Suspension Mods for a Newbie?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Thanks for correcting the BMR spring rates. I was going off my failing memory. LOL
Hey man..there are about a million springs out there. Ive been studying this stuff non stop the past month or so, otherwise i wouldn't remember any of them either probably lol. Completely understand.
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I'm new here and have 2019 Mustang GT base with 301A. My first mustang and it's my daily driver and I don't think I can go back. I was coming from a Miata and miss cornering, spirited driving on the backroads with twisties. I don't have a place to install the parts myself so I figured I might as well as get these parts installed by a shop at one time, since they'll have to lower the subframe anyway.

Steeda minimum drop lowering springs
Steeda vertical links
Steeda subframe alignment & subframe bushings kit (or does BMR SCB766 & CB010 do the same thing?)
Steeda sway bar end links (front and rear)

I'll get a K-brace would be later down the road since that's an easy bolt-on. Sway bars would be even further down the road.

Not sure if getting Steeda subframe braces or BMR CB005 will help or be overkill for a street car.

But do you recommend the differential bushing or is that overkill? Anything that I should consider getting installed first? Any of the above not necessary for my needs?

Thanks!
Sent you a PM! #TEAMLETHAL

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I thought the OP said that he could do the top end mods, but not having a lift, prohibited him for the underside work.
If there is a will there is a way

According to his first post..he does not have a place to install himself.

Im not sure what that entails. But this may not be an option.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I thought the OP said that he could do the top end mods, but not having a lift, prohibited him for the underside work.
If there is a will there is a way
"I don't have a place to install the parts myself "

Like i said though..without more context its hard to tell what that entails. Is it because he doesnt have a jack and stands? Is it because no garage? No concrete around? Etc. You could be right. Idk lol

But yes. If there is even a little space..i agree to do it himself.

OP
OP

Boxxer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You seem to be thinking he is talking about the strut tower brace..but he is not.
I was confused about the K-brace but searched by the part number and see it's a crossmember. Yeah, for what they're charging for it, I'll gladly pick that up! Strut tower brace I'll get later and do it myself because I like turning a wrench.

Why not go with the full FPTP suspension and leave all the nice to have things like IRS Stop the hop kit for other time.
If I go with the full FPTP suspension, then I couldn't get the subframe bushings and subframe alignment. The focus would be the suspension and not the chassis. You improve handling but you'd still have wheel hop, no? I want to beef up the rear and improve the handling. Plus FPTP lowers the car an inch drop. Install the K-member and then I might have to worry about speed bumps and curbs, which I don't want to worry about. Well, I do worry about them which is why I want the minimum drop. Don't get me wrong, if I went to the track at all, I'd look into a package like the FPTP.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea that the Steeda Stop the hop kit or IRS braces and alignment are needed for a car that is cutting corners.
Well, I do want to reduce some wheel hop. And I want to increase handling? Yes, I want my cake and to eat it too.

@Bridgie I'd love jack stands and a floor jack, but my parking space is a loose gravel spot. Not the type of spot that I'd want to have jack stands or even a ramp under a load.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I was confused about the K-brace but searched by the part number and see it's a crossmember. Yeah, for what they're charging for it, I'll gladly pick that up! Strut tower brace I'll get later and do it myself because I like turning a wrench.

If I go with the full FPTP suspension, then I couldn't get the subframe bushings and subframe alignment. The focus would be the suspension and not the chassis. You improve handling but you'd still have wheel hop, no? I want to beef up the rear and improve the handling. Plus FPTP lowers the car an inch drop. Install the K-member and then I might have to worry about speed bumps and curbs, which I don't want to worry about. Well, I do worry about them which is why I want the minimum drop. Don't get me wrong, if I went to the track at all, I'd look into a package like the FPTP.

Well, I do want to reduce some wheel hop. And I want to increase handling? Yes, I want my cake and to eat it too.

@Bridgie I'd love jack stands and a floor jack, but my parking space is a loose gravel spot. Not the type of spot that I'd want to have jack stands or even a ramp under a load.
K brace
Ford performance track struts and shocks (500ish that i linked) (this isnt the kit that comes with springs and swaybars at 1300ish)
Your choice of springs (sounds like you like the minimum drop)
And then research and choose between cb762 or the steeda irs brace.
50ish for steeda alignment

Should be close to 1k, maybe a little more, and a big improvement. Imo. Dont let the word "track" in the ford performance stuff throw you off. It is very good for the street, and better than the performance pack "street" stuff.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd also add the steeda IRS bushing support system to that list.

