SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpwv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Isn’t that video for removing the satellite antenna, did you upgrade from mft or from a base system. my gps antenna was under the cover right above the radio. I just unplugged the cable from the old antenna, took it off the factory mount and put the new antenna on the mount and just ran the new gps cable to the new radio.
I was upgrading from an mft system with nav. The kit from @HextallS550 included a different antenna. That kit requires the removal of the original roof-mounted Sirius antenna in order to replace it with a late- model multiplexed Sirius and GPS antenna assembly from Ford. It required the replacement of the antenna as shown in the video and connecting a cable in the console below the cup holders. The other end plugged into the new screen and the ACM unit below
Sponsored

Last edited:

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
I was upgrading from an mft system with nav. The kit from @HextallS550 included a different antenna. That kit requires the removal of the original roof-mounted Sirius antenna in order to replace it with a late- model multiplexed Sirius and GPS antenna assembly from Ford. It required the replacement of the antenna as shown in the video and connecting a cable in the console below the cup holders. The other end plugged into the new screen and the ACM unit below
Ahh gotcha, didn’t realize there were different options. Good to know.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Isn’t that video for removing the satellite antenna, did you upgrade from mft or from a base system. my gps antenna was under the cover right above the radio. I just unplugged the cable from the old antenna, took it off the factory mount and put the new antenna on the mount and just ran the new gps cable to the new radio.
There are 2 ways to do it. Due to the FoE antenna shortage some people received a different package than you did.

Berserk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
I'm still having an issue connecting my FordPass to the car unfortunately. My kit came from Breeves. They sent me a separate second APIM, had to take it all apart and replace the existing one again and it's still not connecting.

I've tried master resetting, FordPass resetting, removing my vehicle from my FordPass account, etc to no avail. Currently on my phone it states the car is waiting activation and I need to follow the on screen prompts but I never receive them and when I choose the FordPass Connectivity button it spins and does nothing. I did see that my car had on the sticker a note that the 4G was removed and was reduced $20 due to supply. Could this be causing the issue? If so, why did it work when I bought the car just fine and now it's failing?

Thanks, working through the issue in DM with HexTall a bit and Breeves through email, just hoping for some more minds on the issue. It's not a huge deal but would really like it to work.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Hey guys, has anyone swapped out the 8-inch screen for the newer, thinner 8-inch screen? If so, what brackets did you use to mount it?
Thanks

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What thinner screen? Where did you here they changed the screen?
https://www.amazon.com/TAIFAM-Explo...reen+mounting+brackets,electronics,151&sr=1-4

If you look there you can see some pictures
I got one from a f150 at car-parts.com It came with the f150 bracket. The current bracket mounts to the side but because this is thinner it mounts to the back of the screen.
The screen has better resolutions and it will work with the current sync 3.4.
I have a sync 4 module with nav but since it is so complicated to get only some things working i am just holding off for now but will use the screen on the 3.4 sync
The screen is also recessed and a tiny bit larger but it will work on the mustang

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
https://www.amazon.com/TAIFAM-Explorer-Touchscreen-Navigation-Featuring/dp/B0BPLHN51R/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1NJ9XVN0B53QX&keywords=sync+4+touchscreen+mounting+brackets&qid=1686432931&s=electronics&sprefix=sync+4+touchscreen+mounting+brackets,electronics,151&sr=1-4

If you look there you can see some pictures
I got one from a f150 at car-parts.com It came with the f150 bracket. The current bracket mounts to the side but because this is thinner it mounts to the back of the screen.
The screen has better resolutions and it will work with the current sync 3.4.
I have a sync 4 module with nav but since it is so complicated to get only some things working i am just holding off for now but will use the screen on the 3.4 sync
The screen is also recessed and a tiny bit larger but it will work on the mustang
OK, so it’s from a different vehicle. Got it. 👍

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so it’s from a different vehicle. Got it. 👍
Yea, ford abandoned the Mustang a while ago and any new 8 inch screen that comes with sync 4 has higher resolutions. It can be retrofitted but you need the mounting bracket

Sponsored
OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
We are waiting for a quote to offer Mustang specific brackets, unfortunately, they won’t be cheap.
Ford didn’t abandon the S550. They simply weren’t going to invest in the electrical architecture that is required for Sync 4/4A in a car that already had its MMC and was due to be replaced in less than two development years.

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are waiting for a quote to offer Mustang specific brackets, unfortunately, they won’t be cheap.
Ford didn’t abandon the S550. They simply weren’t going to invest in the electrical architecture that is required for Sync 4/4A in a car that already had its MMC and was due to be replaced in less than two development years.
@HextallS550 Let me know when you get them. I definitely will want one. Tks

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
I've sorted through this thread about 800 times, and honestly the more I read the more I get confused lol my situation is a little unique but application is fairly straight forward.

I have a full 2018 base car interior swapped in my 94 GT. It has all of the modules from the s550 so for sake of this discussion, I have a 2018 base get.

At one point while parking the donor car out, I sold the base screen, bezel, and ACM out of it because I thought I was going to do something along the lines of the dynavin. I've sinced decided against it and want to stick with the ford components so here's what I installed currently:

-Sync3 APIM From 2018 car
-2017 GT350 Bezel
-NO ACM Since I sold it and I'm a doofus.

I have available from another car I just purched a Full Sync 3 system from a 2016 GT Premium.

I havent changed any of the wiring from the base wiring so I know that's why things aren't working, as well as the forscan updates.

At this point i'm thinking that I can scalp from the 2016 car:
Carplay Hub
2x under the center console usb plugs
ACM

Is there anything additional that I would theoretically need? Can these components be used with the 2018 APIM & Body wiring? HALPPP

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
At this point i'm thinking that I can scalp from the 2016 car:
Carplay Hub
2x under the center console usb plugs
Just curious if you mean the usb hub with 2 plugs? Like 2 usb plugs on the one module in the center console? Do you have a usb port under the start button (not in the center console)? If you use a USB hub with 2 ports in the center console, the stock one under the start button will not be connected to anything. I upgraded my 2015 to sync 3.4 with a kit on amazon and it came with the carplay 2 usb hub, and it doesn't work with that other usb port. Both ports in the center console do work however

Also when I did my upgrade, I used the bracket from the old screen to put on the sync 3 screen. Does your sync 3 screen come with the brackets on the side?

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
Just curious if you mean the usb hub with 2 plugs? Like 2 usb plugs on the one module in the center console? Do you have a usb port under the start button (not in the center console)? If you use a USB hub with 2 ports in the center console, the stock one under the start button will not be connected to anything. I upgraded my 2015 to sync 3.4 with a kit on amazon and it came with the carplay 2 usb hub, and it doesn't work with that other usb port. Both ports in the center console do work however

Also when I did my upgrade, I used the bracket from the old screen to put on the sync 3 screen. Does your sync 3 screen come with the brackets on the side?
I have an entire 2016 GT at my disposal lol Ihavent looked at what the hub in the center console is, I meant to say USB cables, I think one gling from hub to hub and one going to the APIM?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.