Sponsored

Supercharger....which one?

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Who here has a bone stock Mustang EXCEPT for the Whipple Gen5 Stage 2? Has there been any issues that could point the finger at the S/C?

Just wondering because I read some here they have either a broke axle or blown cylinder. I KNOW it depends sometimes on certain issues like if it's beat on, wrong tune (Stock Whipple tune too generic?), Low grade gas, etc. But just wondering how reliable on a stock engine.
Gen5 Stg2 here with only small other mods (op/cs, h-pipe, 170d thermostat). Running Whipple tune. I watch for knock on my ngauge like a hawk w a new tank of gas. But, I don’t beat the car to hell and I have a gen2 Coyote so don’t know if this helps you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Who here has a bone stock Mustang EXCEPT for the Whipple Gen5 Stage 2? Has there been any issues that could point the finger at the S/C?

Just wondering because I read some here they have either a broke axle or blown cylinder. I KNOW it depends sometimes on certain issues like if it's beat on, wrong tune (Stock Whipple tune too generic?), Low grade gas, etc. But just wondering how reliable on a stock engine.
I would also run the Whipple H/E. That would be the only thing besides the complete pkg

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Any idea what HP difference is between 91 to 93 octane?

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
Been running my Roush stage one blower since 2015 but I see you have a gen 3 car pp2. With the Roush setup on those they have smaller exchangers due to Direct injection. Here are the main problems with all these blowers. You need to upgrade half shafts, Trans, and clutch on a manual car. If you take it to the drag strip a new drive shaft might be in order. With my power level I lost my trans and my clutch. Blew out 3rd gear. Now I have a Ben Calimer stage 2 trans and MGW race spec shifter. I have a pp1 and never a problem with it not running right. Is it the fastest, no but it holds up well with that tune and is plenty fast for the street. Lots of choices but I must say the Roush has been the best for me.

Sponsored

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Any idea what HP difference is between 91 to 93 octane?
Not seeing that anyone has replied to your specific question. The research I have done seems to point to the answer "Not much." I'm sticking with the 91 that the typical gas station has, but carry an emergency supply of a few of these "boosters" in my trunk in case, as sometimes happens, I find myself far from home needing fuel and no one is selling 91 gas.

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Been running my Roush stage one blower since 2015 but I see you have a gen 3 car pp2. With the Roush setup on those they have smaller exchangers due to Direct injection. Here are the main problems with all these blowers. You need to upgrade half shafts, Trans, and clutch on a manual car. If you take it to the drag strip a new drive shaft might be in order. With my power level I lost my trans and my clutch. Blew out 3rd gear. Now I have a Ben Calimer stage 2 trans and MGW race spec shifter. I have a pp1 and never a problem with it not running right. Is it the fastest, no but it holds up well with that tune and is plenty fast for the street. Lots of choices but I must say the Roush has been the best for me.
That is good to know. Although I don't "get on it" as some, its always driven around city areas. But I shutter to think of something happening like you just mentioned.

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
As you might now a smaller TB creates a restriction when large volumes of air are needed. Think small straw vs big straw. It will reduce the pressure drop at the throttle body. This doesn't apply as much to turbo setups as much, because the air is forced through the throttle body instead of sucked through. At some point the inlet will become a restriction for the turbo as the boost gets turned up.
im going to have a Whipple stage 2 132mm throttle body for sale soon that been on my car for about 1k Mike’s and already have my 150mm upgrade to put on when I do my cams.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The OP has placed us in what engineer's call "outside the solvable region."

We need to know if the listed criteria are screening criteria or evaluation criteria.

Screening criteria is where you eliminate potential options. "I need a hotel with a ballroom or large meeting space." You then remove all those that don't have that feature from your list of possible options.

Evaluation criteria is where you separate or differentiate the remaining options based upon aspects that are most and least important to you. You place "weight" or greater emphasis on things you need most and you discount or place less weight on things that still need to be considered but aren't as crucial. "Proximity to the airport is crucial, closer being better, and it would be nice if the hotel had a pool, preferably an indoor pool, but it's not a deal breaker."

So given that framework, if you're looking for the blower that's MOST easily installed with little modifications, that points you toward centrifugals. If you're looking for something that uses the factory exhaust system, that eliminates turbos. If you're looking for something with "low end" performance, that points toward positive displacement blowers.

Criteria #1 and #4 and #5 are a bit conflicted when examining the typical options on the market. We need more information as to whether these are hard/fast needs or which one is more important.

YES, centrifugal blowers can be made to perform at low rpm, but it's not a knock or controversial to say that a PD blower will perform better or at least with less other tradeoffs at low rpm.

PD blowers aren't hugely complicated for installation and modifications, but compared to centris, they are more involved.

Similarly, there's no answer to all prayers. Turbine compressors have an efficiency curve. You generally don't get giant top end without a tradeoff on the bottom end, and vice versa. You could raise the entire curve so you get both, but that conflicts with the OP's simplicity criteria (you can make excess boost and blow it off using a smoothboost type solenoid tied to any number of inputs like throttle position, etc). Conversely, screw type or roots type blowers are going to hit hard (sometimes too hard) on the bottom end but run out of steam up top or at least not flow as strongly compared to centri/turbine compressors up top.

Randy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt convertible
I am looking at superchargers. I want to do it just because it sounds cool. I do not plan on tracking the car huge hp gains are cool but not my focus. I want to still be able to road trip the car and not have to fuss with it after the installation. I like the way the root type has instant boost. The procharger style seems a little easier to install.

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
I have the Edelbrock which is a tvs, installation is not hard if you are mechanically inclined and have help lowering the blower on to the engine. The Edelbrock is very quiet though so if you want the whine, go whipple.

Randy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt convertible
I like the noise
Sponsored