OP
OP

Boxxer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Right now I'm considering:

Steeda Stop the Hop Starter kit (subframe bushings, subframe alignment, IRS braces)
Steeda minimum drop lowering springs (yes, I want them because I'm traumatized by curbs)
Ford PP lower k-brace
Steeda vertical links (polyurethane) (still not too sure about it)
Pro-Action shocks (not too sure if I should postpone them so I can get something better)

So how's that recipe?

That puts me a little over budget and - like all of us - I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck and Steeda's prices have dropped for Black Friday. Pro-Actions are almost $200 less than Ford performance track struts and shocks; however, I haven't done research on Pro-Actions but they have to be better than stock.

If one part had to be cut out, should it be the vertical links, shocks, or something else?

Future mods would be tower brace and cowl extension, sway bars, and maybe jacking rails. And then I want to upgrade to a bigger fuel tank (I know that's wishful dreaming, but don't take my dream away)..

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Right now I'm considering:

Steeda Stop the Hop Starter kit (subframe bushings, subframe alignment, IRS braces)
Steeda minimum drop lowering springs (yes, I want them because I'm traumatized by curbs)
Ford PP lower k-brace
Steeda vertical links (polyurethane) (still not too sure about it)
Pro-Action shocks (not too sure if I should postpone them so I can get something better)

So how's that recipe?

That puts me a little over budget and - like all of us - I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck and Steeda's prices have dropped for Black Friday. Pro-Actions are almost $200 less than Ford performance track struts and shocks; however, I haven't done research on Pro-Actions but they have to be better than stock.

If one part had to be cut out, should it be the vertical links, shocks, or something else?

Future mods would be tower brace and cowl extension, sway bars, and maybe jacking rails. And then I want to upgrade to a bigger fuel tank (I know that's wishful dreaming, but don't take my dream away)..
I could be mistaken..but the steeda pro action front and rear isnt cheaper than the ford performance..and isnt as good from what ive seen. I think the 200$ is definitely worth it here..especially to have matching front and rear. I would drop the vertical links until later..do the ford performance track struts/shocks..and do the rest of what you listed.

Everything ive seen of people going with the steeda struts/shocks vs ford track or bilstein b6..is that the ford performance and bilstein are better and more than worth it.

Its your money and your car though. Steeda makes good products. So up to you. Id spend the extra 200 for better shocks and struts though personally.

Edit: the non adjustable steeda ARE cheaper. I see that now. Id still go with the ford performance. Removing the end links will make up the price difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The FRPP and B6's are high pressure gas shocks the pro actions are low pressure.

The pro actions are slightly softer initially. They may or may not be what you want but they are infinitely better than what you have on the car now.

Better is subjective. Give Mike D a call at steeda, he is a suspension engineer and he has tested all the shocks that are made for the S550 mustang. Tell him what you want and he will give you straight advise.

He has talked me into cheaper parts over the ones I thought I needed. It has always ended with what I wanted out of the car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The nice thing with the FRTP that adam linked to, is they come with upgraded strut top mounts and new rear shock mounts. They have stiffer rubber bushings than what is on your car now.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The FRPP and B6's are high pressure gas shocks the pro actions are low pressure.

The pro actions are slightly softer initially. They may or may not be what you want but they are infinitely better than what you have on the car now.

Better is subjective. Give Mike D a call at steeda, he is a suspension engineer and he has tested all the shocks that are made for the S550 mustang. Tell him what you want and he will give you straight advise.

He has talked me into cheaper parts over the ones I thought I needed. It has always ended with what I wanted out of the car.
The steeda arent monotube are they? The ford performance and bilstein are. Monotube is recommended

Either way..like i said. Steeda makes good stuff. People way more knowledgeable have tested them and say they arent as good as ford performance or bilstein though. Up to you. Youll probably be happy either way, but that doesnt mean one isnt better. I havent tested all of them personally so my opinion isnt the same as theirs.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The guys who say the B6's are better are track rats and are now on coil overs.

I have had the opportunity to try some twin tubes and I find them to be slightly softer initially and firm up quickly.

The mono tubes are stiff and linear in response.

I'm on the fence about which I like better.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
vertical links

if you go pro-action, get the adjustable units. Otherwise Bilstein B6 at all 4 corners.
and make sure your bump stops are cut short and of soft material - so not Ford, and I recommend against the Steeda bumpers too. Go with Eibach.
Sponsored

Last edited: