Not open for further replies.

Steviefingers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD OR, 1996 240sx, 2022 Mustang GT
I have a 2020 Base GT that i am trying to upgrade to sync 3.

I scored a screen/APIM from an unknown vehicle and do not have the VIN. I was able to pull the As built data from motorcraftservice.com for a 301A car that is similar to my car just with the sync 3 and MYcolor options.

My question is, should i just change all of the APIM values to that of the AsBuilt data i got from the vehicle i pulled from motorcraftservice.com? Or should i only change certain value in the APIM?

I know i will have to change the stuff for the hazards and drive modes but my concern is with the APIM being from an unknown vehicle.
Sponsored

TampaThom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I have a 2020 Base GT that i am trying to upgrade to sync 3.

I know i will have to change the stuff for the hazards and drive modes but my concern is with the APIM being from an unknown vehicle.
The great thing about reprogramming the APIM with ForScan is that you can change the settings without using the AS-Built values. Simply select the option under the one that reads "As Built". Then look at the description and change what you need to. One tip: copy down the existing values so you can change it back if something doesn't work as expected.
Have fun!

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Youā€™ll need to do a lot more than just the drop downs. Those are just the basics. Also, on the 2020 the APIM should be from a 2020 that has the additional CAN bus.

Steviefingers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD OR, 1996 240sx, 2022 Mustang GT
Youā€™ll need to do a lot more than just the drop downs. Those are just the basics. Also, on the 2020 the APIM should be from a 2020 that has the additional CAN bus.
so there is no way to utilize a non-2020 apim? I donā€™t care about WiFi or FordPass as I do not use it for anything.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you donā€™t care about those or full functionality you can use the older APIM. Youā€™ll want to use at least a 2019 APIM so that you can run 3.4 which is what should be on a 2019/21 car
And before someone says it, yes.. I know you can run a software hack on the older APIMs and run Sync 3.2+, however, given that Iā€™m a business as well as what I do for a living I strongly discourage the hacks. Thereā€™s no way for me to diagnose that software if a customer has an issue.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What is the additional CANBUS for? Any idea when that change was made?

JazonX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason Bourne
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hey Guys,

I have read the thread from OP to here, and Posting this since I was unable to answer a few questions, and or some Codes suggested here didn't work out for me. It may have been by my mistake, or they just intended to be like the solar code errors.

Configuration;
I have a 2016 GT (GCC Spec using in GCC), which has (had) a Base 4" Screen.
(Edit: Automatic Petrol, Non-Premium, Non-PP, No Leather Seats, No Ambient Lights, - If it helps)

I upgraded to a Sync 3, Everything works well so far, even the phone connects and all audio is playing via the speakers, Drive toggles, Hazard toggles all are working as intended.

Except, What bothers me are the following error codes (I read that HVAC, Solar errors can be ignored, which is fine). However I still keep getting an Audio error which I'm not sure for why or for what reason.

Furthermore, My theme is somewhat a mix of Grey and Blue which is hardly readable. If there is a way to make the letters black, or some other theme selection, That would be insanely great!

The following are my current errors, Which keeps appearing even after clearing DTC.
Errors.png

To further clarify, These are my current AS-Built in FCIM and APIM;
Modules.jpg

Thank you for your time, and any help is much appreciated guys!

Last edited:

TampaThom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Hey Guys,

I have read the thread from OP to here, and Posting this since I was unable to answer a few questions, and or some Codes suggested here didn't work out for me. It may have been by my mistake, or they just intended to be like the solar code errors.

Configuration;
I have a 2016 GT (GCC Spec using in GCC), which has (had) a Base 4" Screen.
(Edit: Automatic Petrol, Non-Premium, Non-PP, No Leather Seats, No Ambient Lights, - If it helps)

Thank you for your time, and any help is much appreciated guys!
Don't worry about the ACM DTC. I have it too and I believe it is a fault created when I change codes because it is easily cleared. Even so, the presence doesn't seem to effect functionality.

As far as your theme colors, I notice some of your APIM codes are GT350R theme, but that should not cause your screen to display odd colors. Have you looked at the known good codes in the spreadsheet links? Does your boot up screen show the correct colors? Your settings should show a red background with the snake if I interpret your setting correctly. Do you have any of the Police blackout settings enabled?

If all else fails, you may have a bad display unit. Can you attach a picture of the screen once it is fully booted?

Another thing to try is to find the as-built codes for a Mustang similar to what you have with the 8" screen and compare the settings.

Good luck.

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Just a quick thanks to Thomas at HextallS550. Received my new big screen, bezel and assorted parts late last week, installed over the weekend and as of last night, it's all programmed and fully functional for half the price some other places are charging. Now i just need to get the digital cluster happening and i'm good to go!

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
He knows some things about that too.

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Just a quick thanks to Thomas at HextallS550 . Received my new big screen, bezel and assorted parts late last week, installed over the weekend and as of last night, it's all programmed and fully functional for half the price some other places are charging. Now i just need to get the digital cluster happening and i'm good to go!
I've got about a week to wait for my delivery, a long week, and will report back on my installation.

Last edited:

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Iā€™m in the middle of finally installing the Sync 3 setup into my ā€˜16 base model but Iā€™ve run into a small issue. My Harness by Hextall kit came with a GPS antenna adapter but no GPS antenna. Is this something Iā€™m supposed to have? I thought we couldnā€™t reuse the original antenna and I donā€™t know what to use the adapter for, I donā€™t have anything to plug it into.

TampaThom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Not sure about the kit you bought -whether it should be included or not, but you will need a different GPS antenna. I bought mine off Amazon.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Not sure about the kit you bought -whether it should be included or not, but you will need a different GPS antenna. I bought mine off Amazon.
Could you post a link to the GPS antenna and let us know how its working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.