SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I will be taking time off from my regular job at the end of this month to start production of Sync 3 swap harnesses, MFT harnesses, ACM-RCA harnesses and DSP-RCA harnesses. If you are local to Columbus or Cincinnati, Ohio and you are going to do the swap in a car other than Mustang I want to speak with you!

I'd also like to know how many people are interested in some kind of multi-part video series on Sync swaps, FORScan programming and other add-ons such as RPA or adding My Color. I picture it as a video FAQ.
I would like to see a video FAQ of some sort. And I hope to get one of those sync3 harness.
Sponsored

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
To be clear, the correction in the BCM that corrects the operation of the hazard toggle does just that: corrects the operation.

When you put a premium bezel in a base car, you may notice that when you push up on the hazard toggle, it sticks on. This is by design. You can push the toggle down again but it won't go down on it's own.

In a premium car, the hazards are on in the up position and down in the off position. In a base car, you tap the button to turn the hazards on and tap again to turn it off, much like a mechanical latching button switch but the effect is electronic, as the button is physically a momentary switch.

The toggle in the premium car is also a momentary switch and thus the need for the as-built change. The toggle is effectively holding down a momentary switch. So when you put the premium bezel in a base car with no as-built changes, you must flip the toggle up then down to turn on hazards, then up and down again to turn them off. Whereas the correct operation (that the as-built change will give you) is up - on, down - off.

I hope that was clear enough.

ANYWAY, with regard to the as-built change not working... are you in a 2018 car now? If not, can you screenshot what you're trying to set in FORScan and post it here?
Ok that explains that then...I will need to try to program it once I get back to Sacramento :D Thanks for the clarification.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Almost got everything now, remembered yesterday I needed an OBD reader to make the Forscan changes too so will be ordering that this week then hopefully everything comes in quick.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I will be taking time off from my regular job at the end of this month to start production of Sync 3 swap harnesses, MFT harnesses, ACM-RCA harnesses and DSP-RCA harnesses. If you are local to Columbus or Cincinnati, Ohio and you are going to do the swap in a car other than Mustang I want to speak with you!

I'd also like to know how many people are interested in some kind of multi-part video series on Sync swaps, FORScan programming and other add-ons such as RPA or adding My Color. I picture it as a video FAQ.
I am interested in the how to videos. I got all my parts cant wait to get the harness!

Sponsored

alex mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6 V6 Conv.
Help needed please
I successfully traded the 2016 Base Radio for a 2015 MFT
Thanks again to all for the really great instructions here in the forum !!!.
Have only one problem the microphone - voice control does not recognize a command?
and it can not be used for Tel - because no one can hear me .... ????
ask for info as I can fix the problem
Thank you !!!!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Help needed please
I successfully traded the 2016 Base Radio for a 2015 MFT
Thanks again to all for the really great instructions here in the forum !!!.
Have only one problem the microphone - voice control does not recognize a command?
and it can not be used for Tel - because no one can hear me .... ????
ask for info as I can fix the problem
Thank you !!!!
Are you sure that you followed all of the changes to the connector pinouts specified here? HOW TO: Add MyFord Touch/Sync 3 to base model S550

alex mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6 V6 Conv.
Hello Spart

Thank you I just checked everything again but unfortunately found no error
Microphone went normal with the old non touch radio.
Do you have an idea for me?
should I try an update from the MFT is still on 4.3
or can I try something with Forescan?
I'm grateful for every tip !!!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hello Spart

Thank you I just checked everything again but unfortunately found no error
Microphone went normal with the old non touch radio.
Do you have an idea for me?
should I try an update from the MFT is still on 4.3
or can I try something with Forescan?
I'm grateful for every tip !!!
I'm not sure what the issue could be, most of us only have experience with swaps to Sync 3, not Sync 2 (a.k.a. MFT)

Did you start out by setting the as-built in your APIM to match an EU Mustang with MFT from the factory?

alex mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6 V6 Conv.
Hello,Spart thanks for your quick response.
my Mustang is a used US model from Florida which I have imported to Europe myself.
and the MFT + Bezel, and the USB hub is also from a US car...

does anyone know I need all the cables for the USB HUB or just as described the Power and Ground Cable -
have for my MFT only the USB HuB with 1 USB port and no SD card and only with 4 pin connector

the funny thing is that everything works fine except for the microphone?
Do you know where the Mircrophone is mounted on the convertible I think in the roof console or?

ThKS Alex !!!

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've just read all of the posts because I didn't want to post in here for something that was already answered. There were several people that really seemed to contribute with this, HextallS550 and Spart (And the others) thank you very much. I'm going from a 2015 Base to a 2016 (Donor car) Sync3, and I am switching the ACM to a non-nav, but XM/HD. I had HD Radio in my past BMW 135, and I miss it.

