SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
The issues that you guys are having with the maps going off course is because of the aftermarket antennas. Even a high quality Trimble antenna, which is what we used from 2017-2019 will not work properly with Sync 3 APIMs.
Mine was fixed with a couple codes in Forscan. Antenna works fine. Bought the unit from China, so not sure of the manufacturer of the antenna, but the ppl I bought it from seemed to have pretty intricate knowledge of the APIM.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
It’s not a configuration data issue. The antennas work fine for awhile and then they crap out. Most kits from China are using software hacks and even though some of those parts look genuine they aren’t.

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
It’s not a configuration data issue. The antennas work fine for awhile and then they crap out. Most kits from China are using software hacks and even though some of those parts look genuine they aren’t.
Lol. I've had it for 4 years. Works great. Nav, Android auto, everything works fine. If you can offer up a better explanation or more detail about the "software hacks", as I'm a software engineer, I'd be very interested. I did buy your harness for the USB port, though, so thanks :)

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you’ve had it for 4 years it’s hard to say which version of Sync 3 you have. Several companies in the US and China (eBay sellers in particular) are downloading software to run 3.4 on warranty turn in 2016-17 APIMs. Incredibly stupid idea for a business, but it’s cheap and you can get by doing it if your customers are willing to accept stuff that’s “good enough and seems to work”*

I’m not willing to do that. I’ve been in product development for 17 years at GM, Honda, Roush and Ford. Discussing certain details is career suicide, so I’m not doing that either. What I can tell you is that there is a huge difference between doing things the right way and simply trying to sell product. My customers don’t have these issues because I’ve always adhered to best practices. DIY is not the same as taking peoples money in exchange for product.

The only configuration data related to the antenna is the mounting position. I’ve discussed this with one of Ford’s DREs and he backed up my findings. Changing that doesn’t actually fix the issues with the drift. It comes down to whether or not the antenna being used is actually compatible with the APIM. I’m guessing they sent you an older APIM with an antenna that copied the old Trimble design.

*This is a quote from one of our competitors when questioned as to why he had no issues selling people products that were warranty turn ins or copies of stuff from China.

Last edited:

Sponsored

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
@HextallS550 do you sell the proper aerials? I never got DAB or Traffic Info working on my swap. I had it on my ACM before I upgraded to sync 3 (RHD AU 2016).
Tried multiple aerials and removed the centre aerial by the speaker too.
Compass and navigation work fine. Just no DAB OR TA. DAB just constantly scans blocks even with the region set correctly on the APIM

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
@HextallS550 do you sell the proper aerials? I never got DAB or Traffic Info working on my swap. I had it on my ACM before I upgraded to sync 3 (RHD AU 2016).
Tried multiple aerials and removed the centre aerial by the speaker too.
Compass and navigation work fine. Just no DAB OR TA. DAB just constantly scans blocks even with the region set correctly on the APIM
I would need more information as to what it was that you installed. You can send me an email at [email protected]

Kyle Fulleton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Mine was fixed with a couple codes in Forscan. Antenna works fine. Bought the unit from China, so not sure of the manufacturer of the antenna, but the ppl I bought it from seemed to have pretty intricate knowledge of the APIM.
You are correct. I fixed my junk yesterday. $20 OBD 2 and free Forescan software fixed it right up. Thanks for the response.

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
Issue with the APIM or screen most likely. (Not sure what year you’re using) Could be the harness too.
Would it be that I am using the base AIPM connector? I haven't messed with any terminals/pins like you mentioned
EDIT: I ordered a conversion harness and that fixed the issue

Last edited:

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
If you’ve had it for 4 years it’s hard to say which version of Sync 3 you have. Several companies in the US and China (eBay sellers in particular) are downloading software to run 3.4 on warranty turn in 2016-17 APIMs. Incredibly stupid idea for a business, but it’s cheap and you can get by doing it if your customers are willing to accept stuff that’s “good enough and seems to work”*

I’m not willing to do that. I’ve been in product development for 17 years at GM, Honda, Roush and Ford. Discussing certain details is career suicide, so I’m not doing that either. What I can tell you is that there is a huge difference between doing things the right way and simply trying to sell product. My customers don’t have these issues because I’ve always adhered to best practices. DIY is not the same as taking peoples money in exchange for product.

The only configuration data related to the antenna is the mounting position. I’ve discussed this with one of Ford’s DREs and he backed up my findings. Changing that doesn’t actually fix the issues with the drift. It comes down to whether or not the antenna being used is actually compatible with the APIM. I’m guessing they sent you an older APIM with an antenna that copied the old Trimble design.

*This is a quote from one of our competitors when questioned as to why he had no issues selling people products that were warranty turn ins or copies of stuff from China.
Yeah...I knew what I was risking going direct from China, but the seller had a long history of positive feedback selling APIMs and screens. Worked out for me. I wouldn't expect a perfect experience vs going for a known reliable seller, but I don't mind a challenge either. The APIM that I received I believe had a 2018 manufacture date if I remember right. Looked like it came out of an F-150 because I had to change the boot logo and Bluetooth name and all that as well via forscan to identify as a Mustang. The below forscan codes fixed the GPS drift. I changed them all at once, so maybe didn't need all of them. Not sure, it's been a while. And I wasn't meaning to imply that you should give up trade secrets of anything. Lol.

7D0-03-01 0003 0000 00DE
7D0-04-01 0100 0200 03E2
7D0-04-02 0001 DE

Sponsored

Berserk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
Hello,

I bought and installed a kit from Breeves a couple of months ago. Everything came and was installed successfully. I have my drive modes working, the only thing I can't get to work is FordPass. Would anyone be able to provide some insight on how to get this working again? (2023 GT). The only other complaint I have so far is Android auto seems to lock up on the screen sometimes and I have to unplug and replug my phone then it's fine.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I bought and installed a kit from Breeves a couple of months ago.
That’s unfortunate…

7D0-03-01 0003 0000 00DE
7D0-04-01 0100 0200 03E2
7D0-04-02 0001 DE
Wow.. The person that wrote that data does NOT have intimate knowledge of Ford APIMs.

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
Just got done upgrading from MFT with Nav to sync 3 with Nav. Everything was plug and play, got the whole kit from @harnessbyhextall. Thanks Thomas.

kpwv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just finished my upgrade to Sync 3 in my 2015 Mustang with a kit from Harness by Hextall. The only issue that we had was attaching the new GPS antenna to the ACM unit. Ford did us no favors by strapping down the wire bundle, so we were unable to pull the unit out far enough to get to the cables. We ended up using a camera phone to find the putty cable and pull it out blind. Also found a great video on how to install the GPS antenna.

How to Remove the Antenna on a S550 Mustang - YouTube

Thanks Thomas, Harness by Hextall!!

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
Just finished my upgrade to Sync 3 in my 2015 Mustang with a kit from Harness by Hextall. The only issue that we had was attaching the new GPS antenna to the ACM unit. Ford did us no favors by strapping down the wire bundle, so we were unable to pull the unit out far enough to get to the cables. We ended up using a camera phone to find the putty cable and pull it out blind. Also found a great video on how to install the GPS antenna.

How to Remove the Antenna on a S550 Mustang - YouTube

Thanks Thomas, Harness by Hextall!!
Isn’t that video for removing the satellite antenna, did you upgrade from mft or from a base system. my gps antenna was under the cover right above the radio. I just unplugged the cable from the old antenna, took it off the factory mount and put the new antenna on the mount and just ran the new gps cable to the new radio.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.