Status
Not open for further replies.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So I decided to do this. I want Apple Car Play.

'17 BASE V6 to Sync 3 NON NAV

I have a Premium bezel on the way, and I also scored an APIM w/ bezel (without dual zone AC but with the 8" Screen) on the way as well. So I might have an extra bezel cheap for someone when I'm done with my swap.

Both from 2016 Mustangs.

USB hub, both USB cables are ordered and on the way including some extra trim clips.

I've already got the ability to do the FORScan changes.

Anything I'm missing besides the GPS antenna (for compass) I'll order that from Amazon? I don't care about HD radio / Sirius.

Thanks

Also PM'd Hex about base to SYNC 3 adapter harnesses if available.
Sponsored

alex mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6 V6 Conv.
Premium Bezel

Hello I have a V6 Base Car and would like to upgrade to the 8 inch display with a Premium Bezel.
can someone please tell me whether the normal climate functions are adjustable via the buttons after the conversion - of course not dualzone.
and whether the toggle swicth work.

I could get cheap a used bezel with seat heating buttons -
would that be a change?

thanks for the info

Alex

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
[MENTION=34178]alex mustang[/MENTION]
I just did this on a ecoboost and the buttons and touchscreen work. Obviously not dual zone. I have one of those same bezels and you just have to disable them with forscan. They work and you will get some errors in forscan but currently there is not a workaround at this point but it does not cause any issues.

Quick question guys,
How would you go about bench testing a screen and apim? What would you need to do this? Any help or directions would be great
Thanks

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION]

Props to Hex for not only all this info - making this easy - but also helping me out (when he sure wasn't obligated to) by saving me some time and money. Turns out the Screen / APIM I THOUGHT I found was a Chinese knock off that someone installed in a car that ended up in a salvage yard.

Just got off the phone with a yard and my Screen and APIM is on the way. $310 shipped. Out of a '16 Mustang EB (best deal I could find looking all yesterday and last night - everything on LKQ seemed to be for 2015 Mustangs - which isn't Sync 3 of course).

Waiting on everything else to get here and when the harness shows up - I'll get some beer and get this done.

Thanks to everyone who has documented all this info. Plan on trying to add to the AS BUILT List in the next few days - least I could do.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
can someone please tell me whether the normal climate functions are adjustable via the buttons after the conversion - of course not dualzone.
and whether the toggle swicth work.

I could get cheap a used bezel with seat heating buttons -
would that be a change?
The climate controls work as you would expect.

The toggle switches work, but need some as-built changes to get you to full functionality.

With or without seat heating buttons doesn't matter. My bezel has them and I disabled the buttons with FORScan.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Harness ordered.
Everything else is on the way. Apparently the Ford USB Cables for the hub for Car Play are on back order. Expected to ship 4/20.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
What is the going price for the base > 3 premade wiring harness? I am sick of looking at this little 4" screen.

alex mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 6 V6 Conv.
@ Spart Thank you for The Info !!!
Do you still have the codes for forscan to disable the seat heater?
Thank you

Sponsored

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Well, I finished my SYNC3 conversion yesterday and found a few bits worth mentioning here:

1. If you are using an APIM from another Ford car (like I did), it is paramount that you flash a complete set of As-Built data from a 2016+ Mustang best matching your own options. I tried it first by fiddeling around with different bits and it was only when I flashed the complete APIM asbuilt from another Mustang that everything straightend out.

2. I had issues with the precission of the navigation. It seems the APIM needed to go through some kind of internal calibration (maybe the gyro sensor?). I used it for several days now and it's precission improved greatly. No more off-route or wrong compass headings.

3. My cheap GPS antennas reception was kind of poor. It took forever (like 3-4 min of driving) to aquire enough satelites to fix my position. I was shown the "no GPS" symbol on my navigation map after every startup of the car. I removed the original 2015 GPSM module on top of the dash and put the new antenna right on the metal bracket were the old module sat. This gave me very little improvement only.

I remembered one post by [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] about positioning of the gps antenna

HERE

So I used a 10 Inch x 10 inch piece of aluminum foil which I folded down to approx. 4 inch x 4 inch and put it on the dash and fixed it with the metal bracket. Put the antenna on top and my gps reception improved big time!

no more hickups on startup, compass direcion is on the spot. everything works as it should.

Big thanks goes to all the brainz here in the forums who figured all this stuff out and made the swap as easy as it was. Special thanks to [MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] for this really excellent tutorial here and for the well made USB Hub power harness that made my installation truly plug'n'play.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So I used a 10 Inch x 10 inch piece of aluminum foil which I folded down to approx. 4 inch x 4 inch and put it on the dash and fixed it with the metal bracket. Put the antenna on top and my gps reception improved big time!
This is something I have been wanting to experiment with for awhile. The information that I was given by the people at Racelogic concerning the GPS antenna that I am using and how it should be mounted leads me to believe that a larger piece of metal is required for the Amazon antennas.
My car is finally back in Columbus with me and I hope to play with the antennas when I finish up an APIM program for one of the members here. My thanks to [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] for the as built database and his find of acool's post on the F150 board relating to Sync 3 non-NAV updates. I will update the OP in the next week or two.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to get all my ducks in a row while I wait on my harness, my Ford USB Cables (apparently back ordered) and my bezel (next day or two). I'm gathering all the programming changes I need to make with FORScan etc.

I am assuming since I'm non NAV, the Amazon antenna will work fine for me as it just effects the compass direction - right?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.