off the line. 19 is perfect.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It’s like they have two separate crews of Quality control teams. My 15 was junk off the line. 19 is perfect.
My '19 is pretty solid too, or maybe IDGAF as much anymore :crazy:, but panels are pretty aligned, paint is decent (no notable aberrations), everything is put together as expected (like no problems with interior panels).

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
OP that does suck but I hope you can work it out. My 15GT had very thin paint on the roof, grit in the paint on the front fender and a misaligned rear window and trunk lid. I adjusted the trunk lid myself and just let the rest go. I think it is hit or miss on all cars and trucks.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
This is another reason to get protective film/ceramic coating from a trusted source right after taking delivery. They will alert you to any imperfections and warranty claims when going through the body with a fine toothed comb and doing paint correction.

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
I also had a 15 and now a 19. The 19 is nearly flawless. The guys who did my ceramic coating were pretty amazed at how good it was. My 19 is Ingot Silver which seems to hide imperfections. Overall build quality is much better on the 19 than the 15. I would be happy if my GT500 is the same as my 19 GT.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I also had a 15 and now a 19. The 19 is nearly flawless. The guys who did my ceramic coating were pretty amazed at how good it was. My 19 is Ingot Silver which seems to hide imperfections. Overall build quality is much better on the 19 than the 15. I would be happy if my GT500 is the same as my 19 GT.
My professional guys said mine was near perfect also. They mentioned that they had to sand out a little overspray on some seams, but that was it. I really think the quality and panel gapping is hit or miss regardless of model, which is crazy like others have said.
Sponsored