My question is regarding the ACM outputs. I know from reading that the ACM puts out a line level signal, and that can be changed to provide speaker-level outputs. My question is this- an oem kick panel amp goes for about $40 on ebay. Now I have the not-very-great base (Not to be interpreted as 'bass') speakers, but at some time, I will replace them with something better. So I'm thinking I'd like to add the factory amp because I'm not looking to be extremely loud, and although an Alpine "power pack" amp is probably better, I like going stock because I think it will be good enough and fits in there no fuss, no muss.

Does anyone know if the factory wiring is already there in the kick panel? e.g. I could plug it in and go? Or would I need to run power, and the pre-amp wires to the amp, and the subsequent speaker-level outputs back to where the head unit effectively to where the ACM would output to the speakers? Or am I being stupid and the ACM speaker level outputs are going to be sufficient to power some halfway decent speakers (Polk, Kicker, Alpine, etc.)?

I got a premium bezel, HD ACM, Screen and APIM for about $450 on ebay. I am still procuring the other parts. I'm finding that mouser is out of stock (Until November) on one of the terminals. I'm no means an electrical engineer, but I'm familiar with working with extremely small electronics and using IR soldering machines, so I want to give this a whirl myself. I love that forscan is in hex, I deal with hex all day long. The BMW's are neat in that when you go to tweak "Code" them, everything is auf deutsch.

I've kind of arrived late to the party (I bought my Mustang literally 2 weeks ago), but I've been thinking about how I can contribute. I've thought about doing some sort of "free" forscan adaptor rental. I have a bluetooth MX on order, and I've read that you don't have to mess around with a switch when using forscan. Once I get my system installed, I'd be fine emulating autozone...Basically pay me the deposit for the unit, and when you return it, I'll send you everything back, with exception for the shipping fee & paypal fees. If you don't want to play around with forscan and plan on using it just for this, it will save you a few bucks.

HextallS550 & Spart, once I get this thing installed, PM me if you are a beer/coffee drinker because I want to thank you for your time.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Does anyone know if the factory wiring is already there in the kick panel? e.g. I could plug it in and go? Or would I need to run power, and the pre-amp wires to the amp, and the subsequent speaker-level outputs back to where the head unit effectively to where the ACM would output to the speakers? Or am I being stupid and the ACM speaker level outputs are going to be sufficient to power some halfway decent speakers (Polk, Kicker, Alpine, etc.)?
Having just done an install of one of those tiny D class four channel amps in a C5, I'd say you'd be foolish not to strongly consider it. It's been several years since I've done any real car audio stuff, and back in the day D class amps were strictly for subs.

The little amp we went with is impressive for how diminutive it is, a Pioneer GM-D1004.

tiny-pioneer-amp.jpg

I'd have to recommend going with an Alpine KTP-445U though. The Pioneer doesn't have manual gain adjustment, it just is what it is. The Alpine has manual gain adjustment, but like the Pioneer you can run it in 4/3/2ch modes so you don't give up anything.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Hi everyone,

I read through most of this thread, I hope my question is not redundant. I’m planning on to do the Sync3 upgrade for my V6. Currently I have external amps to power my aftermarket speakers. I was wondering if I replace my base ACM with premium ACM with Sat/HD,( since the premiums have external amps) how will I be able to tap into the audio signal wires on the new ACM?

Thanks

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I read through most of this thread, I hope my question is not redundant. I’m planning on to do the Sync3 upgrade for my V6. Currently I have external amps to power my aftermarket speakers. I was wondering if I replace my base ACM with premium ACM with Sat/HD,( since the premiums have external amps) how will I be able to tap into the audio signal wires on the new ACM?

Thanks
I've read that you can code the ACM to output either speaker level or line level outputs. Spart talked me into the Alpine 445U, so I plan to leave my HD/XM ACM alone, so it will be line level. I have the ACM right now, and there are no conventional RCA-style connectors, so I believe you still need to cut the output of the factory harness and tap/bullet connect (lousy) or solder/heat-shrink (better) an RCA onto the factory harness. Then you would take the outputs from the amps and connect to the remaining part of the factory harness.

I'm speaking from theory, I haven't installed it yet.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've read that you can code the ACM to output either speaker level or line level outputs. Spart talked me into the Alpine 445U, so I plan to leave my HD/XM ACM alone, so it will be line level. I have the ACM right now, and there are no conventional RCA-style connectors, so I believe you still need to cut the output of the factory harness and tap/bullet connect (lousy) or solder/heat-shrink (better) an RCA onto the factory harness. Then you would take the outputs from the amps and connect to the remaining part of the factory harness.

I'm speaking from theory, I haven't installed it yet.
Correct, or get an RCA harness from Hextall.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.